Miserable gits

alexandlorna

The ones that I feel some sympathy for are the Rangers. Everyone waves to them, 'tis a Broads tradition, and everyone expects them to wave back, and they do. 

As for non wavers, racing yachts, understandably, and many large gin palaces, not so understandable.

When my Daughter first came out with us on the Broads ,she suddenly said ," Dad you know a lot off people on the river " just nodded and didn't let on for a while that I didn't have a clue who they were ! I think it's pleasant to escape the general attitude of a minority of people around , elsewhere these days ,and be waved to .

• Like 7

Roy (Boaters) you just reminded me of the first time I took my son on the Broads a few years ago..... I had the same thing! "Dad it's years since you were on the Broads but all these people still know you!" A few days into our trip his theory gained more weight..... when we met you on the dock at Broadlands Holiday Village and got talking!

The three of us are confirmed wavers!

When receiving a tongue lashing from an irate skipper (usually sitting under bed sheets) I like to respond with an enthusiastic wave ...... needless to say my arm positively aches on occassions.

.....  Glad i'm not the queen!!

• Like 1

Can't think what you mean about a finger gesture, I would never dream of doing such a thing :liar remind me not to wave at Fishtone when I see him lol :naughty:

Mark (Baitrunner) it all depends on who you are waving at, if it's a busty blonde then I don't think any wife would be best pleased :norty:

Grace

Talk about stereo typing?.

Not all men like "busty blondes", some of us prefer women with short dark hair, and wearing glasses. They don`t have to be a stick insect either, a shapely size 16 can be a lot more attractive than some skinny big boobed long blonde haired bimbo.

Give me a real world girl any day................... Oh, i`ve already got one, and her names Karen.

• Like 1

Just a bit of banter Neil, I think beautiful women come in all shapes, sizes, hair colour and age, even blonde bimbos. If I caught the love of my life waving at an attractive women, whether she's a buxom blonde stick insect or a bouncy brunette, I wouldn't hesitate in giving him a swift slap round the head in the hope that I can teach him that the only women he has eyes for or indeed waves at is me lol  :naughty:

Grace

• Like 1

We generally wave, unless the person in the other boat is a starchy old bloke with an iron expression on his face, usually wearing blue royal navy style jumpers, often behind the wheel of a Freeman 22 or an immaculate woody.  Talk about  stereotyping!

cheers

Steve

• Like 2

We passed lots of miserable gits, whilst on holiday. You wave and get a stern looking response, as if to say, I DON'T THINK WE KNOW YOU! Probably local boat owners, who only wave at people they know and definitely don't wave at holiday boat hirers.

Most of the hirers on holiday seem to wave, as like has been said, everyone is in the holiday mood.

One mode of transport that always seems to attract waver's, are Miniature or Stem Railways. Both passengers and bystanders, will frantically wave at each other, as though it is the normal thing to do.

You never ever see people on buses waving as they pass you, or anyone wave at a passing bus.

When I was a child, I remember the old AA & RAC Motorcycle Patrols, who always saluted at passing motorists, if they were displaying a badge on their radiator grill. Those days are long gone, but can you imagine waving at an AA or RAC Van these days.

Waving is usually reserved for people saying goodbye to each other, like at railway stations, or leaving the dockside as you go on a cruise. Most of us do it, because it is in your instinct to do so as a matter of courtesy.

We are a unique species really, only humans wave at each other as far as we know.

So all you miserable gits out there, next time you are on the Broads, for gawds sake wave at other boaters as you pass. They will always wave back at you, unless they too, are miserable gits! 

Just like this      :Stinky  :wave  :wave  :wave      :Sailing    :norty:  :norty:  :norty:  If they are tacking

:clap  

• Like 5

Hi Geoff,

I remember the AA & RAC patrol men on their combo's the livery was on the front & side of their sidecar which was basically a box for their service tools.

There was a lot of breakdowns in those days overheating engines and hours to get to destinations, stopping for radiator to cool down meant out came the meth's stove and the miniature kettle for a brew.

There is still a lot of people on the Broads that wave, I quite like it when someone in a canoe or kayak will dip their paddles at you when you have left them plenty of room and slowed down. :wave :wave :wave

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Its not fair to say all the boat owning locals are rude Geoff, im a boat owning but not indigenous to Suffolk Local and I will wave at anyone! Even sailing boats

We was out yesterday, Brundall to just outside Norwich and i have to say most boats were waving...............

• Like 1

This reminds of a time when our friends visited us from Iains land.at that time I used to smoke,weekend he would walk to the local shops with me to get my cigs and a newspaper.He would say good morning to passer bys.Nearly everyone would ignore him.Ian why don't people say hello?Its sad to say in London have you say hello,good morning etc,they think you want something,rather then being friendly.

In much the same way many first time boaters often don't wave.

Ian :wave  :lineup:

• Like 1

Well Charlie I hope we waved at you yesterday. We were out yesterday afternoon and I reckon we got a 50% return rate on waves. Most of the non wavers on hire boats!!

I'm a local on a private boat. I'm not too snooty to wave at anyone and it's all part of the fun. Boats big or small. Wave to us all!!

Ps if you went past us in a hire boat at 20:45 going like stink last night - I wasn't waving!!!

• Like 3

Well Charlie I hope we waved at you yesterday. We were out yesterday afternoon and I reckon we got a 50% return rate on waves. Most of the non wavers on hire boats!!

I'm a local on a private boat. I'm not too snooty to wave at anyone and it's all part of the fun. Boats big or small. Wave to us all!!

Ps if you went past us in a hire boat at 20:45 going like stink last night - I wasn't waving!!!

Hello Baitrunner no we was on our boat Water Witch II and yes we waved to almost every boat in the 4 hours we were out. We now have her running good again after all the agg we've had with the engine.

• Like 1

I have to say we've met some really nice, friendly, helpful boat owners over the years and also some pretty miserable holiday makers so dont think we can stereotype.

I think some people are just born with the miserable gene.

I'm sure the cure is to spend more time afloat

• Like 6

We are not miserable old gits really , its just that the novelty wears off after a while. Will make sure I wave to you Gracie next time you are on the river if you let us know the name of the boat you are on.     This is just for you :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave                                           

• Like 2

Awe thank you Fishtone, I really need to clear a couple of things up if I may....I never actually called anyone a miserable old git that would have been Alex (Alexandlorna) I think you will find he moans about quite a lot, you know the type of thing, engines running, probably if the truths known the sound of the river water :naughty: ....if people don't wave then that's up to them, even though I might be thinking they are miserable old gits lol, 

Grace

p.s Alex, give up boating and take up golf, but then I expect you'll be moaning about missing the damn holes lol  :kiss

• Like 3