Hi all, I had a few people message me things about future flood planning options from the government. I was very disappointed to see one option of letting the broads take the brunt of it all and being done with it.

Anyone know of any further information on this subject? We need to save the broads, already lost a lot of them from being sold off privately, un cared for and now un navigable or just blocked off. We are loosing more and more beautiful water ways. 

on the other hand, if tolls keep going up like they have been, then I’m sure these problems can be resolved. 🙄

Thanks guys 

kitch

https://icenipost.com/save-the-norfolk-broads-broads-society-response-to-flooding-plan/?fbclid=IwAR3zHAZGR8UD82MYbDFdc4eotAgiGmiR2fKS2EgbrBLxClQS5TT9EjWho0U

IMG_8387.png

This is a 2008 response sent to Gordon Brown as PM,

I suspect these plans have been dropped by now following various huge impacts on the national economy in the last 15 years.

I am no expert but I thought the latest plan was a managed retreat, partly because of a lack of money, hence the problems at Hemsby and many other areas of the country.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If they care  as much about the broads,as they do about Hemsby We have a problem. THIS weekend like many  other storm hit days.The only ones working(without pay),restoring the beach,reconnecting water to properties are the Lifeboat  crew volunteers  and locals.The Politicians like the sound  of there own voice.What they need is less talk and more action.

• Like 5

Why compare the Broads to the situation at Hemsby? Sadly whats happening there today has been happening for hundreds of years - wheres most of Dunwich gone?

I am trying to think of a Broad which has become unnavigable through neglect - I am sure others know better than me and will put me right.

Managed retreat is no management at all. When a home or any other building, is close to falling into the sea the owner must pay demolition and clearance costs themselves (and are forced to do so) and then have to find themselves new homes (premises) . No wonder that this is the policy adopted, no one helps at all!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, marshman said:

I am trying to think of a Broad which has become unnavigable through neglect - I am sure others know better than me and will put me right.

Depends how far back you're talking. Belaugh Broad and Norton's Broad could probably be categorised as such. Hudson's Bay possibly, through abandonment of the staithe - but that may be hard to separate from the land grab which closed Hoveton Great Broad.

20 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Dredging? Where Ian, I presume out at sea.

Hemsby is an enourmous concern which should require more focused attention. A disaster happening, now, today, tonight, and for tomorrow. 

If there is no consideration for the NOW. What hope is there for the future?

The dredging  yes at sea,which according  to fisherman who have fished all there life there life.Have said that has not helped with the coastline.

13 minutes ago, Ray said:

Managed retreat is no management at all. When a home or any other building, is close to falling into the sea the owner must pay demolition and clearance costs themselves (and are forced to do so) and then have to find themselves new homes (premises) . No wonder that this is the policy adopted, no one helps at all!

How can people possibly afford this imposition. 

Is there no compassion.

• Like 2

I am so annoyed  at the lack of concern and help,people are considered in Hemsby.I went to a meeting in February. Not long after storms had washed many yards of dunes out to sea.People were homeless. They were told when they brought  there houses .They would be safe for at least  50 years.And that was not many years ago.Is it to much to ask those in power to at least tray for some solutions to this I amount not an easy fix.But to do nothing will only make matters worse.

• Like 1

Take any guarantee of safety of land for a defined timespan against coastal erosion with a huge pinch of salt. Such promises, or guesses more likely, tend to be shorter lived than anticipated!

Not sure who is telling unwary buyers such things but I’m sure such advice is underwritten with disclaimers.

The past bears no hard and fast guide to the future, by that I mean a significant episode of erosion doesn’t necessarily mean it will continue at that rate. For a while after the reefs were installed at Palling I recall Scratby going through an intense period of media reporting but either it’s disappeared altogether or it’s still there, must confess not been to look for 20 years.

It feels as though there will be an estuary with a lighthouse on the shore at Happisburgh in my lifetime. Make it deeper and it will inevitably grow, similar effect to the dredging unless you build a wall around it like wells or blakeney. I suspect the church and maybe the manor will still be there but if they’re not then perhaps there’ll be a third access point to the sea from the broads.

20 odd years ago there was talk of a barrier across the yare at Yarmouth to stop tidal surges. 
Bit like most things in Brittan we don’t look further down the line everything is so short sighted unfortunately. 

I guess a barrier would work for so long but for me the problem lies with water coming in over the coast and in to horsey. 

Also just asking will the new bridge at Yarmouth stop a bit of tidal flow or make the tide run even more quicker in the harbour ? 

Oh the government are doing something about it. Telling you it’s climate change, in fact everybody is telling everybody it’s climate change. So much so that the public are going say well that’s climate change. What yer going to do?

They will let it go and blame climate change because they said that’s exactly what is going to happen. And it will 

• Like 1

Happisburgh area and to the north has always had major issues (including Shipden and a big bit of road around Trimingham). When I was at school in the mid 80s, we had field trips there and had longshore drift explained to us in great detail. Hemsby and further south seems to be a new phenomenon though. Something has obviously changed, but I suspect it's more likely to be Great Yarmouth harbour, or the offshore wind farms than climate change. It's very easy to see how Sheringham Shoal, Race Bank, etc could be pushing tidal energy away from the coast and down towards Yarmouth.

The trouble is now, we're changing so much of the natural environment in such a short space of time, without studying the effects that ultimately no-one really knows the truth.

• Like 2