Tilley Hats

ChrisB

Go Outdoors, the camping shop are doing the above from £46 to £48. That is a saving of £20.

I swear by Tilleys so I now have an additional wide brim airflow and an outback. 

It is years since they were so cheap.

• Like 2

I tried wearing a Tilley but the gas mantle got a bit hot and I permanently smelled of meths and paraffin. I now wear my fur lined tweed Barbour with the sensible ear flaps or of course my new forum cap when it arrives!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Just don't get this Tilly hat thing, for a kick off you can't knock all hell out of them! Far too smart for my taste! 

The Tilly hat is a statement thing, a bit like an ensign on the back of the boat. It demonstrates that you are a person of substance , distinguished, not of the hoy palloi.

It is expected that you will show a knowledge of all things nautical and exceptional boat handling skills.

For my part, in particular, if I should make one of my many cockups at mooring, the hat has the advantage of being able to be pulled over the eyes to avoid being recognised in the future.

Andrew

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wussername said:

The Tilly hat is a statement thing, a bit like an ensign on the back of the boat. It demonstrates that you are a person of substance , distinguished, not of the hoy palloi.

It is expected that you will show a knowledge of all things nautical and exceptional boat handling skills.

For my part, in particular, if I should make one of my many cockups at mooring, the hat has the advantage of being able to be pulled over the eyes to avoid being recognised in the future.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

So that what they are called, this must mean that I am not be member of the hoi palloi:naughty:

To be honest I bought a wide brimmed hat a few years ago when I got head burnt in April aboard Ranworth Breeze, this was the first time ever I have got burnt especially on my head. The hat was the only one I could find in Wroxham, of course from Roy's.

I am not suited to hats, so it just's tends sit in the car till needed.

Maybe I need to get a canoe:naughty:

Regards

Alan  

• Like 1

Talk about a hat making a statement!   When I was living in the US, I bought a camouflaged cap, with a small Winchester rifle  logo on the front of it. The number of people who came up and asked me what I had killed recently made me stop wearing it.

cheers

Steve

9 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Tilley is a make Alan, and unless you coughed up about £50 what you got aint no tilley! :)

Trust a Scot to find them cheaper ! :naughty: http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=20767&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle&gclid=CjwKEAjwq6m3BRCP7IfMq6Oo9gESJACRc0bNNezEgW-QXKtV185Q1iliNobxxiJ0ElsQ4_z6LmXxfRoC51rw_wcB

cheersIain

I had a hat made to measure in Australia some 15 years ago, usual Aussie style made from some sort of hide (Marsupial I think) all for about $30 AUS. We do seem to pay a premium over here for many goods in comparison to other parts of the globe.

1 hour ago, Polly said:

Tilley hats are for boating by birth, but it's the only hat I have come across that claims to have passed through an elephant three times unscathed. :) Respect! 

Does this mean that road signs will be in both African & Indian in order to attract Tilley Hat eating elephants to the Broads?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Are Tilley's really a boat hat? No gold braid, no skull & crossed bones, surely really a 'land-lubber', even a tree-hugger hat, or have I got it all wrong?

They are designed to float, so must be a bit nautical

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Polly said:

No need for really foreign signs, I seem to recall t was an elephant residing in America...course they do talk funny there. :)

That's coz they are a bit Trumped up just now Polly:naughty: Ok i'll get my :coat:

cheersIain