Irstead Staithe

BrundallNavy

7 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Why the boats not in gear so no chance of going round the prop , boats should be secured before cutting the engine and single handed that take s little while , its just the same when leaving or do people actually push the boat off and then start the engine ? 

I believe the comment was to leave the engine running in order to manoeuvre the boat in the case of a dropped rope.If the engine is out of gear it may as well be switched off as disengaged  it will serve no manoeuvring purpose. When we come in to moor one of us gets off with the ropes  once that's achieved whoever is at the helm cuts the engine out of consideration to neighbouring moored boats. We have always done it this way. Funny you should mention pushing off as I was just reading the essence of this thread to my husband and his comment was "what about those pests who deem it incumbent to run the engine for goodness knows how long before pushing off""

Carole

The trick to avoid endless 'running when moored' is to;

Plan ahead

Shower when on the move (not recommended for single helming), get wet under the shower turn off water, wash, rinse.  You'll eek out a lot of hot water use this way.

Charge peripherals while underway

Don't use the telly - you are on holiday for a rest, not 'more of the same please'!

Cruise lots - always with the tide wherever possible..

Simples

• Like 5

Just now, addicted said:

I believe the comment was to leave the engine running in order to manoeuvre the boat in the case of a dropped rope.If the engine is out of gear it may as well be switched off as disengaged  it will serve no manoeuvring purpose. When we come in to moor one of us gets off with the ropes  once that's achieved whoever is at the helm cuts the engine out of consideration to neighbouring moored boats. We have always done it this way. Funny you should mention pushing off as I was just reading the essence of this thread to my husband and his comment was "what about those pests who deem it incumbent to run the engine for goodness knows how long before pushing off""

Carole

And if you can't restart the engine.....?  While on board the skipper can quickly retrieve the errant dropped rope then be back at the helm to spare his mooring assistants blushes with some clever manoeuvring... :) not having to faff restarting etc.

Its a matter of minutes - no great burden for a sympathetic neighbour to bear......

• Like 4

Just now, Bound2Please said:

I will add here that it could be F*$%ing dangerous on a fast running river to try and pull away with an engine that is stone cold. A cold diesel engine can be stalled quite easily.

Charlie

Indeed - if we plan to leave (GYYS for example) early to catch the tides and have boats immediately next to us, we let them know that evening what we aare planning and to apologise if this wakes them up.  At least they know then....

• Like 1

You don't reckon that lady at Irstead goes by the name of Carole, do you? :naughty: Carole, my lovely, just kidding :kiss:arms::bow (kissing bottom here)

Seriously though, all it takes is a bit of consideration for other people, it really is rude and disrespectful to run an engine at a mooring for hours on end, I'm with SGWilko, plenty of cruising results in lots of of water and sod the telly, who needs that when you can watch a Broads sunset

Grace

• Like 5

A few years ago when we moored at the WRC we were stood by Eddie when one of leboats tubs came heading over to the spot on the corner in the entrance to the basin.  The guy cut the engine about 12ft short of the quay then finished up floating sideways across the entrance while they faffed about trying to restart.  When they had got themselves heading back toward the quay i helped them tie up and suggested its probably best not to cut the engine till your actually alongside and making fast!  It was their first time.

Speaking of running engines, I have a neighbour (well 2 actually but one is far more considerate than the other) with Subaru Impreza's with ridiculously loud exhausts.  The inconsiderate one comes out and leaves it running ten minutes here and there for no apparent reason, and his record had got to be around 5 minutes of pointless running after hes arrived home  Hes an absolute numpty. 

• Like 2

Just now, dnks34 said:

A few years ago when we moored at the WRC we were stood by Eddie when one of leboats tubs came heading over to the spot on the corner in the entrance to the basin.  The guy cut the engine about 12ft short of the quay then finnished up floating sideways across the entrance while they faffed about trying to restart.  When they had got themselves heading back toward the quay i helped them tie up and suggested its probably best not to cut the engine till your actually alongside and making fast!  It was their first time.

Speaking of running engines, I have a neighbour (well 2 actually but one is far more considerate than the other) with Subaru Impreza's with ridiculously loud exhausts.  The inconsiderate one comes out and leaves it running ten minutes here and there for no apparent reason, and his record had got to be around 5 minutes of pointless running after hes arrived home  Hes an absolute numpty. 

Are the ridiculously loud exhausts compensating for something..... ??? :D

• Like 3

Just now, dnks34 said:

A few years ago when we moored at the WRC we were stood by Eddie when one of leboats tubs came heading over to the spot on the corner in the entrance to the basin.  The guy cut the engine about 12ft short of the quay then finished up floating sideways across the entrance while they faffed about trying to restart.  When they had got themselves heading back toward the quay i helped them tie up and suggested its probably best not to cut the engine till your actually alongside and making fast!  It was their first time.

Turbo's do need some cooling down time before they are stopped I hear.

• Like 1

I never turn off the engine until we are secure bow & stern. Once secured I kill the engine and adjust the ropes.

unlike the boat that we moored beside at Salhouse on our recent trip who was running his engine when we arrived at around 1 o clock and was still running it at 10pm at which point I politely asked him to stop.

I won't repeat what he said on here but he did finally turn it off

why don't these people use the boat to go cruising and charge the batteries that way, Or just rent a cottage

I've never had to run the engine at a mooring in 30 odd years of coming to the Broads.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

Thats  absolutely true they most certainly do .

14 minutes ago, grendel said:

Not if you adhere to the speed limits in this country... ;)

Perhaps the drivers haven't mastered 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th gears yet in that case :D

The risk to a turbo is cutting the engine while the turbo is spinning at full chat thus robbing the bearings of oil.....

