Big Changes Ahead

LondonRascal

Many thanks for sharing your video Robin. I certainly identified with that feeling of realising that you can now leave your own things there.I know that my caravan cannot really be compared to your magnificent boat - understatement of the year lol! - but it has given us so much freedom to be able to get away from the 9-5 of the working week and truly slow down and relax more. 

I'm sure that you will find your feet in no time and I look forward to seeing how you get on.

• Thanks 1

After that interesting discourse on the pro's and con's of various radar installations, I'm glad I can find my way from Horning to Potter with my eyeballs. In fact, I think I could possibly do it blindfold, I've done it so many times! 

This is a BIG step, Robin, both in knowledge required, and in lifestyle choices. From what I know of you, you'll be able to cope with both, admirably. Good luck to you in your future endeavour.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry I am having one of those days, you know saying too much!

But, the thing is Navico have three main brands: Lowrence, B&G and Simrad. From my experience just seeing what other boaters have fitted, and seeing what used boats for sale have fitted, a lot of people stick with whatever the boat has in the main. They might get a new VHF set, but I for one have never seen in all the times I have looked at used boats any for sale with navigation gear installed in the last 5 years.

This never really was an issue because if you go back a few years, the changes in marine electronics have not been particularly 'ground breaking' and believe it or not a lot of the gear out there runs on Windows XP. In short the likes of Raymarine would sell you a very expensive big grey box but the processing power, screen resolution and main operating system would not impress you if you compared the specs to a high end laptop. But consumers would still pay out for it, new build boats would come with this fitted but increasingly consumers were getting used to an ever faster changing electronic market, and the products in their hands - iPads especially.

Electronic chart producers leap on the bandwagon - after all they don't mind what product features their chart data, so began producing very powerful Apps and then trying to whisper to people 'don't rely on these as your primary means of navigation' after the event. The screen resolution on an iPad was amazing, the speed and the easy to use touch screen was too - third market vendors then came with water proof housings and strong suction mounted arms and the likes of Raymarine were left trying to 'bolt on' additions to their new models that allows you to screen share from your Plotter to your Apple device. Thing was the Plotter that cost many thousands of pounds was slower and more cumbersome to use than the iPad which cost just a few hundred pounds.

Garmin, Raymarine and Navico to name but three, had to come up with some seriously sexy looking, fast and powerful gear to stop people just using an App with their iPad and not updating their primary electronic navigation suite. Out of the main players we saw first hybrid touch and then full touch operable Plotters with  mutli-core processing, far faster memory reducing the lag, which in turn reduced the chart draw times.

I like Simrad because they got there first, but there not as well known or accepted here in the UK - mainly as their marketing push is for the big fishing 'gun hoe' crowd in the States, but also Australia and New Zealand. But whenever you see a multi-million dollar super yacht check out whose gear is on the helm - it will  be Simrad. Volvo Penta also took a lot of design elements from the Simrad gear to bring to their own glass bridge products, and by adjusting the base software Navico can appeal to different market segments:  B&G  to sailing boats, Lowrance especially so with Anglers.

Raymarine was once part of the consumer electronics branch of the Raytheon corporation which was a major US defense contractor, but in 2010 Raymarine  became part of FLIR  and  their product line has suffered I think as they do have the good gear, but it always seems a little bit behind, not leading.  Also, items they like transom mounted transducers they produce, when you pick them up feel  very 'cheap and plasticy' compared to other brands.

Now this all sounds great - but the point that is always brought up is what happens when your electronic navigation gear fails and how the digital charts are based upon their paper cousins, but may not feature the level  of detail of the paper chart. The issue is how often do leisure boaters buy new charts? Look at how many amendments are made each year by the Admiralty to their paper charts and the many obvious errors that persist.

But what always strikes me is when someone raises this point they very rarely take into account that generally they will have 1 paper chart on their boat. That one crucial document keeps them safe so let me ponder this:

I used to think I may just be a fool in thinking things, but now I begin reading up on this, I see actually lots of people are reaching the same conclusions. For every reason navigating with paper may be safer, you can counter this as to why electronics are better.  There are no moving parts, high end handsets from any leading manufacture are now all water, dust and shock proof. This mass produced stuff made  with such high manufacturing quality just to keep us from destroying them if we drop them in the bath yet this same technology makes having such ready to go in a ditch bag possible. You need no mobile signal to get a GPS fix, you've got a build in Barometer, compass and with the right App you have charts too. You just need power - and since that can be made so easily from Solar, wind, or hand cranking devices it makes sense. But because other items are so much cheaper like a hand held stand alone GPS unit, you can even get for a couple hundred pounds a basic 'sat phone' that can send your location and a short message via text to any mobile number globally.

