Im On The Norfolk Broads Broken Down In My Marina Need A Part Can Anyone Help?

ESSEXMATT

4 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

It would help if you gave us the engine model / type

Looks like a BMC on a PRM gearbox.  Quite an old one as I see there are both engine and gearbox oil coolers.

This "water injection bend" is not a standard part and was made up, by someone, when the engine was converted from the old front heat exchanger to a side mounted one.

It has obviously failed because there is too much length of hot dry exhaust before the raw water cooling joins it.  Hence the need for the asbestos lagging.  It would therefore be better to talk to someone, such as Peachments, about fitting something more suitable. I have seen these castings before but I don't know who made them.  It may have been Herbert Woods as they were the BMC agents in East Anglia at the time.

What I am trying to say is : rather than just find a new one, consider why it failed and see if there is a better way to do it.

• Like 5

You probably hav'nt just made his day.  Maybe stuck on a boat in this weather with possibly no heating and maybe skint to boot.  Poor bugger. 

Agreed - However don't really see what else we can do to help other than the advice that has been freely offered

Griff

• Like 3

I have just remembered that the original BMC (Austin) engines were marinised by Newage.  The 1.5 was called the Newage Captain and the 2.2 was the Newage Commander. This may help in identifying parts.

I believe that Thornycroft marine parts came later.

My guess is that this is a part cast locally for Broads use and Herbert Woods may have used Brook's foundry in Ludham. Not much help as this closed a long time ago.

I think it is worth going to Herbert Woods and see if they still have something lying under the bench in the engineers' shop.

• Like 1

We had this problem with Lady Linda when we bought her 10 years ago. Toby at Moonfleet of stalham made a new one out of stainless steel. Toby has since moved on to I know not where. I have no idea of the cost as it was all part of engine service, bow thruster and electrics upgrade etc costing about £10k.

I think your best bet Matt is to remove broken part and try to find local marine engineers who will know who can make one for you.

As Vaughan has said, your engine looks like a BMC 2.5. If it’s like ours it’s inclined at about 45deg and the water injection bend is far from standard.

Colin 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2024 at 00:03, ESSEXMATT said:

hi im desperate if anyoneIMG_6578.thumb.JPG.8feeb1c9de53e1e5545f856bbfb0076d.JPG has one of these or knows where i can get one many thanks in advance matt

IMG_6580.JPG

Hi, I am told by a man with over 30 years experiance that it is not "Home made" but that it is the Thorny Croft version used on 1.5. 1.8 and 2.5 BMC engines. Sadly no longer available unless you come across the cast aluminium versions but they dont tend to have a long life. Happy hunting.

41 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Hi, I am told by a man with over 30 years experiance that it is not "Home made" but that it is the Thorny Croft version used on 1.5. 1.8 and 2.5 BMC engines.

11 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I believe that Thornycroft marine parts came later.

Thank you for entering the debate, at this late stage.

One way or another we are talking about an engine of the mid 1950s, with a Bowman heat exchange conversion which caused modifications to be made to the pipe work. Some such modifications were successful : some maybe not.

Maybe a supplier such as Peachments will have developed a better solution to the problem, if someone asks them?

• Like 1