Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

29 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

20170830_130549.jpg

That's a very good point. Anyone know why "petrol" has been singled out?

Diesel engines from cold start produce less incomplete burnt material therefore less carbon monoxide than petrol but produce far more toxins in the way of carcinogen particles. BUT neither is safe as it really does not take much CO to incapacitate. The key is incomplete one oxygen not two ie CO not CO2, that is why not fully extinguished bar- B Qs are so deadly.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

while not experiencing fog like this on a boat, there was one time when driving on Romney Marsh in my van, where we had both sliding doors open and were keeping between the white line at the edge of the road and the white line in the middle of the road, visibility was a few feet further than the end of the bonnet- you could not see the road surface, and there are a lot of big ditches beside the roads on the marsh. we proceeded at less than walking pace and arrived - eventually.

In the late sixties I was driving back home to Chorleywood from Acton along the western Avenue when I felt that I had a punture. I continued as the fog was so thick a few more hundred yards and turned into The Millett Arms car park to change the wheel. I got out at the front of about 6 cars that had followed me in. All must have been fixed on the tail lights infront of them.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

20170830_130549.jpg

That's a very good point. Anyone know why "petrol" has been singled out?

I think that notice is quite reasonable, since recent deaths have been caused by petrol engines, which emit a lot of CO. As Chris says, CO is not CO2. We emit a more dangerous level of CO2 in a boat cabin, when we breathe out! Hence the need for ventilation.

I showed, in this same discussion last year, that a diesel in neutral on tick over is still emitting 17% oxygen from its exhaust. This is because it is a compression ignition engine, which is drawing pure air into its cylinders. When you want to rev up, you pump more fuel through the injectors. A petrol engine however, is drawing in a mix of fuel and air which is then ignited by a spark. Not the same thing.

How many people have so far succumbed to the fumes from a diesel engine on a mooring? None that I have ever heard of, and although the particles from their fumes are most unpleasant I don't regard them as a significant risk when running at low revs in neutral.

• Thanks 1

Having had a good wade through the Broads Regs there appears to be no requirement for lights in Bad light conditions due to rain fog or snow only for before sunrise and after sunset.

There is a regulation for sound signals in Fog Regs 25 and 50, ie. You should make a sound signal at not less than 2 minute intervals.

Fog... fog is defined by the Meteorological office is mist thick enough to prevent visibility at 100Metres (328ft)

Smoke and emissions are Broads Reg 84,

The master of a vessel shall not permit the vessel to emit smoke or fumes or make any noise or nuisance which gives reasonable grounds for annoyance to any other person.

Noise is Broads Reg 85,

The master of a vessel shall ensure that no musical instrument, television or radio receiver or any other apparatus aboard the vessel is used in such a way that it causes nuisance or gives reasonable grounds for annoyance to any other person.

• Thanks 1

I remember once that a sailing boat, with children on it, (one girl and one boy aged about 12 to 14) and an old lady got caught in fog on Breydon. I think the outcome was that they got grounded outside the posts. The good thing was that when the fog lifted, a boy called Tom (Dudgen, I think) saved them by sending food and drink over, after a pug had been passed from boat to boat with a line.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, donnygeoff said:

I remember once that a sailing boat, with children on it, (one girl and one boy aged about 12 to 14) and an old lady got caught in fog on Breydon. I think the outcome was that they got grounded outside the posts. The good thing was that when the fog lifted, a boy called Tom (Dudgen, I think) saved them by sending food and drink over, after a pug had been passed from boat to boat with a line.

3 girls, and one boy and an old Lady- Port and Starboard were with them too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am a member of the arthur ransome facebook group, and recently one of the twins sent Sophie Neville (Titty from the 1974 film, and who worked on the production team of swallows and amazons forever- the TV series on coot club and big 6) some photos from the filming - the upshot was that both of the twins from that production joined the facebook page, and posted some of their memories of the filming.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Smoke and emissions are Broads Reg 84,

The master of a vessel shall not permit the vessel to emit smoke or fumes or make any noise or nuisance which gives reasonable grounds for annoyance to any other person.

Thanks for finding this one.  No mention of times which personally for me is even better.  It covers the situation 24/7

Griff

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Having had a good wade through the Broads Regs there appears to be no requirement for lights in Bad light conditions due to rain fog or snow only for before sunrise and after sunset.