So perhaps the future is multiple layers of electronic devices, each separate and self contained, which would cover each other should one fail for whatever reason. But here is an interesting article that really made me think:

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/electronics/state-paper-charts

Been enjoying your journey Rascal.  For info Volvo Penta’s Glass Cockpit uses Garmin screens, apart from the software we had little input into the design of the actual screen.

When you end up back in Norfolk French Marine are Yanmar dealers if you need any help with the engines.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Sorry I am having one of those days, you know saying too much!

Let you off this time I've just learnt more about radar, my concern was if the screen itself went down but you say it works by the ipad as well. Is updating it via the web and adding maps etc.

Are you sure you really know what you want on your boat Robin? It's strikes me that throughout  this thread that you are going to spend more than you paid for the boat. Why do you need to spend a fortune upgrading your nav gear to cruise  the Yare and the North sea.? I'm not decrying you Robin, it's  just that it having worked in the industry based mainly around Oyster Marine, all these super dooper integrated systems came hand in hand with big integration problems. Keep it simple.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Labrador said:

Why do you need to spend a fortune upgrading your nav gear to cruise  the Yare and the North sea.?

Frankly a boat like that should be spending the Summer in the Med - like achored off Formentera hosting a few scantily un-clad maidens...

Disclaimer: I've never been to Formentera (Ibiza 13 times, Menorca twice & Mallorca 3 times).

Are you sure you really know what you want on your boat Robin? It's strikes me that throughout  this thread that you are going to spend more than you paid for the boat. Why do you need to spend a fortune upgrading your nav gear to cruise  the Yare and the North sea.?

Ahh you've done it now haha - you've begun to try and work out things in a civilized, logical and sensible manner. I'm afraid to say my mind often operates outside of these confines.

In all seriousness, no I surly do not need half of these things but it is what gives me a kick I guess, an would be happy sat chugging over Breydon looking at my fancy screens thinking 'yep Radar is working I can see the channel markers on the screen' as I look up out the window and see them pass by too. I found a fellow Londoner recently, who has a model very similar to the boat I have bought and has shared online his cruising logs. He cruises from the likes of Falmouth to Portugal and now keeps the boat in Croatia. His boat has minimal fancy gear and manages just fine.

But, I genuinely can't imagine me ever doing such things, or cruising to such far away places - too hot for me for once thing which is why I avoid flying to those places in the summer let along going there in a boa. However,  it is nice to think the boat is capable of it and with the updates I seek would make all of that type of thing very much easier.

I have ideas on the cost of the kit, the real deal is how much is the company down in Plymouth are going to charge in Labour to fit it. I might therefore have second thoughts and go for something a little less fancy.

Love the pictures of the interior of the boat, I’m smitten!

Robin - with all that gear left on board and the posh cabins, I reckon you are well kitted out to do some charter trips. How about ‘Rascal’s River and Coast’ skippered charters? The Yare and Waveney then out to sea weather permitting. Problem might be finding someone to do the cooking............:default_winko:

Look what I found in the wetshed!

Yep it’s a mucky black pneumatic fender. Floated in at some point and fished out. So I got set to and cleaned it. Voila,  sparkly clean, not punctured and BLUE !

sometime in the New Year I shall be traveling down to Guz (Plymouth) with Robin and Bro, (diaries permitting)

This ere BLUE fender has got the proud name ‘Independence’ written all over it, whaddya reckon?

Oh and btw - don’t tell the Rascal !  :default_norty:

Griff

57CC152C-5C3C-4E12-9803-B8AFA2CDD364.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

Charlie, you know how your good wife shouts our your name when you are in the dog house? Well imagine that coming from me haha...Bloody blue fenders!

Some people think you’re a madman if you own a wooden boat, they prefer the ‘un-rotatable’ GRP that about the worse can occur if left is go chalky or green. 

However, I have now discovered that there is a special place (mental health ward) for people like me, who have a woody to help take care of and a large sea boat. 

