Irstead Staithe

BrundallNavy

As an aside, while moored at Loddon in April (Monday 10th I believe) aboard Mercury, we upped sticks and left the following morning at about 7 - as there is no real strong tide or risk of careering down towards Breydon with no control, the wife simply loosened the stern ropes (we were at the staithe) while I upped the mud weight, when she was ready we started up and gently pootled off at tick over.

Very little disturbance to the neighbours - although I do hope we woke foghorn leghorn, his wife and daughter in the private boat next to us to get 'em back for being unable to TALK QUIETLY AFTER DARK!!!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, SGWilko said:

the wife simply loosened the stern ropes (we were at the staithe) while I upped the mud weight, when she was ready we started up and gently pootled off at tick over.

Very little disturbance to the neighbours - although I do hope we woke foghorn leghorn, his wife and daughter in the private boat next to us to get 'em back for being unable to TALK QUIETLY AFTER DARK!!!

When I did my DTI ticket in the late 60's it was drummed into all on the course, that never cast off with a cold engine, even if there is no tidal run. Remember wind can be as bigger problem/danger as tide !... I passed by the way and for several years took angling parties out into the Thames Estuary and Southern North Sea. Never once casting off with a cold engine, and never killing the engine, before firmly moored on the return... Do you ever see a Chanel Ferry, cruise liner ot container ship cast off with a non running engine or kill the engine before mooring is completed. NO I REST MY CASE for safety reasons please people DO NOT SWITCH ENGINE OFF BEFORE SAFELY MOORED and NEVER CAST OFF WITH NO ENGINE RUNNING OR A STONE COLD ONE.

Charlie

• Like 9

Just now, Bound2Please said:

When I did my DTI ticket in the late 60's it was drummed into all on the course, that never cast off with a cold engine, even if there is no tidal run. Remember wind can be as bigger problem/danger as tide !... I passed by the way and for several years took angling parties out into the Thames Estuary and Southern North Sea. Never once casting off with a cold engine, and never killing the engine, before firmly moored on the return... Do you ever see a Chanel Ferry, cruise liner ot container ship cast off with a non running engine or kill the engine before mooring is completed. NO I REST MY CASE for safety reasons please people DO NOT SWITCH ENGINE OFF BEFORE SAFELY MOORED and NEVER CAST OFF WITH NO ENGINE RUNNING OR A STONE COLD ONE.

Charlie

Nope, but nor have I either!  Engine was running, just not under any great strain, against the tide and neither was there any hint of any skirts lifting.  I was satisfied it was fine, boat was still secure with ropes looped around mooring posts and wife had control of them.....  Engine was running and settled into a nice rhythm....  If it had stalled within 5 mins, I doubt we'd even be passed Pye's moorings.......

• Like 3

to be honest the Channel ferries never really switch the engines off, they just go down to tickover when they are berthed up (as you can always spot by the big black cloud about 30 seconds before they depart, when they bring the revs back up) there is always a trickle of smoke from the funnel even when in port.

• Like 2

Charlie, there is a distinct difference between a short warm up and a long running engine at moorings  - this is the real issue !

I agree entirely regarding running (in neutral) until fore and aft lines are ashore and secured temporarily. THEN switch off and attend to lines and springs.

• Like 3

As was once pointed out to me by a seemingly irate member of Her Majesty's Plod it is an offence to leave my car engine running whilst parked. An engine, surely, is an engine, especially as many, such as Nanni, are generally marinised vehicle ones. It isn't necessary to run up, nor run down, a diesel engine fitted to a four wheel drive so why is it when a similar engine is fitted to a boat? The point I am trying to make, in total agreement with Poppy, is that long warm ups are really not necessary on the Broads. Indeed, so it seems, that running without a load can be deleterious to an engine's well being so why do it? Just curious, are hirers told to partake in these ritualistic, extended warm ups before setting off? Surely a couple or three minutes whilst mooring lines are singled up is all it needs? 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

When I did my DTI ticket in the late 60's it was drummed into all on the course, that never cast off with a cold engine, even if there is no tidal run. 

Charlie

Charlie, back in the Sixties we often had to use a blowtorch to warm up a diesel engine before we could start it. Technology has moved on since those halcyon and innocent times of our youth!

• Like 2

Talking of ferries Stena have installed a shorepower system in Hook Van Holland which they can plug the 2 ferries from Harwich into whilst in the Dutch port reducing the emissions being put out into the local area so it shows what the big boys think about unnecessarily running engines! 

I believe there is legislation regarding emissions from ships nowadays.

• Like 2

If I idles till my oil was up to temperature I would be there all day!

When mooring I keep running till both lines are ashore and I'm happy the Mrs isn't being dragged into the water and turn them off while we sort the lines.

When departing I'll normally take off my springs and tie short lines before starting, let it run for a minute or two then untie and go, I'll give it a bit more of a warmup if I'm going straight out to sea as it will be getting worked harder much quicker but not for river use, the main reason I'll do the ropes first is so I don't get gassed undoing them, my engines belch out some right crap when cold, not because they're knackered it's how they would have been from new as they only have a couple of glow plugs in the inlet manifold and they are low compression direct injection engines.

And if anyone doesn't like the way I do it they can do the same action involving the word "off" used earlier in this thread.

• Like 1

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

Charlie, back in the Sixties we often had to use a blowtorch to warm up a diesel engine before we could start it. Technology has moved on since those halcyon and innocent times of our youth!

A blow torch Peter we used screwed up newspaper soaked in meths in the air intake lol....

