Favourite Whisky

Wonderwall

I quite like my whisky, and as the years go on I'm getting more interested in what they actually are etc.

I like almost all blends , with teachers maybe my faviroute , but top of my list for malts is Jura 16 year just now .

I also like Irish whiskey , with Tullamore Dew very tasty , quite sweet , I would recommend these three.

Lets hear yours , gives me a reason for trying something different next time .

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone who likes whisky say they like Teachers!!!

I rarely drink it but  Glenmorangie would be my choice. It's OK and I have good reason not to try anything else. It's an expensive mistake if you get it wrong and my Dad once bought me a single malt that was truly disgusting. Wish I could remember what it was to warn you.

• Like 1

If you like Jura, then I suggest you try Talisker, Highland Park, Oban. All of these can be delicious and have something in common with Jura, though if possible choose a bottle which declares the age of the whisky rather than the pretentious "named" bottles which are largely an attempt to foist younger vintages on the unsuspecting customer. If you think you can cope with more peat and heather (mixed with a hint of TCP) in your whisky then try one of the Islay distilleries. Laphroaig perhaps the best known, but I'd suggest Bunnahabhain (gentler) or Ardbeg. 

2 hours ago, TeamElla said:

Where does the peaty taste of Laphroaig appear in your ratings?

My least faviroute I think . Too peaty and tastes like medicine for me. 

But that is the beauty of whisky, and life , we don't thankfully al like the same thing . 

• Like 3

Laphroaig 

5 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

My least faviroute I think . Too peaty and tastes like medicine for me. 

But that is the beauty of whisky, and life , we don't thankfully al like the same thing . 

Laphroaig is one of my favourites because of the peaty taste

• Like 1

It is an enormous and continuing disappointment to me that at the age of 18 I ruined my chances of enjoying a lifetime of whisky drinking by attempting, with a friend whilst celebrating the end of A levels in 1978 ( note: this was just the end of the exams, NOT the results which were awful !), to combine a pint with a whisky chaser in as many pubs as we could in Hampstead London !

I think the modern parlance is OMG, what an error of judgement. I have never been able to touch a drop since. Even the slightest smell turns my stomach !

So, very nice and interesting thread but not for me some 40 years later...........

Blended = Chivas Regal

Malts = Much prefer the malts of Speyside over the West coast and Island malts, I find the Spey Malts much smoother. Balvenie, Macallan, Glennfiddich, Glenlivet and Glenfarclas.

9 minutes ago, charlesa said:

It is an enormous and continuing disappointment to me that at the age of 18 I ruined my chances of enjoying a lifetime of whisky drinking by attempting, with a friend whilst celebrating the end of A levels in 1978 ( note: this was just the end of the exams, NOT the results which were awful !), to combine a pint with a whisky chaser in as many pubs as we could in Hampstead London !

I think the modern parlance is OMG, what an error of judgement. I have never been able to touch a drop since. Even the slightest smell turns my stomach !

So, very nice and interesting thread but not for me some 40 years later...........

I did the same with Dark Rum after Arduous Training in the Brecons. Deep Snow Bivvy.

11 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

For blends I favour J&B though of the "cooking Scotches" I find Grants pretty good. I'm not a lover of the peaty ones so for the malts I go for Good ol' Glenmorangie.

J&B is my fav blended as well, closely followed by Crown Royal (Canadian) 

I'm with you on Glenmorangie for the malts although I favour their Port casked one the best :default_beerchug:

6 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

That's sad for me a good whiskey is one of life's pleasures. I feel the same way however  with Gin.When I first worked for Nat West for a time I drunk Gin.Not done do since.Stick with my Whiskey. Now Grace what's your favourite  wine.

Ian:default_drinks:

NatWest has had that effect on a lot of people over the years! :facepalm:

I've tried many whiskies, including some not available to the public, (Regimental) but my favourite is Highland park. If I have to have a west coast whisky it would be Laphroaig.

As for rum, I have been issued with rum a few times after snow clearance, at RAF Neatishead, where the wicker enclosed 1/2 gallon bottle was kept in a safe and at RAF Staxton Wold.

I don't think I could have one favourite.

To offer to guests I avoid the peaty ones unless I know that they are into whiskey. So Glenmorangie Glenlivet typically.

Left to my own vices I am content with the ones above but tend towards the peaty ones like Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Laphroaig. 

Blends I don't know very well so tend to go for Jamersons. 

• Like 1