Irstead Staithe

BrundallNavy

Just now, vanessan said:

I believe you are not the only one who does that, there is a certain someone on here that has to do the same thing!

I do wonder if, as a society, we are getting less forgiving. I keep giving myself a real talking to these days when I find myself grumbling about the things some people do. If it is something that is not directly affecting me, or will not affect me for very long, then why should I worry? Life is too short and the time I have left needs to be enjoyed! Like this :Stinkyand this cheers.

You know you have a valid point there,  The secret is not just to give yourself a talking to  but to listen to your inner self as well I'm pretty rubbish at using lifts and have to talk myself into staying on when My whole being just wants to  make a bolt for  the exit. I quite literally reason with myself in order to cope with the fear I suppose I could apply the same principle to tolerance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, addicted said:

That's the whole point most engines out on the Broads have been round the block a few times to say the least and  frankly they stink! We had a boat berthed opposite  to us  when we first came to Brundall Bay and although an electric post was on offer they hadn't availed themselves of it preferring instead to leave their engine running for 5 hours to charge the battreries, the noise was irritating enough but the fumes even from that distance were appalling, after 5 hours I phoned the office and asked them to do something about it. Our superb manageress instantly went and dealt with it.. People who do it when mooring irritate the hell out of me.

Carole

We have people moored up at Oulton Broad Yacht Station, for example, who will run their engines for hours on end whilst moored up, amazing. Why not cast off and go for a correspondingly long trip, after all, it's what boats are for?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

We have people moored up at Oulton Broad Yacht Station, for example, who will run their engines for hours on end whilst moored up, amazing. Why not cast off and go for a correspondingly long trip, after all, it's what boats are for?

Or plug in to a post and switch your engine off!!! 

• Like 2

Answer? Because they would lose their YS mooring. Simples.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Or plug in to a post and switch your engine off!!! 

That makes sense but, so I'm told, motors need to be run, which I suppose they do. So why not go for a trip? Actually I have a theory about that, some folk are actually scared rigid of their boats hence they rarely, if ever leave their moorings!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

What's the betting they then go on social media bad mouthing the hire yard cos they used up all their fuel deposit and more....?

12 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

That makes sense but, so I'm told, motors need to be run, which I suppose they do. So why not go for a trip? Actually I have a theory about that, some folk are actually scared rigid of their boats hence they rarely, if ever leave their moorings!

Yep - sure do.  But when run with no load on the crankshaft (i.e. out of gear and idling), the pistons can 'rattle' about in the bores rather than allowing the piston rings to scrape the oil off...  this causes the bores to glaze and.... you can tell an engine with glazed bores because they proper stink.  Low sulphur fuel doesn't help the aroma either....

I know being spontaneuos is great - but a burp is spontaneous! - plan each days cruising so you can have a hot shower, charge all your gadgets, have hot water left for washing up (no fighting over this chore please; you wash, I'll dry) and the boat batteries get charged. 

• Like 1

It's not usually hire-boats that are the problem!

I'm not sure I understand quite why it is a problem if folk do want to stay on their moorings. Each to their own surely? Boating to me certainly means getting out and about with a different mooring every night but I guess there are some who like to 'pose' on their craft and probably some who only use the boat as a sort of holiday cottage. 

• Like 2

Just now, vanessan said:

I'm not sure I understand quite why it is a problem if folk do want to stay on their moorings. Each to their own surely? Boating to me certainly means getting out and about with a different mooring every night but I guess there are some who like to 'pose' on their craft and probably some who only use the boat as a sort of holiday cottage. 

Not a problem, each to their own, until their activities impact on others. Perhaps I have got it wrong but apparently there are some 10,000 private boats on the Broads, thank goodness that so many of 'em stay tied up!  That getting on for a hundred boats per mile!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SGWilko said:

Yep - sure do.  But when run with no load on the crankshaft (i.e. out of gear and idling), the pistons can 'rattle' about in the bores rather than allowing the piston rings to scrape the oil off...  this causes the bores to glaze and.... you can tell an engine with glazed bores because they proper stink.  Low sulphur fuel doesn't help the aroma either....

I know being spontaneuos is great - but a burp is spontaneous! - plan each days cruising so you can have a hot shower, charge all your gadgets, have hot water left for washing up (no fighting over this chore please; you wash, I'll dry) and the boat batteries get charged. 

Thats exactly how bore vanishing happens running without load , so many times you see people running engines at tick over and I do include both hire and private owners in that statement , obviously they don't realise the damage being done and the lack of output from the alternator hence the leave them running for extended periods .

Why spend 2 hrs running an engine at low revs basically killing an engine when you could be cruising .

This has been an interesting thread, which has hilighted one issue. It seems there are people around who say we should all be more considerate, yet they come across in their arguement as the most INCONSIDERATE people around.  

Timbo has put the best post about running engines until you`re CORRECTLY moored up, and that it`s necessary to warm a cold engine before casting off, especially deisel engines.  

