Today's flooding

JennyMorgan

Interesting morning today in the yard, we had a breach in the flood defense bank and the Yare decided to take advantage! Fortunately we were about to get some posts and sandbags in to stem the flow but it got pretty deep in places.

IMG_20141022_094935.jpgIMG_20141022_095104.jpg

IMG_20141022_094942.jpg

IMG_20141022_091311.jpg

IMG_20141022_092327.jpgIMG_20141022_092338.jpg

IMG_20141022_091307.jpg

• Like 1

May the good people of this forum help me understand how this happens at Oulton Broad? How does the 'Fresh' water get that high? I always assumed it was driven by the tide coming in from Yarmouth, but seeing that picture Im struggling to see how my assumption is correct.

Ok Silly question from me.. What happens to the fish? is this water now mostly salt water and all the fresh water fish have pegged it? (or did they manage to swim further up to fresh water and survive!) or this part too salty anyway for fresh water fish?

:shocked Oh my lord, I hope this has all gone by the time we come down on Saturday. Never been on a boat in such conditions and I don't think I want to be!

How on earth do you even begin to moor up anywhere? How would you get the dogs off for a tiddle? I am presuming you would just have to give up and go home!

While high water topping the banks at Reedham has happened before and for many years in the past it does seem to not only be happening more often but the effects are spreading further.  Businesses having to worry each time there is a report on the news about weather events knowing they will be under water – take Freedom at Thorpe – it becomes a battle with the elements.

I was worried looking at the photos of Oulton Broad how much higher levels may need to have been to have once again caused major issues to the Lock (although since its machinery was repaired/replaced after the last big flooding it is said to be more resilient to floods in the future).

As for fish – I guess it is like humans, some will be fit and fast and senses fast and on the spot, other older not so much in good health and slower. So as they find the fresh water turning more salty their instinct and probably somehow in their genes from many many years of other generations tell them to head inland away from the coast (not sure how they know this but wonder of nature).  That would work well on the Bure, fish swimming up to the Thurne or further up towards the river Ant, Horning, Wroxham and as they swim surly finding things ‘behind them’ saltier than in front of them knowing they were heading in the right direction.

On the Southern rivers because the water volumes are larger (wider deeper rivers with larger tidal ranges) I’d guess that escaping the salt water may not be as simple – leave the Waveney thinking you would head on up towards Norwich, only to have to encounter the salt ingress coming from Breydon – head towards Oulton Broad and be at the mercy of water flowing in from Yarmouth and the sheer size and volume of water that is the Broad diluting it.

Where it would be terrible is where you’ve got salt water coming in over the lock gates, at the same time as coming in from Yarmouth poor fish would be trapped between a rock and a hard place.

• Like 2

All getting back to normal already - pretty shortlived in reality and although levels are still high there should be no issues now. 

Up north apart from Upton not sure much was affected - I did not see any evidence of dead fish in Womack and certainly none Candle Dyke and Heigham Sound

I suspect they will have raised the barrier at Herbert Woods basin under the foot bridge, the fish tend to gather in there when the saline water comes up the Thurne. At the right time they raise the barrier to stop the salt water entering. Only drawback for boats is that they can't get in or out.

• Like 1

I was surprised how it had affected so many fish. I guess if we had torrential rain with the surge it may have diluted the salt water a bit more, but then may have made the flooding worse.

25,000 dead fish is a lot, but in the whole of the Broads system is only a small proportion so hopefully they will recover fairly quickly.

Might not bother going pike fishing this weekend now as they are probably feasting on the dead fish along with the cormorants and seagulls.

Hi all,

Karen and i have just got back from our first trip on Lightning. We were moored at Beccles on tuesday night, and woke VERY early to find water everywhere. I was up at 04.30 re-setting the mudweight which had pulled away from the river bed, and re-setting the aft mooring lines, all while wading in 6 inches of water over the quay.

That was the easy bit.

We got up early, as i wanted to monitor the situation, and realised at around 08.00 there were still 3 hours till high tide at Beccles, and by then, the water level had got even higher.

It got to 10.45, and i decided to make a move, in case anything got really bad, I was`nt sure how deep the water was, so decided to be a bit ingenious. The solution was a deep bin liner tucked into my sea boots, followed by a bin bag taped up around each thigh (pictures to follow).

Lightning has a small folding boarding ladder on the cabin top, so i used this to get down to the quay, which i have to admit i was more than a little apprehensive about. I was in water above my knees (about 2ft), and had to disconnect the leccy hook up, which i did have the common sense to disconnect from the tower first so there would`nt be any risk of a shock had it fallen in the water.

After that, i untied the mooring lines, lifted the mudweight and cast off.

We were still pushing the last of the flood till about 11.30, and then had the tide in our favour.

As we neared Somerleyton, i started to consider whether we`d have enough room to get under, but the bridge was open, and looked like it was staying open permenatly, as the gauge was reading no more than 6ft 6ins. It`s the first time i`ve ever had a broadland swing bridge open for us on a boat which built as a "Commodore Bridgemaster". 

As we headed up and out of the New cut, we were once again pushing a very hard tide which we did so all the way to Loddon.

It certainly was an eventful moorning, with several first along the way.

• Like 5