Window Sucky Cleaners

I have heard a few people use things like the karcher window vacuum to help demist their boat Windows. Link attached  

Has anyone used one of these or a cheaper derivative? 

I currently use a window squeegee type absorbent head on a pole, but it doesn't really absorb enough water when we have a lot of moisture on the Windows.

bear in mind my helm position is in the cockpit with a canvas canopy so it's just normal humidity that causes it. 

http://www.johnlewis.com/karcher-wv2-window-vacuum-cleaner/p1791214?sku=234160772&kpid=234160772&s_kenid=75a0df4c-0628-41c0-89d2-edda9014c965&s_kwcid=402x360904&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

We have a Kacher at home and it's really good, never used it on a boat ( another thing to pack ) but I'd think it would do a great job. It comes with 2 different width squeegee heads and I'd think the smaller one would be perfect for boat Windows.

seen the cheaper (Aldi) ones and they look good but never tried them

hope this helps

• Like 1

I bought one for the boat, Jill liked it so much for drying the windows in the morning and I use it for the outside when setting off early mornings to catch the tide.

In fact we use it so much on the boat ended up buying one for home, they are great for the car windows after washing it.

Aldi or Lidl had a special offer on them not long ago.

paul

• Like 1

We have a Karcher for the boat, it is absolutely fantastic for condensation and after a shower too. Charges from the mains or via the inverter when travelling, only takes about 30 minutes to charge. I certainly wouldn't want to be without it now and have to go back to wringing out a cloth or chammy.

Definatly recommend the Karcher window vac very handy piece of kit.

they have got the balance of it just right when using it, and it's half the price it was a couple of years ago, so probably not worth getting the cheaper versions.

oh and the battery lasts for ages enough to do a week cruise I would think

regards John

Interesting things these when you look into them a little further - the Karcher WV2 is £49.00 - while a VonHaus brand that accepts the Karcher attachments can be had for £24.95 (plus £4.99 P&P) with good reviews siad about this. However, you could get the unbranded model which is the same as the  VonHaus model for £19.95 delivered.

If I was looking to get one, I'd naturally get the £12.95 one which just takes some AA batteries so no charger required and actually is slightly more powerful than the 3.6v rechargeable variants :)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Interesting things these when you look into them a little further - the Karcher WV2 is £49.00 - while a VonHaus brand that accepts the Karcher attachments can be had for £24.95 (plus £4.99 P&P) with good reviews siad about this. However, you could get the unbranded model which is the same as the  VonHaus model for £19.95 delivered.

If I was looking to get one, I'd naturally get the £12.95 one which just takes some AA batteries so no charger required and actually is slightly more powerful than the 3.6v rechargeable variants :)

Robin, have you ever thought about applying for a job at 'WHICH' :naughty: Your a natural for working there:clap

cheersIain

• Like 1

We bought the Karcher one for our shower at home for £30 two years ago. Fantastic!!

Went back the following week to get one for the boat(Our local market on Friday) and it's

absolutely brilliant. The small head is perfect for all the windows on our boat and it is left 

there with it's charger, and a full charge lasts all week. 

I'm not sure if anyone noticed me posting on Facebook the last time we was onboard Orca. But we brought one for her. We have a  Karcher and it's amazing.. Really works.. Really worth the money and it's reduced the humidity down inside. Only thing is you have to hold upright otherwise you get a bit wet :facepalm:(so if you have things in the way you may need to use a towel) certainly highly recommended though. 

28 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

We have a  Karcher and it's amazing.. Really works.. Really worth the money and it's reduced the humidity down inside. Only thing is you have to hold upright otherwise you get a bit wet

And this is exactly what the main issue with these (to me) seems to be.  They are surly great for use at home or any large flat upright window - but most windows on boats are small or angled and don't lend themselves to being cleared of moisture if the unit cannot be tilted too much without it's water tank spilling.

Where, however this would be more handy in my mind is not so much interior windows but exterior decks and windows where it is much easier to keep the unit vertical and and would avoid the problems of displaced water running down the outside of the windows you've just cleaned because it would suck it up. That said the issue there is on a dewy morning the amount of water on the upper decks and cabin tops of a boat will soon fill the tank and you might well get in trouble with the 'noise police' with the sound of the electric motor running sucking up the water.

Sort of product I'd use if I had one, but would not spend my money on when a a good window squeegee and a cloth to catch the drips as you go does the job just fine.

8 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

And this is exactly what the main issue with these (to me) seems to be.  They are surly great for use at home or any large flat upright window

Robin, they certainly are designed to be held upright. Although I worked out that I can hold upright but at a 45deg angle (If you hold upright but at 90deg it doesn't work)... All it needs a one way value on the tank to stop the water pouring out.. Maybe other ones have overcome this.. It certainly wouldn't work on decks but I don't think you need it. It's really useful inside the windows though and does save lots of hassle (and towels etc).. I'll let you try it when I see you again.. You will be sold ;) 

I have used mine at all sorts of funny angles without too much problem, certainly not had water pouring out again. I think the Karcher is one of those items that, once you have tried it on boat windows that suffer badly from condensation, you really don't want to go back to using cloths etc. 

• Like 3

The Karcher is brilliant. We use it on the boat, caravan and at home. As well as being effective - its so quick. Also use it on the outside of the boat in the mornings to clear off the morning dew and on the outside of all windows. If you only have the large blade version, you can buy the small blade as an accessory online from Amazon or EBay.

Lots of friends have bought one after seeing ours in use. Can't speak highly enough of this item [and NO i'm not on commission!!!]

We have one too, they are excellent for mirrors, no smears, especially on mirrors that are side on to sunlight, where other methods show smears.

Now... re water leaking out, the fan on the Karcher is sucking water out of the reservoir, and it is blown everywhere.

I find that starting off with an empty tank, you can do horizontal passes first then followed by passes at 45 degrees, then vertical passes. Do not exceed more than half full on the tank, empty regularly, problem solved.

How many horizontal passes before blowing out water, depends on window size and how wet they are.

This is what I find anyway.

• Like 1

Good to hear they work so well. 

Our windows are quite curved so in am not confident I will get what I want from it. 

What caught my eye is the extension handle you can buy. As we can't actually get close to our windows that easily. 

Might have to borrow one to try.