When we`re aboard Lightning, or ANY boat for that matter, we will always leave the engine running until our ropes are properly set and secure, and we will always run the engine for a few minutes before casting off to allow it to warm sufficiently, and allow the oil to reach its correct operating temperature and viscosity, again, a lot more important on a deisel engine. 

In short, if anybody comes to Lightning and complains about the engine running for a mere few minutes, they will be told 2 words, and the second is "off".

If you really must have absolute silence wherever you are, then why not sod off to the north pole, and wear a pear of ear defenders, but i`ve no doubt you`d find something there to whinge about?.

• Like 6

When to turn off a diesel engine, before, during or after mooring your boat is an interesting point.

With regard to "before" it was at Womack about three days ago when a syndicate boat reversed into a mooring. The helm turned the engine off when some eight feet from the bank. The boat continued in reverse. The helm was told to go forward to avoid hitting the bank. It was too late to start the engine and the inevitable impact resulted.

I have also witnessed on more than one occasion that during the mooring that the boat has been left in forward gear. This has resulted in a member of crew fighting to stop the forward motion by engaging in a tug of war with the boat. There is only one winner. Invariably a mooring line is dragged into the water, worst possible scenario, the stern rope, ready to reverse onto.

After mooring the boat and the crew secure would seem to me the ideal time to stop the engine. But most importantly, prior to this happening, the gear lever/throttle should be in neutral, ready to be engaged if necessary.

I was on the Wherry Hathor last year. Running with a strong tide to Stokesby Ferry. A difficult mooring situation. Twenty minutes prior to the mooring Peter Bower summoned the crew together. They were informed of the procedure he wished for them to follow, and to ensure that all warps were stowed correctly and ready to hand.

It was a master class in boatman ship.

The moral of the story, tell your crew what is expected before the event. What is expected of the crew during the event.

Finally, the practice of informing hirers to run their engines at the end of the day was indeed carried out. The reason for this was to some extent historical, handed down by the older staff.

Changeover day was Saturday. All the boats had to be in by 9am. Some of course stayed the night in the yard, some half an hour away. The chances were of course that the batteries were all at last gasp.

After the trial run there were those who charged off to Ranworth or wherever. They got away with it. Those who stayed closer to home port had very little charge to sustain themselves, and certainly benefited from a boost at night.

I would like to think that modern management practice and of course improved technology has made the charging of batteries at moorings unnecessary.

One thing that I would add is that very rarely would boats be allowed to run at the boatyard on changeover day. Certainly the whole fleet would not sit there burbling away.

Why? The carpenters, engineers, cleaning ladies, boat handlers and staff would not wish to work in such an environment.

I certainly would not, and neither would I wish to moor in such a place where diesel pollution was evident.

I think that they had got it right

Andrew

• Like 2

Just now, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

This has been an interesting thread, which has hilighted one issue. It seems there are people around who say we should all be more considerate, yet they come across in their arguement as the most INCONSIDERATE people around.  

Timbo has put the best post about running engines until you`re CORRECTLY moored up, and that it`s necessary to warm a cold engine before casting off, especially deisel engines.  

When we`re aboard Lightning, or ANY boat for that matter, we will always leave the engine running until our ropes are properly set and secure, and we will always run the engine for a few minutes before casting off to allow it to warm sufficiently, and allow the oil to reach its correct operating temperature and viscosity, again, a lot more important on a deisel engine. 

In short, if anybody comes to Lightning and complains about the engine running for a mere few minutes, they will be told 2 words, and the second is "off".

If you really must have absolute silence wherever you are, then why not sod off to the north pole, and wear a pear of ear defenders, but i`ve no doubt you`d find something there to whinge about?.

So I was with you to a point. I single handed moor frequently and the ropes do go on before I turn the engine off, when solo cruising it is hard to be in two places at once, however I tend to go for the secure a line front and back and turn the engine off, then worry about securing the lines at the right length for the evening including springs if needed. However you lost me with your second from last paragraph which is defensive beyond belief. If someone came to have a moan about you running your engine to warm it before leaving the mooring, wouldn't attempt to educate them about why before giving them your two word answer? :shocked

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Its bloody freezing!! 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, addicted said:

I didn't like  to mention that I get off with both ropes in  hand plus a bow/stern thruster remote control! that should get some of 'em going!

I really want to fit bow and stern thrusters together with an electric mud weight,  all on a remote control.  Would this be too much for a Broom Scorpio cheers

• Like 3

This evening on the way back home we drove to Salhouse Broad car park and walked down to the Broad.

there was about twenty boats moored up for the evening , of these four were running their engines and all from the same yard (HW) I'm wondering if they are telling their hirers to do this ?

the other boats were mainly Richardsons and a couple of Faircraft none of these were running their engines .

10 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

:eek: But I reckon you are a big softie really Speedtriple!  

• Like 2