Breaking News

imtamping2

Moorings must be booked in advance for min 1 day up to max 7 days. First day £10, then £5 per day thereafter.

There are 8 moorings. The first four suitable for up to 40ft boats, and the last four suitable for up to 32ft boats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

That’s most welcome , any idea of the pricing at all ?

32 or 40 foot boat 1 night March or July     £10.00

2 nights March or July  £15.00

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I may be being cynical, but I can’t help thinking that the Blessed Authority will be watching the popularity of these moorings with interest.  If folk don’t mind stumping up £10 a night here, how long will it be before charges are imposed at BA ones, other than where they already exist?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I may be being cynical, but I can’t help thinking that the Blessed Authority will be watching the popularity of these moorings with interest.  If folk don’t mind stumping up £10 a night here, how long will it be before charges are imposed at BA ones, other than where they already exist?

It’s not £10 per night .

38 minutes ago, imtamping2 said:

It’s not £10 per night .

£10 for the first night.  I wouldn’t think that too many people (other than constant cruisers) would want to stay for a second or more, especially holiday makers who will want to see as much as possible during their break.

18 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

It is if you only want to stay for one night. Yes, Langley Dyke is nice and peaceful, but there aren’t any facilities nearby other than rubbish bins. Seems a bit steep to me. 

A bit steep ? Really  , how much do you pay to park your car for a couple of hours ……these moorings could have easily been lost  to permanent private moorings but the landlord is trying to make them still available to the many …….speechless …….

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, imtamping2 said:

A bit steep ? Really  , how much do you pay to park your car for a couple of hours ……these moorings could have easily been lost  to permanent private moorings but the landlord is trying to make them still available to the many …….speechless …….

Here we go again!  I have no doubt that some people will pay to moor there.  It’s certainly one of my favourite spots on the southern rivers, but my point remains that I can’t help wondering whether the Blessed Authority will use this as a guide to the boating public’s willingness to pay mooring fees at other locations to the ones that are already chargeable.

I’m guessing that payment to moor will be made in advance, so I trust that the moorings will be monitored to ensure that other boats and anglers do not occupy too much space and prevent use by those who have paid.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Here we go again!  I have no doubt that some people will pay to moor there.  It’s certainly one of my favourite spots on the southern rivers, but my point remains that I can’t help wondering whether the Blessed Authority will use this as a guide to the boating public’s willingness to pay mooring fees at other locations to the ones that are already chargeable.

I’m guessing that payment to moor will be made in advance, so I trust that the moorings will be monitored to ensure that other boats and anglers do not occupy too much space and prevent use by those who have paid.

I appreciate what your saying , but come on ,people have to get real . You would pay more to put a tent up in a farmers field for a night ….and yes with no facilities .

and as for BA ….we will leave it there .

• Like 1

I would consider it. We're hiring on the southern rivers later in the year and if I wanted a guaranteed first or last night mooring I just might be tempted as long as I could book the end one.

3 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I would consider it. We're hiring on the southern rivers later in the year and if I wanted a guaranteed first or last night mooring I just might be tempted as long as I could book the end one.

Given how quiet it's been on the southern rivers since the Silverline fleet went to Richardson's I doubt that anyone returning to Brundall or Loddon would need to pay £10 to secure a mooring. If returning to Brundall I would much prefer to book a mooring outside the Ferry at Surlingham or Coldham Hall.

I should also add that there's no way I'll pay £10 to moor at Ranworth either, so maybe I'm on a minority. 

• Like 3

I think owners and hirers may have different attitudes to the charges. I can understand anyone who is out multiple times in the course of a year objecting to running up mooring charges in addition to tolls and everything else that owning a boat costs you. But for a one off hirer it's not such a big deal IMHO.

• Like 2

Excellent news the mooring is coming back. I wouldn't begrudge paying £10 in the slightest to be honest because it's such a fantastic spot. Realistically, the owners are running a business for profit and so I wouldn't necessarily expect to pay less. Price-wise it's similar to Salhouse, the former Pedro's moorings, Ranworth Island and others with no facilities. I also appreciate the opportunity to pre-book.

• Like 3

It seems there really is no pleasing some people :facepalm:Everyone was bemoaning the loss of a popular mooring. Now they are back, but people are moaning about the price. :facepalm:

Just do the maths. 8 moorings, say you rent them out as annual moorings for £2,000 each, that's a relatively hassle free £16k per year. Now lets assume that no one stays more than one night, so not taking advantage of the cheaper mooring, but everyone pays £10 for one night. That's 1600 boats over the course of the season just to break even when compared to renting them as annual moorings. Now add on credit card fees, website costs, policing the mooring to see those that are there have actually prebooked and paid. Your probably looking at closer to 2000 boats over the course of the season and a lot more aggravation to break even.

I know which option I would chose if I was the land owner, but I'm glad they haven't.

• Like 2

I think its funny that they advertise the lack of facilities as a good feature- well I suppose if there are none thats the only way to do it, though to most a lack of facilities would be seen as a disadvantage, not a selling point.

• Like 2

I haven’t made a comment about the cost, other than to suggest that the BA may try to use it as an indicator for attempting to introduce charges at other sites, based on occupancy at Langley.  It’s no secret that our Blessed Authority are pleading poverty and wanted a toll increase of circa 2% more than has been agreed and are applying to the Government for extra funding, allegedly to support navigation.

My understanding is that they’re still trying to introduce charges at Reedham, too.

Having a mooring on the southern rivers, I could well be interested in using the moorings and trust that they will be policed to ensure that, having paid for a space, I can moor, that the moorings will be maintained and the grass trimmed to a reasonable height and not become substantially overgrown.

I’ve moored at Hardley Mill and paying £10 to moor at Langley is really no different, other than there being no electric available.

• Like 3

I have never stayed at Langley Dyke overnight but we had stopped off for a lunch break and / or to let the dogs stretch their legs many times

I couldn't find if they charge for that....

46 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I have never stayed at Langley Dyke overnight but we had stopped off for a lunch break and / or to let the dogs stretch their legs many times

I couldn't find if they charge for that....

It's in their Ts and Cs. Basically you shouldn't turn up and mooor without pre booking and paying first.  The only options for booking are £10;for the first night and £5 per night thereafter.  

2 hours ago, grendel said:

I think its funny that they advertise the lack of facilities as a good feature

As a hirer who likes the peace and quiet and doesn’t want a pub then if there’s no facilities that’s a good place to be. 

• Like 4