Which way would you go ?

In light of Robin's recent engine Thread I was wondering what folks thoughts towards engine replacement are .........ok lets assume its a single engine in a Norfolk broads built boat

forget budget .......money no object

Which way would you Go ???

Finny

A big fan of the trusty old Bmc myself Iain ...........recently been reading the Evening Star restoration thread ...good example of a well presented Bmc in that lady . that said I do like Kubota .....I also like Yanmar engines based on past history

confusedfin.com

forget budget .......money no object

Which way would you Go ???

..............sell the boat and buy a holiday place in Italy!!!  Just kidding.....! :-)

If possible, & subject to boat, I would try and squeeze in a Perkins 4.236!!! (4M90)  

Im slightly bias but it would need to be a Kubota based engine.....!

Regards

• Like 2

Ok first of all for the Perkin's lovers - just when you thought you could not get a new 4108 ..along comes this - look no smoke ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKmhPYURtNc

And Jason, just for you a nice 4.236 (4M90) for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FVxJR-2_to

Right ok, so...back on track

The BMC 1500 engine began life in 1954 in the Morris Oxford and Austin Cambridge - I sinceerely hope in 60 years skilled workers around the world managed to advance somewhat since then in engine technology and design, otherwise we would have a Morris Oxford engine in a 2014 Mini.

Personally speaking if money was no object then you should be looking outside the envelope - perhaps getting some skilled people to design from scratch a new engine/electric drive system - would things be more efficient doing away with a propeller and having a 'water jet' type drive, would one engine driving two electric motors to turn two screws help?  - research, test and figure it out - in short to have the best performance which required the least amount of servicing and consumed the least amount of fuel.

• Like 1

I have always liked yanmar engines, they were always my favorite of the engines that I fitted in time building Oyster's.  I like the way everything has its place and looks like it is supposed to be there, also they rev so willingly, the perkins at the time (1999-2007) looked like a tractor engine with pipes all over the show.

up to date and If I had the choice of any I would go and see they guys at Broads tours, they do their own marinising of perkins engines and they are things of beauty, well through the eyes of a lowly grease monkey, not mass produced by who knows who from heck knows where but by engineers with passion and that care.

• Like 1

Thank you Robin for the videos.... however you can keep the PERKINS 4.108!!!!

I've disliked them for many years and this was all because one bit me when I was overhauling it!!!  :-( 

I got the edge of my finger caught in the timing gears when we were setting the play.....My mentor at the time walked 'casually' back to the flywheel end and continued turning the engine over (by hand) until my trapped finger came out of the other side of the idler gear!!!!.......He was 'old school' and I still remember him laughing when he was doing it!  

Sadly my old mentor (Claude Stephenson) is no longer with us and i still miss the old fella!! He was one of the old hire fleet engineers.  

So please keep the 4.108, but the 4.236 is certainly an engine that returned many a boat/crews back home safely......they run forever and because of their reliability they were very popular with fisherman who took their boats to sea.
Plus as previously mentioned Oyster Yachts also had them fitted for many years and it was only the USA emissions that caused the change....., which the owner of Oyster didn't like one bit when it happened!

Regards
Jason

A total refurb on my existing BMC 1.5 thank you very much...or if money is no object...a quick trip on a time machine to take a look and listen to Royal Tudor on her launch day. I have a suspicion...based on the air pumps still fitted and working...that RT had a petrol engine originally, but still I would fit a BMC. For me WD are the essentials of a boat...wood and diesel!

If money were no object

ah, the eternal song of the boat owner.

If however money were no object then for me it would be a diesel / electric hybrid. The diesel would be a marinised automotive engine, probably the VW group 1.6 tdi unit which is already engineered for lumping onto a generator without the need for a gearbox.

A water cooled bi-mex battery controller running sixty four banks each of sixteen 3v 3200mAh disruptive carbon batteries driving a pair of 48v permanent magnet pancake motors.

• Like 2

Perkins Sabre M90..... seems pretty much bullet proof to me....nice and quiet and dosent miss a beat all day long and as long as we aint playing around over breydon is very good on fuel.

Hi Paul,

I'm no expert on hybrid drives, but I do know batteries and motors. If you put that lot on twin screws, you would have fantastic torque and excellent control. You could turn a 40ft boat in it's own length and coming alongside against a strong tide would be a doddle. :bow  :bow