Captain's Blog | Christmas Special

LondonRascal

It has been 4 years since The Captain's Blog began - and so much has been covered, explored and experienced in that time together with a whole host of people I have met along the way and friends that have been made.

I thought it might be nice to go back over some of the 'best bits' of the many videos from where it all began back in 2011 to more recent outings even sharing with many followers some of the salty trips too.

So, as a treat for Christmas (and to help contain the withdrawal of being on the water many of you are no doubt suffering) here is the Christmas Special and the first outing for the new video indents that will accompany the Captain's Blog in 2015.

To everyone here on the NBN have a very happy Christmas and may the New Year bring continued boating bliss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8vchlWlMk&feature=youtu.be

• Like 9

Robin after seeing you handle a can opener did they really let you loose on Rhapsody?

That was so funny to see a man so desperate for a hot dog! Maybe you should have eaten the chocolate bronzer! I have to confess had the same trouble with a can of tuna and a pound land tin opener!!!

And didn't realise you could dance and sing- X factor here you come.

Top drawer and looking forward to the next captains blog.

Happy Christmas.

I'm pleased it has been enjoyed - I did not want to make it too long because it may have gone on a bit, but also because it took long enough to download videos then find the good bits in ones and then put them in a compilation.  Heaven knows how long it must take to do those shows on television 'Top 100' type.

From my point of view I am pleased after all this time and so many boats a good formula of saying it as it is to the camera  along with some scenic scenes has worked so long and I am itching for next year and the spring to arrive.

• Like 5

Robin, what can I say? Brilliant. To be honest I haven't seen most of this before, but this was well edited and very entertaining. You made me laugh( hot dogs, mad world!) but covered the edgy side of Broads boating too ( breakdown on San Julian and Great Yarmouth on Sunlit Horizon). That Great Yarmouth sequence wasn't slack water was it?

Simon, no it was not slack water but it was as the Bure is at full ebb.  We had to do this or we would not have reached Acle and the Bridge Inn before Sunset. 

This is a good example of why you always should follow the advice as per tide times and not something I'd do alone but with 3 other boats and all in radio contact with B.A taking the lead reporting back and not charging off leaving us less powered boats behind we made it ok and once past the Yacht Station things markedly improved.

You can watch the full version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PXTXOlBUSI

• Like 1

Ah ok so you were long before slack then. I experienced very similar on Tropic Horizon last year and for a similar reason. We didn't want to moor at Great Yarmouth (I never ever do) and we wanted to make Stracey before dusk. The boat was barely moving just as in your video. I've learned from the experience having stuck to slack water for years before. We would have been better to stop at Berney Arms and then go for the early morning slack.

Trying to come downstream with the tide like that doesn't bear thinking about!

Enjoyed very much Robin. The tin opener had me in stitches again. I always used to take a can opener with us until I started using Maffetts. Did not take one this year as I knew heirs would be good. Excellent frying pand and a workable bread knife too.

Keep on making the blogs. Sharing the broads is a good thing to do.

• Like 1