Alpha Craft

jonger

This is the boy. I bought my copy from Brian Wards. Not sure if they still have any. 

Fascinating read but as others have said it really gives an insight into running a small yard. Dealing with the odd not so nice customer. Owners of the big yards don't have these kind of worries as they have staff to do all of that. But yes, Robins book is essential reading if you can find a copy. cheersbar

_20160421_094600.JPG

• Like 2

With all this news of hire yards closing, I'm surprised that nothing has been mentioned of a new concern that advertised in this years Broadcaster, Yare View Hire Boats? The ad says they are based at West Lane Brundall and it gives a web and email address, but the website just goes to a domain holding page. Was the advert a little previous or are they actually hiring boats? and if so, any details? On the same page is an advert for Yare View Holiday Cottages and these appear to be the five cottages just after Brundall Gardens Marina. Again the website address goes to a holding page.

1 hour ago, Happy said:

I have just ordered a copy of this from Seamark Nunn - looks good reading.  If a few others do the same I think they will suddenly wonder whats going on!1cheers

Thanks for  that , am popping over to Seamark  at lunch time to pick up a copy myself now 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mark said:

Thanks for  that , am popping over to Seamark  at lunch time to pick up a copy myself now 

Forgot to add it was the last copy in stock and yes they were wondering why the sudden interest.

Yare View, I believe, is to be run by Sam Dacre at Brundall Gardens. The extent of the fleet is unknown. Given the reputation of Brundall Gardens and the Dacres, this is likley to be a well-funded operation.

Thanks for the words of support. A medal would be nice, but a season of many great customers would be nicer!

• Like 7

I can vouch for Yare view cottages,  very high standard,  Sam did say he was introducing day boats for some of the cottages,  he might be adding extra ones to hire out.  

I have found that if they do something ,,  they do it well albeit in Norfolk time. :hardhat:

10 hours ago, Matt said:

Although if you look more carefully on Rightmove you will see there are actually two lots being offered. The one linked to above which includes the land buildings and boats, or another lot for £750,000 which doesn't include the boats. By my elementary maths that makes the boats worth £750,000, or an average of £47,000 each as there are 16 boats being offered. On the basis that Bridgecraft purchased a Spitfire and a Hurricane class boat, there can only be another 3 or 4 of that class left which arguably are worth more than £47,000. The remainder would be worth substantially less than £47,000 each. I honestly don't know the worth of the land and buildings, but would have thought the price being asked for the boats is more than a little optimistic, especially given their condition. Probably explains why one of the bigger operators hasn't already snapped them up. 

23 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

This is the boy. I bought my copy from Brian Wards. Not sure if they still have any. 

Fascinating read but as others have said it really gives an insight into running a small yard. Dealing with the odd not so nice customer. Owners of the big yards don't have these kind of worries as they have staff to do all of that. But yes, Robins book is essential reading if you can find a copy. cheersbar

_20160421_094600.JPG

A nice reminder, a Cantley One Design, indeed the one owned by Robin himself.

Fairly certain that Jeckells have a few copies at Oulton Broad.

I hired once from alpha about 4 years ago. The chap reminded me of Russell Brand!!  A decent boat, good friendly service, maybe slightly manic but it was a pleasure.  The demise of all the smaller yards seems such a shame, but that's the way of the world I suppose.

1 hour ago, TrevorAndDeirdre said:

Just had a phone call from  Seamark Nunn  after my order yesterday to say now the book is out of stock and they cannot get any more. Will have to try somewhere else now.

Try Brian Wards, they had some yesterday 

:angel: Glad I got my copy when I did -arrived next day.  I thought it would be a good read when we go to Devon for a week in our motorhome.  Unfortunately had a quick look and now halfway through it!  Find it difficult to put down, you really feel you are there with him.  Maybe glad I didn't win the lottery and buy a yard now but with enough money suppose you could employ the right people and just play!  cheers

Alan