Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Another fine dinner with top class service last night. 

Now at Potter Heigham- I have some shattering news . . . .

I have single handed done my second bridge with 'B.A' astern (girly crew in La'tharms) got safely through easily. Even left screen and canopy up - yep the footbridge at H.W's. Popped in for a pump out and water,  going in astern put her correct for berth and pump out hose. 

Whilst in reception there was a returning hire boat skipper complaining that they ran out of water TWICE ! !   Another candidate for Darwin membership there

Griff

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Sailed from Salhouse Sunday forenoon through to Malthouse Broad and onto Ranworth Staithe for the afternoon / Evening

0645 Monday morning and I'm woken by the sound of a running diesel next door.  No problem I thought, our neighbour to Port last night had the manners to say he was leaving early at around 0730 and would try to be as quiet as possible, he must be getting off even earlier than he stated then.  0700 and it had become obvious that this engine was running to our Stbd side, what was worse I could easily smell exhaust fumes in my cabin on the port side, wifes and daughters cabins are on the Stbd side right next to the offending vessel  and due to the hot wx we had been enjoying, all cabin windows had been left open day and night.  Time to react and fast, dressed at the rush,  checked they were both still breathing (They were and awake now) and shot outside.

'Are you departing'?

'Yes'

'When'?

'In about an hour' (It was now about 0700)

'Right please turn your engine off immediately, the noise is intrusive, the exhaust fumes are a big problem and engines should not be run on moorings before 0800'

'We want hot water'

'I've got plenty, how much do you want'?

Engine turned off, door slammed, peace and quiet, we could breath

The selfish 'Richard Cranium' (Not allowed to call him a 'Dick Head' apparently) was on a large hireboat from H.W's (Not allowed to state the name of the boat either)  So that was me up, no loss there then as it was a cracking morning yet again.  I assisted our port neighbour to depart at 0730 he stated that the H.W's hirer was proper out of order too.

0800-ish and a lady came calling asking for help stating they could not start their engine as their (New) batteries were flat and could I help?  No jump leads onboard so over I went to t'other side of dinghy dyke with my multimeter

I will interject here to state the night before after an excellent dinner in the Maltsters, DVD Film onboard, (Hancock) I had ideas of spending an hour or so fishing this morning

Yes two flat batteries, only two batteries onboard too, no separate cranking battery / split charge system either.  Pretty flowers, only one thing for it, I would have to trek back to 'B.A' lift engine boards, extract cranking battery and bring it over here. Then a knight in shining armour appeared in the dinghy dyke with his very nice posh Shetland 2+2, 'Here you go Griff I can easily lend you a battery in a jiffy' (I have no idea of his name but was glad for the assistance) so 2 x new flat batteries out, 1 x charged battery in, fired up their perky, changed batteries back over to charge them - checked yes they were accepting a charge - changed battery back to Shetland owner and all was well in the world

So a complete contrast to the morning in the sunshine on the idyllic Broads.  One selfish ignorant Richard Cranium (Still can't call him a dick head apparently).  One knight in shining armour assisting me to help out a fellow boating couple.

I advised the couple of Boulters breakdown service, and recommended LBBy to supply them with a dedicated cranking battery / spit charging system.  Shining Knight also wanted Boulters number too.  Both were of course issued with NBN Contact cards (I gave quite a few out over the last 12 x days)

Back onboard 10 mins later skipper of rescued craft came over offering payment, which was of course turned down as I told him, one day you could be helping me out, and taking payment for assisting fellows Broads boaters is not the way we do thing round these parts.

We sailed in blazing sunshine (Yet again) about 0930 for LBBy for a pump out / diesel.  I never did get my rod wet that morning

Griff

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Sailed from Salhouse Sunday forenoon through to Malthouse Broad and onto Ranworth Staithe for the afternoon / Evening

0645 Monday morning and I'm woken by the sound of a running diesel next door.  No problem I thought, our neighbour to Port last night had the manners to say he was leaving early at around 0730 and would try to be as quiet as possible, he must be getting off even earlier than he stated then.  0700 and it had become obvious that this engine was running to our Stbd side, what was worse I could easily smell exhaust fumes in my cabin on the port side, wifes and daughters cabins are on the Stbd side right next to the offending vessel  and due to the hot wx we had been enjoying, all cabin windows had been left open day and night.  Time to react and fast, dressed at the rush,  checked they were both still breathing (They were and awake now) and shot outside.

'Are you departing'?

'Yes'

'When'?

'In about an hour' (It was now about 0700)

'Right please turn your engine off immediately, the noise is intrusive, the exhaust fumes are a big problem and engines should not be run on moorings before 0800'

'We want hot water'

'I've got plenty, how much do you want'?

