The White Horse, Upton

Poppy

Good news in the EDP ( not on their web site yet), The White Horse has won a £4000 grant to convert an old barn next to the pub in to a community shop.

I'm sure that this will be welcomed by all in the village, and especially by those visiting Upton dyke by boat.

• Like 8

Back in the 70s when the kids were young that was a games room and when there was only a couple of kids left in there Winkle would bring them into the pub for the rest of the evening.never forget a voice from the clear telling us to help ourselves to a drink when we walked in with no one in sight

• Like 2

This really is a cracking pub and I hope it goes from strength to strength which I'm sure that it will.

It's thankfully been out of the clutches of the pubcos for many years now but even so it does demonstrate how much more viable a village pub can be in the right hands and free of tie :-)

post-38-0-54780700-1419177531_thumb.jpg

I remember the owner doing a mini bus run years ago, so the folk could go and collect their pensions and shopping. Sadly now, too long a walk for me, but delighted to see it has avoided the clutches of Punch Taverns and the like! Long may they flourish. cheersbar

xmas6 Iain.

• Like 2

Can you actually get a decent sized boat up the dyke and turn it round in summer? This time of year might be OK, but when I have been there in summer it is tight to say the least.

There are some limited moorings I think towards the river end though? Still a good brisk walk to the pub though.

Friday night is Eastwood Whelpton boats only on the yard side, and best not attempted on a Saturday until 4.00 pm at the earliest. Yes, it's a bit tight for one of Clive's finest but turning can be done with warps. Do NOT try it on the engine if inexperienced!

There are one or two moorings at the river end of the dyke, a pleasant walk from there adds another ten minutes to get to the pub.

All the moorings on the right hand side are private.

A case for a few more moorings at the river end methinks - might help the pub as well.

I have been there when it was so busy I had trouble getting the 12ft dinghy up the slip. May have been a Saturday as well.

Will stick to the winter fishing trips when sane people stay indoors.

Hi Mark

I’d agree with Poppy’s comments – turning can be done but great care is needed. I have seen a very large Barnes craft down there but I would be wary about going down in anything much over thirty feet. The photo shows the view from the slipway looking up the dyke towards the main river. As can be seen there is not a lot of room for manoeuvre! The wind can be quite strong at times too.

The Whelpton craft are lifted in winter so it is often possible to get in at that side out of season. You can moor there in a hire craft in season but avoiding change over times.

Another option is to moor at the top of the dyke near the main river, walk down to assess the situation before venturing down but all this takes time of course.

There is probably room for one largish or maybe 2 smaller boats at the top of the dyke between the end of the private moorings and the start of the fishing platforms on the main river.

If you are not confident and if there is room it’s probably best to moor near the main river. As Poppy says it adds another 10 minutes to the trip but the pub is so good I think it’s worth it.

post-38-0-79017200-1419275550_thumb.jpg

Turning whatever larger craft depends on the number of boats moored up at Eastwood Whelpton's. It can be done with respect for moored boats and with care.

With regards to expanding the existing public moorings it is not possible as the dyke is not wide enough to accommodate such moorings. There is only a small space for visiting private craft and variable space at EW's for hire craft depending on how many of their own fleet are moored there.

I went up the dyke March this year to visit Cheshire Cat. Anyroadup, I was single crewing at the time and was concerned about turning 'B.A' round (40ft) so I did it the cowards way, turned 'B.A' in the main river, three short blasts on the tooter and went from the mouth to the basin astern.  Which confused Geofrey somewhat, due to his limited eyesight did not recognise 'B.A' as he was trying to 'See' a varnished bow with white paint either side, all he could 'See' was a dark transom :huh:

Griff

P.S - Photo is not Upton Dyke of course

post-65-0-83595000-1419379916_thumb.jpg