River Toll - 2024 - 8:5% Increase

Received an email from the Blessed Authority this morning.

(I immediately replied pointing out the fact that they are STILL LYING calling the Broads a National Park)

Anyroadup after blood pressure reduced slightly - Up it went again:-

The 2024 River toll demand was right there, after last years 13% increase we are now facing an  8:5% increase, that's 21:5% increase in two years

The toll payers both private and hire are yet again being used as cash cows - Getting fleeced once more

Griff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

It’s actually a rise of more than 21.6% over the last two years taking the rise last year into account , surely they must realise that all they will do is reduce the amount of boats on the Broads if this continues resulting in less income from tolls 

• Like 3

So as well as the toll increases why don't they start charging boats to moor up and really take the p+ss.

Oh, they already do  :facepalm:

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

We enjoyed owning a boat on the broads for over 10 years but Im not sad to say Im glad we no longer have a it.

Not having one has also meant we have experienced other things we probably wouldn’t have done with that all consuming financial bottomless pit hanging round our necks

If you are a boat owner I will keep you in my thoughts……..😂

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

We enjoyed owning a boat on the broads for over 10 years but Im not sad to say Im glad we no longer have a it.

Not having one has also meant we have experienced other things we probably wouldn’t have done with that all consuming financial bottomless pit hanging round our necks

I too enjoyed owning my boat for 15 years And am now in the same boat as you (excuse the pun)

Glad i sold it when i did and don't miss it.

Now a caravaner and loving it. if you had asked me a couple of years ago if i would want one i would have said never.

Never wanted one or wanted to tow one, how things have changed.

I hear caravaners complain about how expensive site fees etc  are getting, Ha peanuts compaired to boating owning.

I will be back visiting  Ludham in July but with the caravan for 10 days, looking forward to that.

Hope to meet up with old friends then.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Much the same as us,weve gone back to hire now.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I may have missed something and this is probably a question for BRAG but, JP had a letter signed by five MPs to which he said he would reply. Have I missed the reply? 

I presume the letter from Bill Dixon shared on BRAG around 12th December was the definitive response?

Puts the blame squarely on a lack of government funding and tries to get Duncan Baker on side to plead for more money. I'm sure they've had £1.3m since.

I saw this earlier today.  It does make interesting reading, especially the table of tolls.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the actions of the Blessed Authority, but we could be paying a whole load more elsewhere.

https://www.broads-society.org/post/tolls-on-the-broads-and-other-inland-waterways

I think my biggest concern with regards to the good doctor and the actions of the BA as an organisation, not the individuals who work for it, is the value we get for the money we pay - no new moorings, apparent reticence to renew leases on existing moorings, lack of maintenance etc.  There is a huge amount of apathy towards the organisation, which seem to treat the boating community as a cash cow, which they seem impervious to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fact the Broads Society have locked comments on both the Facebook post and the blog post itself really speaks volumes to me. It's notable that they've been deathly silent until relatively recently and suddenly very noisy as toll payment season approaches.

The blog post itself is interesting, but seems fairly biased, inferring that BA tolls are good value versus CRT ones - but conveniently overlooking that 200% more toll with CRT gives access to virtually the whole country and a vast network approaching 3k miles, rather than 125 or so on the Broads. They could very easily have put a £/mile column on the chart, but have obviously not done so, as it'd look very bad for the Broads.

Personally, I can't help but think that Broads Society are largely on the National Park side and that a lot of the "science" which they're spreading does just support the BA narrative - which is possibly slightly odd given the apparent views of their patron.

• Thanks 1

It seems to be the same with a lot of governing bodies. Use the motorist as a cash cow don't  fix any pot holes but fund hair brained schemes that are completely against the motorist that pay their taxes. Don't laugh if you don't drive because when none of us do they will get their revenue from other sources. Rant over

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Dom.

The CRT and the Norfolk Broads are somewhat different. Why do you question and compare their  system with ours. 

The canal system and the Norfolk Broads are in complete contrast. There is simply no way can you compare their operation to ours with regard to tolls or indeed any other aspect that I can think of  with regard to a comparison whatsoever. 

24 minutes ago, Wussername said:

The CRT and the Norfolk Broads are somewhat different. Why do you question and compare their  system with ours.

I was really doing the opposite and pointing out the error in the Broad Society's logic. I've spent quite a bit of time on various canals, so well aware of the fact they have dramatically more infrastructure to look after (and that includes things like Elsan points, as well as locks).

If you use Broads Society's own chart data, it shows that you get 2.4 miles of canal per pound of toll from CRT. For the Broads, it's just 0.43 miles per pound.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Dom.

The canal system and the Norfolk Broads are in complete contrast. There is simply no way can you compare their operation to ours with regard to tolls or indeed any other aspect that I can think of  with regard to a comparison whatsoever. 

He's not, but the Broads Society are and they should know better.  https://www.broads-society.org/post/tolls-on-the-broads-and-other-inland-waterways

I cannot think of any other UK waterway that could be compared to the Broads in terms of running costs, the majority have locks, weirs etc to maintain and fund.  Some like the Thames also have paid lock keepers to employ.

• Like 4

It'll be interesting to see what the national inflation rate is come April this year.

Last year we when we 'Enjoyed' that 13:1% hike in tolls, the inflation rate for April 2023 was 1:2%.

Since we first tolled 'B.A' in 2007 the annual toll percentage increases up to and including 2023  = 147%

The bank of England inflation rates for the same periods (April) = 43:6%

Or   2007 - £275:71,   2023 - £680:80

This year I shall be doing my own small protest in the way of on April 01st buying a 30 day visitors toll.  Thirty days later I will buy a full yearly toll, less the cost of the thirty day toll already paid.  I did this last year and it cost me not a penny extra but kept a large proportion of funds in my account for a month rather than the Blessed authorities account.  Its perfectly legal too

Griff

• Like 5

Stupid question, but if the BAs ringfenced budget is only for navigation only what does the toll actually pay for? There are no locks to maintain, no old tunnels and aqueducts. No ancient reservoirs nearly collapsing potentially destroying whole towns. The banks are largely 'natural'. Since the recent debate on flooding, we discover that dredging is the responsibility of the EA. OK there are a few free mooring spots which the BA has to maintain, but as we know they are starting to charge for these. Have I missed anything? Maybe we should encourage the BA to charge for the remaining free 24 hour mooring and then reduce the toll to zero.

we discover that dredging is the responsibility of the EA.

Not entirely correct

The Blessed Authority is responsible to maintain navigation to a sufficient depth to enable actual navigation

Of course they have failed spectacularly with more boats now being grounded  / touching bottom at low water than ever on the lower Bure (Pre the current flooding levels of course)

Griff

• Like 3

As I always understood it, it is the BA's responsibility to maintain navigation  and the EA's responsibility to control flooding. Neither has, in my opinion,  succeeded in their objectives,  though they have managed to achieve a position whereby they can blame each other for today's shambles. 

Am I wrong?

• Like 5

Has the point been missed here?  If the river levels remain high, there will be more depth in the rivers, so no grounding and an excuse not to dredge.

Could be they’re not blaming each other, but working together!  :default_hiding:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Unless the EA and BA get their heads together over dredging and flooding there will be a lot of boats unable to pass under Ludham bridge let alone Wroxham and Potter. The flood plain map will be redrawn and property’s will become uninsurable. 
We need 8ft to clear the railway bridges here at Thorpe and have not seen many days where we could transit them.

Just how many boats are going to be stuck upriver of Ludham bridge.

Colin :default_drinks:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1