Engine turned off, door slammed, peace and quiet, we could breath

The selfish 'Richard Cranium' (Not allowed to call him a 'Dick Head' apparently) was on a large hireboat from H.W's (Not allowed to state the name of the boat either)  So that was me up, no loss there then as it was a cracking morning yet again.  I assisted our port neighbour to depart at 0730 he stated that the H.W's hirer was proper out of order too.

0800-ish and a lady came calling asking for help stating they could not start their engine as their (New) batteries were flat and could I help?  No jump leads onboard so over I went to t'other side of dinghy dyke with my multimeter

I will interject here to state the night before after an excellent dinner in the Maltsters, DVD Film onboard, (Hancock) I had ideas of spending an hour or so fishing this morning

Yes two flat batteries, only two batteries onboard too, no separate cranking battery / split charge system either.  Pretty flowers, only one thing for it, I would have to trek back to 'B.A' lift engine boards, extract cranking battery and bring it over here. Then a knight in shining armour appeared in the dinghy dyke with his very nice posh Shetland 2+2, 'Here you go Griff I can easily lend you a battery in a jiffy' (I have no idea of his name but was glad for the assistance) so 2 x new flat batteries out, 1 x charged battery in, fired up their perky, changed batteries back over to charge them - checked yes they were accepting a charge - changed battery back to Shetland owner and all was well in the world

So a complete contrast to the morning in the sunshine on the idyllic Broads.  One selfish ignorant Richard Cranium (Still can't call him a dick head apparently).  One knight in shining armour assisting me to help out a fellow boating couple.

I advised the couple of Boulters breakdown service, and recommended LBBy to supply them with a dedicated cranking battery / spit charging system.  Shining Knight also wanted Boulters number too.  Both were of course issued with NBN Contact cards (I gave quite a few out over the last 12 x days)

Back onboard 10 mins later skipper of rescued craft came over offering payment, which was of course turned down as I told him, one day you could be helping me out, and taking payment for assisting fellows Broads boaters is not the way we do thing round these parts.

We sailed in blazing sunshine (Yet again) about 0930 for LBBy for a pump out / diesel.  I never did get my rod wet that morning

Griff

Hang on a minute , its only a request that engines should not be run before 8 am not a bylaw , that said if fumes are entering your boat then that's as good a reason as any to state the obvious , plenty of hire boats leave such as stokeby very early and in the fog too but no one bats an eyelid .

As for the shining knight situation that's exactly how things are done round these parts but yea well done I would do the same no matter what time of day .

I can fully appreciate the running of engines thing more so for fumes rather than noise but that said it is only a request not an actually bylaw .

I'm all for not name and shame there are other places that do that ! Mostly without any evidence , that aside its very easy to get things wrong  about folks .

Given that Griff's daughter is expecting, I think he was remarkably/commendably restrained in his dealings with the 'we want hot water' citizens. 

Why is the concept of showering when under way so little understood? 

Yes we help each other on the Broads, long may it remain so.

• Like 3

plenty of hire boats leave such as Stokeby very early and in the fog too but no one bats an eyelid .

Nor should they bat an eyelid.   Departing / Arriving at any time of night is an acceptable evolution (Assuming of course boats have nav lights / insurance and the like)

The two points I'm trying to get across here, first off the noise thing - It's proper anti social and a totally selfish attitude at 0645, yes many folk are up, but some maybe not want to be woken at that hour - it is their choice - or should be

The more important point.  The scenario of said selfish neighbour wanting hot water at that time in a morning  -  just imagine if you will that the boat they were on had a v.quiet exhaust, that all of us was in a deep sleep. It was a summers night so cabin windows were open.  If I had not woken up, the very real chance is that none of us would have woken up at all ever again.  It could have so easily happened

Griff

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

By way of a contrast, there was a lovely family at Salhouse who asked for help at about 9pm as all their lights had failed. Cleverer people than I am diagnosed that an inverter had drained their batteries. To get light going they would have needed to run their engine, instead they accepted the loan of some led wall lights we had put aboard to use in the meet tent. Nice people.

• Like 5

Evolution completed successfully which blocked the river off to any other watercraft completely as the other arch has shallow water underneath it.  The sight of these three classic woodies in this location caused quite an interest from the locals passing over the bridge

Griff

BA NBN 336.JPG

BA NBN 337.JPG

• Like 2

Ricado, Although I accept it is not a bylaw, it is extremely bad mannered to run ones engines before a certain time (08:00 seems to be the accepted rule of thumb) This does not apply to someone making an early start assuming that the "engine warming period' is kept to a reasonable degree (say two or three minutes max)

I do however agree with you and the name and shame rule of the forum. Too easy for it to turn into "Trial by forum"  which many of us dislike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And after introducing ourselves the the 'Ribs of Beef' and having a libation or two we departed back down river to the yacht station and on to rejoin the Yare.    The pub is dog friendly btw