There is a regulation for sound signals in Fog Regs 25 and 50, ie. You should make a sound signal at not less than 2 minute intervals.

Fog... fog is defined by the Meteorological office is mist thick enough to prevent visibility at 100Metres (328ft)

Neither Bye Law 25 nor Bye Law 50 mentions ‘fog’. The expression used in those bye laws is “restricted visibility”.

Bye Law 6 – Interpretation: “Restricted visibility” means any condition in which visibility is restricted by fog, mist, falling snow, heavy rain storms, sand storms, smoke or similar causes.”

Part II of the bye laws deals with the Exhibition of Lights and Shapes. In that Part II, bye law 33 (c) requires that The lights prescribed by these Byelaws shall also be exhibited from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in all other circumstances when it is deemed necessary.”

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grendel said:

I am a member of the arthur ransome facebook group, and recently one of the twins sent Sophie Neville (Titty from the 1974 film, and who worked on the production team of swallows and amazons forever- the TV series on coot club and big 6) some photos from the filming - the upshot was that both of the twins from that production joined the facebook page, and posted some of their memories of the filming.

All I can say is I wish Jerry Hullabaloo had drowned on Breydon and then we would not have had to endure bl^&*dy Downton Abbey.

• Sad 1

Only joking I actually watched the first series then gave up. Apart from Thomas hardy and Daphne DuMaurier I hardy ever read novels. I am afraid I am a documentary type, World about us, Planet earth, Travel, Art and History.

• Like 1

documentary not really my bag, although I do like history matters Tend to go for quizzes, if | correctly answer a  question on University Challenge it makes my day! Also quite like crime drama (Morse, Lewis etc.) some cookery programmes (not bake off!) and  Judge John Deed was my favourite programme of all time, thought the scripts  were so cleverly conceived. How could you have watched the first series of Downton Abbey without getting hooked? Beats me!

CarolE

1 minute ago, Polly said:

Chris! Not a Patrick OBrian reader???:594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

That is actually very strange, I was reading one in 1974 and forgot it when I packed my case to work in Copenhagen for a week, so at Heathrow I bought two books "The Dove" and "The World is all Islands" and only ever read true books of the sea again. The book was "Master and Commander" but time ran out on my ticket and it was returned. I have always felt guilty about it because it was drummed into us at Prep School "if you start a book you must finish it" it is one of only three or four books that I have abandoned in my 68 years.

Now then, where was I?  Oh yes, missed a photo of 'B.A' exiting New Mills pond, first time I have actually been able to get her right into the pond.  I was brave enough to make sure out of the three craft I was the last one to enter!

And here's a good-un of one of the NBN's most senior skippers.  Now you have to ask yersen was this taken:-   Before a hard days skippering,  After a hard days skippering   or even during a hard days skippering ?  :default_icon_twisted:

Griff

BA NBN 340.JPG

BA NBN 341.JPG

• Haha 6

On our way up river to Norwich as we approached the downstream rail bridge to leading to the original course of the river to Thorpe. 6ft8" airdraft was showing on the bridge marker, rude not to.  Through we went with the windscreen up giving us a whole 1" clearance.  By the time we got to the upper rail bridge the airdraft was down to 6ft7" that would have meant scraping varnish off the top of the screen, so down it came.

The riverside through Thorpe is very pretty (Well most of it)  Two pubs and free moorings.  Just why have we not stopped here before with 'B.A' then?  Maybe I'll consider taking the Lads week crews here during our annual October visit.  I need to research the pubs first though, check to see if they have dart boards, dog friendly, all male crew friendly, real ales, pretty bar staff (Preferably female!) etc

Griff

BA NBN 343.JPG

BA NBN 344.JPG

BA NBN 345.JPG

BA NBN 346.JPG

BA NBN 347.JPG

BA NBN 348.JPG

BA NBN 349.JPG

BA NBN 350.JPG

BA NBN 351.JPG

• Like 5

On 8/31/2017 at 18:58, Polly said:

For your prep school penance, I suggest you try again...and then go on to the other 31! 

They are impeccably researched books and the character development and literary style are both exemplary! 

I wiil, I have a 21 hour flight in October so I will get stuck in.

• Like 1