Irstead Staithe

BrundallNavy

On 19/05/2017 at 9:30 PM, YnysMon said:

never let not knowing Welsh put you off living in Wales!

Absolutely, let the constant rain and the miserable peeps that switch from english to welsh as soon as they spot your accent put you off, it's much more effective.:hardhat:

Can you tell I lived in wales for a while?

I once went into a chip shop in north wales with an italian mate, as we walked in we could hear the language used change instantly so he ordered his grub in italian followed up with 'now who's ignorant' in english and walked out. Considering they only really have tourism as an income why do they do that?

Edited by Hockham Admiral
Possibly offensive words changed/removed
  • Like 3

Probably because there's a collective memory among Welsh speakers that they weren't allowed to use Welsh for any official business until the 70s, so there's still a bit of a grudge against 'the English' collectively but mostly its not personal.  I can remember by Gran ('Nain' - who incidentally married an Englishman) telling me that she was punished for speaking Welsh when she started school even though she spoke no English. My Mum only spoke Welsh until she started school too and it was drummed into her in that she should speak English.  Not excusing bad manners, just trying to cast some light on why people would behave like that.

By the way, about the only time my Mum and I spoke Welsh when I was younger was when we were 'abroad' (and that includes England), not that we were doing it because we were criticising anyone, it was just instinctive.

Helen

We`re going to South Wales for a week in September. I have family and friends in South Wales, also stayed in a caravan for a week at Lydstep haven in the laste 60s, so would like to go back and see how much it has changed. Also, to catch up with some good friens i used to work with a couple of years back.

44 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I know...maybe we're hoping all the mods are away at the meet.  You know what they say...when the cat's away...

Lovely to meet you the other week Sue. (Hope I've got the right Sue?)

Helen

Yep that was me.

S

55 minutes ago, SueH said:

Me being a bit dense, but what has all this got to do with Irstead Staithe?  

We do tend to go off into some  most odd tangents!!!

That makes two of us who must be dense I was wondering the same thing

Carole

2 hours ago, trambo said:

Well I love the sound of the Welsh language and accent but every time I go into North Wales all I hear is Scouse!

Fred

Fred, you should come to Norfolk then, most likely all you'll hear is Estuary Essex or Northern Nancy, both pretty unintelligible to the natives!

• Like 5

I knew a girl for a long time as full on essex only to find out I also knew her brother, he was full on glaswegian, none of the family ever lived near essex in fact there was only a couple of years between the two moving this way yet the accents are soooo far apart.

Neither was from Irstead (just to get back on topic).

24 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Hasn't his thread meandered away from Irstead ages ago?

Yes!

Re Northern Nancy, as opposed to Southern Softy, lives in Yorkshire and tells appallingly bad jokes, if folk from outside the county understand them correctly. Also tends to be thoroughly spoilt by the womenfolk. 

• Like 2

So, Norfolk is the new Midlands? I must admit when I lived in Anglesey I thought anywhere south of Manchester was 'the south' (couldn't understand any of that 'Watford Gap' nonsense). Now I live in MK anywhere north of us is 'oop north'. Crazy what? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dilligaf said:

I knew a girl for a long time as full on essex only to find out I also knew her brother, he was full on glaswegian, none of the family ever lived near essex in fact there was only a couple of years between the two moving this way yet the accents are soooo far apart.

Neither was from Irstead (just to get back on topic).

two of my brother in laws are twins....

when my father in law and mother in law split up, one went with her to Scotland (she was Scottish ) the other stayed with his dad...

Twins one with a broad Scottish accent the other a proper Yorkshire one...

:Stinky

No, it's 'me doock'  that you're called. Graham spent 4 years in Loughborough (Looga-boruga according to one Canadian student that he met) so he should know...and I joined him for his 3rd year. Wonderful year for our relationship, not so good for my putative career as a teacher, but alls well that ends well. 

My two sister's speak with a west Lothian accent, I can understand them, their grand children, no chance.

My brother speaks with a west Lothian accent, Slowly turning Yorkshire, I don't know what that sounds like in his fluent Scots Gaelic.

Me, my accent is somewhere between, Inverness, Somerset and Norfolk...

• Like 1