Supermarkets drop petrol price below £1.00

ranworthbreeze

3 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Yes, Asda did drop below £1 but, as soon as they were aware another fall in the price of crude was announced they quickly put it back up again so that they would be ready to cut it again!

Some of these supermarkets are as bent as the banks!

Nobody is as bent as the banks, well maybe insurance insurance underwriters:naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

But 70p of that 99.9p is collected by the treasury

So 29.9p  to buy it, transport it, refine it, transport it again and sell it for a profit. And the garage to make a profit

It's about time the Government stopped looking at this as the cash cow it's become

and start dropping the tax pro rata

• Like 4

The problem with reducing tax on petrol is it then has to be collected from elsewhere, not a day goes bye without someone complaining about cutbacks on services.

people don't like tax rises on wages, VAT, petrol duty, road tax, yet complain about spending on Health, housing, welfare, education, you get nothing for nothing in life and people need to make the choice.

in the mean time I'm off to Asda. :naughty:

• Like 2

The problem with taxation is simple; if you know how and are a big employer, you can avoid paying billions of pounds and your friends at the Treasury will ignore it. If you're a popular musician or comedian and it is discovered that you are, perfectly legally, hiving money away tax free, you might be subject to some public ridicule (perhaps even by the head honcho), but if you're a behemoth organisation, who's tax might be able to pay for a new hospital or reduce our debt and therefore reduce the impacts of austerity, you can get away with anything as the government can simply hit the people who already have little or nothing and blame those at the bottom who are destined to always chase the money. 

So, yes, reduce fuel tax and screw it out of Amazon, et al. 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

The problem with taxation is simple; if you know how and are a big employer, you can avoid paying billions of pounds and your friends at the Treasury will ignore it. If you're a popular musician or comedian and it is discovered that you are, perfectly legally, hiving money away tax free, you might be subject to some public ridicule (perhaps even by the head honcho), but if you're a behemoth organisation, who's tax might be able to pay for a new hospital or reduce our debt and therefore reduce the impacts of austerity, you can get away with anything as the government can simply hit the people who already have little or nothing and blame those at the bottom who are destined to always chase the money. 

So, yes, reduce fuel tax and screw it out of Amazon, et al. 

Hi Andy,

All so very true. 

It's all the the Joe Averages who gets tax taken at source that pay all the bills and the self employed who are working for peanuts.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

On the flip side of fuel tax, many, not all - in my case nil,being disabled - pay less or very little Road Tax now. So us poor motorists I suppose are a tad better off.

I remember the queues the week that petrol went up to 50p -10'- a gallon! 

Like it or not, I am a not:naughty: we the motorist, will always be a soft target for the Government in power. Remember part of that 99.9p tax is VAT @20% When VAT was first introduced it was but a mere 8%!!

xmas6Iain.

1 hour ago, BroadScot said:

On the flip side of fuel tax, many, not all - in my case nil,being disabled - pay less or very little Road Tax now. So us poor motorists I suppose are a tad better off.

I remember the queues the week that petrol went up to 50p -10'- a gallon! 

Like it or not, I am a not:naughty: we the motorist, will always be a soft target for the Government in power. Remember part of that 99.9p tax is VAT @20% When VAT was first introduced it was but a mere 8%!!

xmas6Iain.

Hi Iain,

1971 we could afford to fill the double 20 gallon tanks on a land rover 29P per gallon. 

Regards

Alan

Whats been happening to communities in Cumbria is awful and they do deserve the financial assistance the government has pledged but I for one would be interested to know where this supposed cash strapped government has managed to lay its hands on 50million quid just like that.  

One thing I will say about the USA is there are a lot more toll roads which may be a reason they are able to keep the fuel prices for the consumer low....... 

The Black Economy operates at all levels,  particularly amongst the self employed.  Anyone never paid a builder,  window cleaner  etc cash ?

The number of customers ( public ) who want to do a deal for "cash" is amazing. I can't as we have a very detailed paper trail.  I have never been asked by large businesses. 

The people who do this are  tax dodgers to no lesser extent than the large corporations,  Amazonbucks just do it via loopholes.  

Now I am not going to throw the first stone  :D but we are all involved with avoiding our dues and  blame only the big corporations.  Amazonbucks is an easier target than millions of "hard working families" 

Yep, good old Gas. I've just gone past 60000 miles on this one, saving 11p on each and every mile (even more when I can fill up at 40p/litre)

Even after the cost of buying the kit that's over £6000 saved in three years. I can't understand why anyone uses anything else

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yep, good old Gas. I've just gone past 60000 miles on this one, saving 11p on each and every mile (even more when I can fill up at 40p/litre)

Even after the cost of buying the kit that's over £6000 saved in three years. I can't understand why anyone uses anything else

Because if everybody did it - they'd tax it the same as petrol !  :taunt:

The scheme they operated in South Africa appealed to us when we were there, third party insurance is included in what you pay for fuel. If you want fully comprehensive then you organise that through  a broker in the usual way. It means there are no uninsured drivers on the road as as soon as you buy fuel you are automatically insured. Also the price is fixed by the government and every petrol station charges exactly the same, you are not allowed to use credit cards to pay for fuel, you have to pay in cash and there is no self service. Sadly you are obliged to remain in your car while someone puts the fuel in your car for you and someone else washes all your windows and then collects payment from you.

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I can't understand why anyone uses anything else, 

I have changed to diesel  :(

I too now drive a Diesel car, and it means I can drive to Norfolk without having to stop and pay over the odds at Motorway services for their fuel.

xmas6Iain

• Like 2

I've used LPG for the last twenty years or so, except for the last vehicle I owned, which ran (or, being a Renault more commonly broke down) on diesel. I did once consider the self transesterification route but as a former neighbour managed to blow his barn up brewing his own biodiesel (a roof tile was found sixty yards away sticking out of the ground in the opposite neighbours orchard) it rather put me off. It was a rather dramatic, not to mention expensive way of demonstrating the extreme volatility of methanol. Especially as the insurance company nullified his claim as soon as they heard what he was doing.

Unfortunately Diesel doesn't seem to have gone down, so in the summer I'll still be running vegetable oil.

I'm sure RiyadhCrew will be along to tells how much it is in Saudi, 16 years ago, I know it was cheaper than water by the litre!!