Miserable gits

alexandlorna

Grace,

Do you have a death wish? :hardhat:  Alex will be like me, being a Scot. Placid, gentle easy going :dance  and best of all wont let his good lady buy shoes on a whim. That makes him very sensible too. Now go back into your stern cabin, there are TEN rag n sticks heading towards you!  :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

Bikers always use to nod/wave at each other, but seems a lot less of them do that now.

Do those horrible people who drive those slow, dangerous looking shed like things  - Oh caravans and motor homes I remember now :hardhat:  :hardhat:  still wave to each other? Or has that gone wayward as well?

As said on the forum, it's all part of the fun, but guess if it's what you do all the time then it might get tedious - that's why I want to retire so I can sample the tedium of being on the boat too much! :party:

• Like 2

I used to run a LandRover Defender.  LandRover Defender drivers wave to each other more often than not.

I sold my defender and bought a Ford Mondeo but I carried on waving to LandRover Defender drivers out of habit. I still do... it really worries them I'm sure. Now I smile and wave to all sorts of cars. Don't know about them, but it makes me happy!  :)

Ps, I now drive a LandRover Discovery and wave to a lot of Mondeo drivers. :) :)

• Like 6

I can remember the times when driving down the road that if another driver let you out from a side road or let you through a narrow gap before them a wave of "Thanks" was always appreciated.

It seems that nowadays a lot of drivers have more rights to be on the road than I do and obviously don't think they should say "thanks" to anyone.

How much does it cost to raise a hand to acknowledge the fact that they have allowed you to go first?

Jeff

• Like 5

I can remember the times when driving down the road that if another driver let you out from a side road or let you through a narrow gap before them a wave of "Thanks" was always appreciated.

It seems that nowadays a lot of drivers have more rights to be on the road than I do and obviously don't think they should say "thanks" to anyone.

How much does it cost to raise a hand to acknowledge the fact that they have allowed you to go first?

Jeff

The rules of the road dictate you only doff your cap to people driving the same or better quality vehicles than yourself.

Those with inferior vehicles a to be "just" tolerated and never acknowled..

• Like 1

Bikers always use to nod/wave at each other, but seems a lot less of them do that now.

Do those horrible people who drive those slow, dangerous looking shed like things  - Oh caravans and motor homes I remember now :hardhat:  :hardhat:  still wave to each other? Or has that gone wayward as well?

As said on the forum, it's all part of the fun, but guess if it's what you do all the time then it might get tedious - that's why I want to retire so I can sample the tedium of being on the boat too much! :party:

I can fully recommend the retired bit Mark. It sure beats working!  :naughty:  :dance  :naughty:  :dance

cheers Iain.

Iain, I am worried though that I will keep falling over and blaming fire extinguisher locations to get a discount on my boating holiday! :naughty:  :naughty:  :bow  :bow   :bow  :angel:  :angel:  

And you were sober at the time so no excuses either. :party:  :party:

I am looking forward to it.

Jeff

If everyone used courtesy when driving on the roads, it would be an ideal world, but there are too many selfish drivers on the roads these days. I will always let someone out of a side road in front of me, if the traffic is heavy, or allow someone wanting to turn right. This avoids holding up any traffic behind them.

Being an ex truck driver, you learn a lot about road behaviour.

If you see a truck waiting to get out of a side road into the traffic flow, when it is busy, flash him with your headlights and allow him out, especially if he is wanting to turn right. He will thank you for it.

If you are allowing a long vehicle to turn left from a side road in front of you, always allow enough space, so that he can swing over to your side of the road, they need lots of space to clear the trailer rear end.

This is where a lot of car drivers don't understand that a long vehicle need lots more space when turning, than a car does.

Just be courteous to other drivers, don't be one of those drivers who doesn't give a s...t about any one else on the road. There are lot's of them about, so don't be one of them.

• Like 7

I wave at everyone on the boat. (or aim to.. if i'm trying to stop the boat from crashing (aka mooring up) I may forget!)  I find the majority do too.. although less seem to if it's raining  :summertime: perhaps they can't see through the rain :) I have noticed though that people seem wary to wave on when we are Orca though.. not sure why? it doesn't actually kill anything, well not yet...

I do remember when being completely confused when i first hired though and someone waved.. we thought something was up with the boat so stopped had a looked around the boat... after the first few times we worked it out (Joys of being from London!)... 

• Like 3

Lol I'm from London (Originally)... moved to Medway recently although not sure that's better?! And we used to "save" fenders found floating in the water (and no one around looking for them!)... although I'll probably only do now if they are better than the ones we have.. ;)cheers

• Like 1

Lol I'm from London (Originally)... moved to Medway recently although not sure that's better?! And we used to "save" fenders found floating in the water (and no one around looking for them!)... although I'll probably only do now if they are better than the ones we have.. ;)cheers

Hmm you should have bought the PINK fenders, Alan, after all  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Alan, when you say "floating" is that still attached to a boat or not? And if still attached why would we be looking for them?

Dont worry I'm originally from Essex and still have the white stilettos to prove it (oops wrong forum for that) :party:  :party:  :party:

• Like 1

Iain  two guns  two guns lol

Lol no Mark they are typically floating downstream towards yarmouth so I help and collect them... although I do wish people would use black or white ones.. it's always blue ones and they wont match now...

Lucky I didn't post that comment on the last blond joke about how such jokes should be re-titled .. Essex jokes... whoops  :hardhat:cheers

• Like 1

While sailing in the race this weekend a hen party waved at us, I smiled and waved back. They were actually surprised that they had managed to get one of us to wave back!

While I do personally find the waving thing along with saying hello to complete strangers in the street very odd (lived in London for years) I accept that it's part of the 'broads thing' and that it is basic courtesy to return it in kind.

• Like 3

Being friendly does not come natural to us country folk.

I remember talking to a friend in Beccles and they were bemoaning that somebody they had known for years snubbed them in the street .... walked past .... not even a glance (Miserable git no 1).

I asked if he had acknowledged Miserable git no 1 and he replied .... certainly not ..... i'm not talking to somebody who ignores me (miserable git no 2)

• Like 1

I do remember when being completely confused when i first hired though and someone waved.. we thought something was up with the boat so stopped had a looked around the boat... after the first few times we worked it out (Joys of being from London!)... 

That was us a couple of years ago, quickly followed with joy when i realised that (nearly) everyone did it on the broads! Not being from London originally but from Derbyshire, i quickly reverted to type and pootled about for the rest of the week smiling broadly and waving like a maniac!

Now that's just called Recycling!

x

Warp, re that hen party, perhaps they remembered seeing you flying around Horning in that flash motor of yours! Unless you were in Mum's rather more sedate car, blasting out Classic FM.

There's no way they tracked me! I turned up at around 00:30 the night before to a sleeping Horning, unloaded the car, parked it elsewhere (where the birds made copious deposits on it) walked back and got on the boat. The only people who noticed me were the pub staff locking up. I'd have noticed a lurking hen party.