Forum, I have an announcement

LondonRascal

Well it was interesting, once the keys had been handed over and photos taken some old Norfolk man came to give a speech all that I remember was:

“Yow tairke 'hese keys and havin' crossed aarms and hands 'his day in Juloi 'are do promise 'o always mairk life haard for thur sailies bu' be kind 'o thur mo'orboats.”

It went on to cover a range of things I had to promise and then we did a strange dance around silver nugget before having my hands dunked in Bloo and water taken from all 7 rivers was placed on my forehead to ‘baptise’ me as a Broadlander.

I am told if you buy a tupperware boat you just get the keys handed over and given a sly smile from the Broker knowing how hard you will have to work to get their companies sticker off the topsides of your new boat.

• Like 7

I don't remember passing out while this was happening, maybe its because I told Robin I wanted royalties if he wished to film me. Whatever the reason it did not prevent me from having another truly memorable weekend on Broad Ambition with her two owners, just don't expect me to remember much about it.  :summertime:

We got caught up with the Hunter yachts the last one was struggling a bit, the motor cruiser behind him was not helping him by being so close.

Don't worry about diesel costs, Robin. Knowing those canny Northerners the engine will have been set up to use no more than a gallon per twenty four hours, indeed she'll probably even run on sheep dung and pigeon droppings

Don't worry Peter moored up outside a pub all day doesn't use any fuel at all

• Like 1

Don't worry about diesel costs, Robin. Knowing those canny Northerners the engine will have been set up to use no more than a gallon per twenty four hours, indeed she'll probably even run on sheep dung and pigeon droppings

Don't worry Peter moored up outside a pub all day doesn't use any fuel at all

I thought ALL Yorkie transport ran on Samuel or John Smiths! :naughty:

cheers Iain

Well it was interesting, once the keys had been handed over and photos taken some old Norfolk man came to give a speech all that I remember was:

“Yow tairke 'hese keys and havin' crossed aarms and hands 'his day in Juloi 'are do promise 'o always mairk life haard for thur sailies bu' be kind 'o thur mo'orboats.”

It went on to cover a range of things I had to promise and then we did a strange dance around silver nugget before having my hands dunked in Bloo and water taken from all 7 rivers was placed on my forehead to ‘baptise’ me as a Broadlander.

I am told if you buy a tupperware boat you just get the keys handed over and given a sly smile from the Broker knowing how hard you will have to work to get their companies sticker off the topsides of your new boat.

No - that was the official-official NFN ceremony that you were not supposed to mention (it should have been one of your promises). Maybe the ceremony after that impaired your memory of your vows...

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to watch your video all through this week Robin. I really enjoyed it as per the others I've watched recently. What a gorgeous boat! The best point for me is those drop down sides to the centre saloon. It's remarkable how that design never caught on in the same way sliding roofs did.

Its very evident from your video how beautifully well restored the boat is. I love the wood finish and the decor and in general the combination of traditional and modern works brilliantly. The only thing that surprises me is it's a 7-9 berth boat with a single toilet and shower. Personally I'd have sacrificed the rear quarter berth for an additional wash room but perhaps that's just me.

Original layout is very important in restoration otherwise both value and desirability is greatly reduced. How many homes had two bathooms or ensuite in the sixties? Not a lot! And in many parts of the county what they did have was down the yard. A lot hs changed in fifty years.

I'm not a restoration expert Chris but I can't agree with you. The BA is far from original, particularly the completely redesigned rear deck and galley arrangement, so why would you worry about keeping the rest of the layout original? Its only a personal view and I know its not my boat!

I stand corrected Simon, if a boat is not restored to its original design above and below then it does not matter. I was under the false impression that it was.