Irstead Staithe

BrundallNavy

There is always the idiot Grendel unfortunately, some people obviously find common decency as difficult as Robin finds pronouncing the Beauchamp Arms :dance

3 hours ago, grendel said:

to be honest the Channel ferries never really switch the engines off, they just go down to tickover when they are berthed up (as you can always spot by the big black cloud about 30 seconds before they depart, when they bring the revs back up) there is always a trickle of smoke from the funnel even when in port.

Quite noticeable when you get on them too, even a half hour before leaving there is that deep boom from the bowels (the ship's, not mine before anybody asks!) 

I think no I wonder if what a lot of people put down to engines running is in fact the heating system running? When its quiet in the evening its surprising how that sound travels.

Back to the OP who checks officially on over stayers on any 24 hour mooring, as there are no ANPR cameras, no 24/7 person logging boats in and out. The rangers can only do a very rough guestimate unless the same boat is there for days. just a thought.

Charlie

• Like 1

Such a little mooring and read 7 pages lol, The boat we've got in Sept won't go under Ludham till the morning afterwards so this is looking like a mooring. hows it go it's all about the bass no treble! lol.

We always told the narrowboat crews don't turn the engine off before the ropes are tied and I still do it that way.

We tend to run the engine after others have in the morning for the microwave and hot water, then late on for a bit which on the northern side is around 5 hrs all day after movement. On hire boats you don't know what the battery bank is like unless Robins been on them then there ok now (sorry Robin).

Sorry but I like the sound of a older engine coughing and spitting it's water out randomly, not the modern nanni too much like a car running.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Poppy said:

Charlie, there is a distinct difference between a short warm up and a long running engine at moorings  - this is the real issue !

I agree entirely regarding running (in neutral) until fore and aft lines are ashore and secured temporarily. THEN switch off and attend to lines and springs.

That's the whole  point , it's the length of time that an engine is left running that is the issue, my husband's comment was on the back of the boat a few berths   along from us that left the engines running for more than an hour while waiting for one of their party to arrive .This boat is so old the engines smell dreadfully when running forcing us down into the saloon with all doors and windows firmly closed! Very unpleasant. By all means leave the the engine running on Rickover, out of gear while you tie up as you long as you don't make a meal of it!

Carole

Malanka's huge old BMC diesel sounds lovely on tickover. Pity is if we wanted to heat up the water on ticlover (just continuing the tradition) we would be there for hours.... Tickolver (this is fun) for us is about 700rpm and the engine is so big its quite melodic in a diesel smelly old engine kind of way. We love Irstead we just don't like the narrow nature of the river at that point.

M

• Like 3

Lucky the newer boat engines aren't setup to run with AdBlue - I hate the smell of heated pi55 in the morning!

I generally find a broads boat at rickvote is a pain due to the vibration - although it can drown out the 'Ball & Chain' which can be a plus point... :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

We thought Rickrolling was finished with, but Carole has resurrected Rick Astley once again with a new one a 'Rickover'. :)

**!#ing tablet wouldn't let me correct Believe me with the predelictions of this tablet it could have been so much worse!

Carole

• Like 2

Malanka's original power unit was a V6 petrol, she had bilge fans the works. Prefer the safety of the diesel I must confess having had a boat fire (long story) its diesel for me every time. What's wrong with Wick Astley anyway. My era he is and  I'm never going to give up, or run around, or leave ... oops sorry.... 

M

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Malanka said:

Malanka's original power unit was a V6 petrol, she had bilge fans the works. Prefer the safety of the diesel I must confess having had a boat fire (long story) its diesel for me every time. What's wrong with Wick Astley anyway. My era he is and  I'm never going to give up, or run around, or leave ... oops sorry.... 

M

Have to confess, looking at the 'artists' in todays 'charts' (or should that be digital download statistics) most of 'em these days are someone unknown featuring someone else unknown....  One popular song right now I think sounds like Michael Jackson...  On declaring this my kids (11 & 13) just glared at me!!! :)

On 17 May 2017 at 10:53 PM, kfurbank said:

So I was with you to a point. I single handed moor frequently and the ropes do go on before I turn the engine off, when solo cruising it is hard to be in two places at once, however I tend to go for the secure a line front and back and turn the engine off, then worry about securing the lines at the right length for the evening including springs if needed. However you lost me with your second from last paragraph which is defensive beyond belief. If someone came to have a moan about you running your engine to warm it before leaving the mooring, wouldn't attempt to educate them about why before giving them your two word answer? :shocked

I would agree with that Keith, but I did say if they "complain". If they were to ask is there any reason why you leave your engine running etc, then yes, I agree, education is a better first option. However, this day and age, people are less inclined to ask, but will more than likely adopt the tone of annoyance?. I know not everybody is like this, but the lack of common courtesy does seem to prevail.

• Like 1

Once you know the Welsh alphabet spelling and pronouncing words isn't too much of an issue as the spelling is pretty much phonetic. The letters don't necessarily sound the same as the English versions though and there are some 'letters' that consist of two letters such 'll', 'dd' and the notorious 'ch'. 

Having  started off in a Welsh primary school I had trouble with English spelling for ages (still do occasionally).  Unfortunately we mostly spoke English at home, so putting me in a Welsh class wasn't the best idea.  Theoretically being bilingual is supposed to be good for kids, but I'm not sure that was the case for me.  My Mum meant well...she thought it would improve my Welsh.  I think it just messed me up, though I'm glad that I can understand Welsh, even though I struggle nowadays to speak it (my vocabulary deserts me). There are some really beautiful Welsh poems and songs that I'm glad I can appreciate. 

Helen

• Like 1

My late wife and I loved Pembrokeshire to the point that we seriously considered moving there. My wife no longer liked the open sea but Milford Haven with it's creeks and rivers would have been just fine for us in a Drascombe Coaster or Bay Cruiser.

The major reason we never went was the language. We felt that we would have been missing so much not understanding Welsh. Rightly or wrongly we felt that it was a language best learned at your mothers knee. 

Languages did not worry us in any way, we both could speak French and some Spanish but Welsh seemed one too far, maybe we were getting too old.

50 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

My late wife and I loved Pembrokeshire to the point that we seriously considered moving there. My wife no longer liked the open sea but Milford Haven with it's creeks and rivers would have been just fine for us in a Drascombe Coaster or Bay Cruiser.

The major reason we never went was the language. We felt that we would have been missing so much not understanding Welsh. Rightly or wrongly we felt that it was a language best learned at your mothers knee. 

Languages did not worry us in any way, we both could speak French and some Spanish but Welsh seemed one too far, maybe we were getting too old.

What a shame...never let not knowing Welsh put you off living in Wales!  I don't know why I get so frustrated trying to speak Welsh, trying to remember my Welsh vocabulary...if you go down somewhere like Bangor High Street and pass some so called Welsh speakers every other word is English...seems to defeat the point to me, but then I guess that's a bit of a cheek on my part to think so having moved to Eng-er-land. 

:shocked

• Like 1