Today I have been exchanging messages with a very helpful chap as to items I should attend to, think about and plan for. In addition to this are the points I already have to deal with and know about that are looming. I tell you, the excitement can soon turn to one of worry if you ponder over things for too long but I am keeping things positive and moving along. 

I have a list of items - as you know that I am building up to have dealt with prior to her move to Norfolk – one of the issues (or unknowns) is her fuel. She might have up to 3,000 litres on board right now, but how old this is, and what steps have been taken over time to deal with things like ‘Diesel Bug’ and water in her tanks I know not. The engineering firm who has looked after her has just said ‘her fuel is ok as far as they know’ which is a rather ‘we are sitting on the fence here’ reply and not wanting to commit any liability, which since I have never been their client and not handed them a penny over so far I can understand. 

I have today contacted a firm in the area of the Marina she is in to have the tanks looked at and using their onsite fuel cleaning and polishing service. This more than just taking the fuel out of the tank, running through a filter and putting it back in it again, for they will go through the entire system, filters, and tanks the lot. My fear increasingly is the tanks she has onboard are galvanised mild steel and not stainless or GRP. I am not at that point of ‘omg what if they begin to leak’ but more ‘Christ what must the insides be like’. This is not something I can let rest or take a risk on, because the worst thing would be to leave Port come next year, get into a rolling sea and before we know it the filters are getting clogged up with crud that has been stirred up in her tanks having settled their nicely for goodness knows how long. 

I now know too my fuel system is to put it simply ‘bloody complicated’ with three thanks and a complex valve assembly and balancing system. This already caused the last owner some issues,  when the boat developed a bad list and nobody could figure out what was going on.  It turned out that the boat had been buffeted by a strong beam on wind and the rocking motion had begun to transfer via gravity fuel from the starboard tank to the centre tank and centre to port tank as they each began to fill into each other – the list grew, the siphon effect became ever more and effectively one tank drained into the other over a period of days. 

Once the problem was found it was time to balance the fuel back and a valve now labelled ‘leave normally closed’ put in which, so far as I can fathom prevents the fuel from moving between tanks. It might have just isolated the midships 90 gallon tank leaving fuiel to be had from the port and starboard tank only. This, just naother one of those things to work out.  

It is especially  important on Independence to have her tanks balanced because of her ‘light’ engines.  Usually Traders have far larger and much heavier CAT engines keeping the weight and centre of gravity down, the lighter and smaller Yanmars therefore effectively require the additional weight of the centre fuel tank to bring the weight up – and with my 300+ KG RIB up top and a massive crane and support column this weight balance becomes all the more crucial.  I have been told time and again to consider getting stabilisers fitted since Traders roll heavily in beam or aft quartering seas, but you can forget that for they cost upwards of £70,000 to have put in! I will just hold on for free. 

Even being careful not to go silly, and choose some unbranded items like the hoover and more basic Draper tools has soon caused my Amazon shopping list to top £1,300 but having had another cull, what is left really is needed for currently she has not even got a single screwdriver onboard!  

By the way, here is a longer tour and video I took - showing some of the items I have now got, like new bedding in the aft cabin and a clear and clean galley :)

• Like 1

Charlie, you know how your good wife shouts our your name when you are in the dog house? Well imagine that coming from me haha...Bloody blue fenders!   :default_icon_e_surprised:

I was thinking 'What goes round comes round' too.  If 'B.A' is up to cruising with a tatty old blue fender, then Independence under command of the same Rascal is up to cruising on the same river system with a sparkly clean blue fender also   :default_smiley-taunt014:

Griff

Thanks so much for sharing this adventure, it's the boat most of us would never afford to buy, but we can enjoy the process with you. I liked the details  of settling in, changing to LED lights etc that we all do, bringing it down to earth in a practical way. The mega booze, but no screwdriver aboard was really amusing to reflect on previous usage patterns, too.

You may not be bound for the Med, but from the East Coast, The Netherlands is a good option, as is Normandy, neither known for being too swelteringly hot . :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Polly said:

The mega booze, but no screwdriver aboard was really amusing to reflect on previous usage patterns, too.

I think we can safely say hot dogs weren't for tea that evening.

Enjoyed your video Robin, very exciting for you whilst at the same time daunting. 

I look forward to watching how the adventure continues.