• Like 3

Notes taken on my RYA Helmsman Course read

" Remain in control of your boat at all times. Never, ever, ever turn off the engine of your boat until it is fully secure. If your engine is not running you are not in control of your boat. Warps and lines are gathered and stowed neatly, check your berth or mooring is safe and secure and have accounted for all crew members. Then turn off your engine."

"After performing engine checks... see ** Start engine allowing plenty of time to come to heat before moving away. If your engine is not running and running correctly you are not in control. Remain in control of your boat at all times!"

Now I did the course in Hull so I asked the question about running the engine as some folks moan on the Broads. The reply from the old chap was slow and measured and was straightforward.

"Never, ever, ever turn off the engine of your boat until it is fully secure. Remain in control of your boat at all times. If your engine is not running you are not in control of your boat. Warps and lines are gathered and stowed neatly, check your berth or mooring is safe and secure and have accounted for all crew members. Then turn off your engine. Ignore the complaints until your boat is secure then deal politely with the person complaining." relentlessly he droned his previous instruction then added 'if people don't like the sound of boats then they shouldn't go boating should they?'.

Four years ago (at the age of 46) I received an almighty smack in the ear from my Dad for turning off RT's engine before I had 'walked the boat and berth over' as he put it. Uncle Albert's lessons were quickly taught and long remembered!

Talking of the old boy...as I've said before, there are many reasons why an engine may be running on a mooring. When Uncle Albert was aboard it was for hot water in a morning...and no, you do not leave a disabled person unattended or uncared for while you cruise up and down to get hot water. You start the engine, you start your routine, you help them to wash and dress and make them comfortable, clean and safe with their dignity intact...and then you go cruising. It's not something I have to worry about anymore...but please look out for a blue badge, they are used on boats too, before you start 'meldrewing'? :naughty:

• Like 15

What would help enormously would for boats to be fitted with water mufflers , some hire craft are ridiculously loud mostly because the exhaust is so short and no muffer .

The other thing that helps a lot is a advanced regulator on the alternator that way the domestic bank and indeed the starter battery gets a full and proper charge  so they last longer , i have 6 x110volt domestic battery's and they charge from overnight use in 1 - 1.5 hours and I watch a lot of TV and its 240 volts so there's the inverter too using power .

All of this is obviously down to the hire yards to incorporate but even new hire boats are not built this way and I've no idea why its not expensive and in the case of the regulator it actually lengthens the life of the battery and is actually more effective than adding a other to the domestic bank which in some case's is near impossible , the only down side is you need to check your battery's more often as fast charging uses electrolyte but its not a weekly job in anyway at all. .

If it has been necessary to use a bow thruster whilst mooring, the engine does need to be run for a SHORT while to recharge the associated battery.  I suppose now the usual banter about the necessity, or otherwise, of bow/stern thrusters will start! :hardhat:

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, vanessan said:

If it has been necessary to use a bow thruster whilst mooring, the engine does need to be run for a SHORT while to recharge the associated battery.  I suppose now the usual banter about the necessity, or otherwise, of bow/stern thrusters will start! :hardhat:

Unless they thruster is hydraulically operated... :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

56 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Thats  absolutely true they most certainly do .

I have 2 Turbo diesels and in 7 and 3 years ownership they have been just fine being switched off as soon as i have parked!!

The Subarus are obviously petrol engined but if his Turbo needs to be cooled down for that long then Id be looking in to how hes driving it on what round here are local roads.  Knowing where the guy works I can confidently say in the 2 miles between here and there there arent any motorways, dual carriageways or racing tracks! 

Hes just an inconsiderate cretin!!

• Like 1

Just now, addicted said:

I didn't  to mention that I get off with both ropes in  hand plus a bow/stern thruster remote control! that should get some of 'em going!

Remote control, why would you need to turn the telly over at a time like that?! 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

I have 2 Turbo diesels and in 7 and 3 years ownership they have been just fine being switched off as soon as i have parked!!

The Subarus are obviously petrol engined but if his Turbo needs to be cooled down for that long then Id be looking in to how hes driving it on what round here are local roads.  Knowing where the guy works I can confidently say in the 2 miles between here and there there arent any motorways, dual carriageways or racing tracks! 

Hes just an inconsiderate cretin!!

I totally agree he is my comments were regarding diesel engines in boats where cooling is much more limited :) .

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

some hire craft are ridiculously loud mostly because the exhaust is so short and no muffer .

What do you mean hire craft, I can out noise a hire craft any day.....:naughty:

My exhausts are quite long but there's nowt between the turbo elbows and the outside world other than the water sloshing through them, I feel a trip to irstead coming on.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, addicted said:

I didn't like  to mention that I get off with both ropes in  hand plus a bow/stern thruster remote control! that should get some of 'em going!

I believe you are not the only one who does that, there is a certain someone on here that has to do the same thing!

I do wonder if, as a society, we are getting less forgiving. I keep giving myself a real talking to these days when I find myself grumbling about the things some people do. If it is something that is not directly affecting me, or will not affect me for very long, then why should I worry? Life is too short and the time I have left needs to be enjoyed! Like this :Stinkyand this cheers.

• Like 4

Just now, Dilligaf said:

What do you mean hire craft, I can out noise a hire craft any day.....:naughty:

My exhausts are quite long but there's nowt between the turbo elbows and the outside world other than the water sloshing through them, I feel a trip to irstead coming on.

Too late, the lady in question has gone! The warden chappie is still there though..................

• Like 1