I wasnt meaning running up for 10 - 15 minutes or more, just 2 or 3 to warm it through and get the oil circulating, so no chance of stalling as load is applied.

Charlie

• Like 1

Just now, dnks34 said:

Talking of ferries Stena have installed a shorepower system in Hook Van Holland which they can plug the 2 ferries from Harwich into whilst in the Dutch port reducing the emissions being put out into the local area so it shows what the big boys think about unnecessarily running engines! 

There is legislation regarding emissions from boats on the Broads, only no one yet seems to want to apply it. Probably because it is poorly drafted legislation with no standards to adhere to and nor means for Rangers to measure the offending cloud that's fouling the atmosphere and discolouring my sail! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

I can see the benefits at the hook, as the turn around time there is measured in hours, at the channel ports sometimes the ferry is turned around in about 45 minutes, during the busiest time of the day, overnight the turn around is slower, but still under 2 hours as a general rule.

• Like 1

A couple of times a couple of members have implied that they will use an expletive followed by the word "off" when replying to people complaining about the running of engines.

Not for one moment would I think that any member of "this forum" would lower themselves to that level to reply to any fellow boaters. We have all seen boaters use disgraceful language, and by joining in we are becoming like them.

I of course take both comments as complete tongue in cheek, and I hope everyone else does too.

We have great standards on this forum, and others like me support and maintain these standards.

At times of being disturbed by running engines, either noise, smoke or fumes, I have always had a quiet word with the person, I never start the conversation with...Oy you... turn that +#$¥€&@ engine off. The last time I did that, the Ranger took offence. lol

I start the conversation about the holidays if they are enjoying it... earn some respect, then ask is there a reason they are running the engine....? did you know it's not necessary blah blah... a cruise would be more efficient.... when they agree, nod their heads, then you can tell them to €*¥@ off..

The missing word was "cast" lol...

Yes, cast off, go for a cruise, warm the engine, charge the batteries, come back an hour later.... and find your space taken lol....

Probably have a worse group take their place... doh..

Richard

• Like 4

I agree Grendel, Dover with the short turn arounds couldnt do justice to that sort of technology.  Phasing out the older ships for newer ones could improve emissions around Dover.  I dont see that happening anytime soon.  Two of P&O's Hull based ferries have recently been refit in Poland extending their life into the 2020s and they both reach 30 years old this year.  

I've read many times in the season where people will post a running update 'Moored at Acle, its now 8:30pm and Chaos Gem is running their engine still' <lots of comments> 'Well it is now 9:30pm and the engine is still running <lots of comments> 'Right that is it! It's gone 10pm I this is really getting my partner upset I've got to go have words' <lots of comments>.

Why get so hot under the collar? Why 'have words' - turn it into something of a concern/question initially - ask the boater if there is an issue as to why they have been running their engine - there won't be but they will insatiably believe they have to for hot water, batteries, or heating then you can just make something up like "Ahh ok, that's what I used to do until I figured how much it cost me when I took the boat back in fuel".

Another surprising fact so many hirers think the deposit they have paid for £150.00 say, covers a whole tank of fuel - not just say 100 litres. With some warm air heaters using 750ml an hour let alone running an engine this soon gets eaten up. 

When Shiela and I returned Bronze Gem someone faced an additional bill over well over £100.00 - you could see the reception staff bracing for impact upon telling the hirer he had to pay, but he was very polite and said he had paid for a nice boat and I wanted to be warm so i left the heating on all night and knew he would have pay for that but was comfy when on the boat - here is my card. The lady let out a breath as if to say thank god your nice about it.

• Like 3

Just so my methods are on record, I always keep the engine running until the lines have been secured when mooring up and I am certain the boat is not going to start drifting away with the current, kids and dog aboard, whilst I stand admiring it's beauty from the quayside as it disappears from view.

When leaving a mooring I check the bank for anything we may have left, then check the lines and work out how I'm going to get the boat out of the mooring. Once confident of my 'plan' I start up and remove the lines before perfectly executing the aforementioned plan (honest) making approx 2 minutes of run time before moving off. 

I don't think we have ever felt the need to run our engine at a mooring but we do cruise all day to be honest not sit in the same spot all week. I've never really had a problem with other people regarding running engines either but would expect if I did approach someone who was running an engine seemingly unnecessarily to receive either an apology or an explanation why they needed to which being a chilled out sort of guy would be met with a 'No problem' response.

I agree with Robin on this, a lot more can be achieved with a nice word, an explanation and an offer of assistance- be it, it will be cheaper on fuel, to well if the batteries are that bad, I would call the boatyard and they will get out and change them for a good set.

That said even the nice approach can drop you in trouble if you get the wrong person, like the time at the doctors when I was nearly beaten up for suggesting it was not a good idea to throw a coke can out into the car park, as a member of the doctors staff would have to spend time clearing it up, rather than attending to patients. I ended up pinned to my car by a gentleman even larger than myself who threatened to punch me. 

We do not run our engine at a mooring, as soon as the ropes are secure Tan turns it off, the battery box fan and the instrument switches. Power hook up if required and settle down before preparing a meal or going to the pub. 

If we have to be away early for a tide we only start the engine before slipping our ropes, two minutes at most and we have gone keeping our revs low to avoid wash and noise..

Sadly if cold we use the heater or if on shore power we use the electric fires.

Most people who come to the Broads are on holiday or come to relax, why on earth should abuse come to the forefront.

Off to relax on Saturday on the canals our group of aged crew, 6 of us are doing the Four Counties Ring so it should be tranquil for me on the tiller whilst the crew gets all the locks ready.

Regards

Alan

• Like 7