Oh, nearly forgot, this is the second time I have taken 'B.A' up to New Mills Pond.  The first time the state of tide must have been lower as I touched bottom with the bow and could not get right into the pond.  This time we went on a higher rising tide, as a result all three craft got right into the pond and turned successfully, had to be proper careful though and take things very gingerly, not for the faint hearted in craft of this size / draft

Griff

BA NBN 338.JPG

BA NBN 339.JPG

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ricado, Although I accept it is not a bylaw, it is extremely bad mannered to run ones engines before a certain time (08:00 seems to be the accepted rule of thumb) This does not apply to someone making an early start assuming that the "engine warming period' is kept to a reasonable degree (say two or three minutes max)

I do however agree with you and the name and shame rule of the forum. Too easy for it to turn into "Trial by forum"  which many of us dislike.

Look I'm not disagreeing with you or Griff but the post clearly said " engines should not be run before 8 am" that is a recommendation that is all , yes it common decency .

I do however have a big problem with a later post Indicating that the river in Norwich was blocked off as it was impossible to navigate past 3 boats moored together , that is a navigational by law ie obstruction of the navigation .

As for hire craft leaving in fog and no one should bat an eyelid , where exactly are the nav lights on a hire boat ?  , are the covered insurance wise for travel in those conditions ?  given that they are predominantly white and virtually invisible , it's far easier to see a hire boat traveling at night ( not allowed) with the forward cabin lights on than one in the fog in daylight hrs .

6 hours ago, Ricardo said:

As for hire craft leaving in fog and no one should bat an eyelid , where exactly are the nav lights on a hire boat ?  , are the covered insurance wise for travel in those conditions ?  given that they are predominantly white and virtually invisible , it's far easier to see a hire boat traveling at night ( not allowed) with the forward cabin lights on than one in the fog in daylight hrs .

In May, when I went down from Reedham Ferry in the fog I could just see both banks and it was full daylight by then, although 0500 in the morning. I simply laid a small LED torch on the peak of the cabin top above my head, and this precaution was appreciated by Sprit of Breydon when I stopped for a chat with them at Berney to ask about going onto Breydon. They obviously saw no problem with me navigating in a hire boat and my torch was a lot more visible than their own navigation lights.

Perhaps, again, it's a matter of common sense.

• Like 3

Ricardo to answer your points:- (Just called in at our hovel whilst allowing clients floor tiles to cure).

Look I'm not disagreeing with you or Griff but the post clearly said " engines should not be run before 8 am" that is a recommendation that is all , yes it common decency .

Common decency - agreed - but more importantly than that it is potentially lethal in some circumstances / locations as was the case at Ranworth Staithe Monday morning.  I have not the time to go trawling through the whole of the BA's byelaws, if there isn't one concerning death by dangerous exhaust fumes, then in my opinion there dam well should be and they need updating, especially in light of recent tragic events and nowadays being more enlightened / educated.  Our onboard carbon monoxide alarms didn't go off as they are not situated in each and every cabin.  So you can stick with your opinion on recommendations, whilst I will stick to keeping me and my crew alive

I do however have a big problem with a later post Indicating that the river in Norwich was blocked off as it was impossible to navigate past 3 boats moored together , that is a navigational by law ie obstruction of the navigation.

Correct, guilty as charged your Lordship.   I'll no doubt be keel hauled next time afloat.  Of course what you are not aware of is that there were three craft triple moored for only approximately  five minutes while the photo was taken as prior to that Lady Christina was astern on the floating pontoon aft of 'B.A' and Star Premier (I can publish photo's if you are in any doubt).    Whilst triple moored and blocking the river there was at least one skipper onboard as can be clearly seen in the photo's keeping a lookout.    Also we checked up/down the river before getting all three craft together.  So if your big problem really is that big I suggest you contact the BA, (you have my permission to use the photo) let them deal with it then hopefully your big problem will become a little one.  I was not aware that I had to scrutinise every post in minute detail before posting same, I thought this was a discussion forum, hang on a moment that was sarcastic - apologies, I know it is a discussion forum - Sorry

Ricardo:-  As for hire craft leaving in fog and no one should bat an eyelid , where exactly are the nav lights on a hire boat ?  , are the covered insurance wise for travel in those conditions ?  given that they are predominantly white and virtually invisible , it's far easier to see a hire boat traveling at night ( not allowed) with the forward cabin lights on than one in the fog in daylight hrs . 

Griff:-  Nor should they bat an eyelid.   Departing / Arriving at any time of night is an acceptable evolution (Assuming of course boats have nav lights / insurance and the like) 

This one is a classic example of reading but then the brain changing the words about.  My post -  nowhere did I state hire craft.  Have a look again it's right here in front of you.  I was / still am referring to craft legally allowed to navigate at night / reduced visibility.

There, I hope that has respectfully answered your points.  It's good to talk :default_icon_razz:

Griff

• Like 3