Big Changes Ahead

LondonRascal

55 feet long?? I thought the byelaws only permit maximum of 46 feet boats on the broads. Except in exceptional circumstances like coming in from sea for servicing and then only a few times a year. Maybe I have got that wrong. :default_sailing:

29 minutes ago, Alone1 said:

55 feet long?? I thought the byelaws only permit maximum of 46 feet boats on the broads. Except in exceptional circumstances like coming in from sea for servicing and then only a few times a year. Maybe I have got that wrong. :default_sailing:

I must say that that thought crossed my mind as well.

Hi Robin

I hope all goes as you plan, I assume this is not a boat to be seen anywhere near Wroxham. I will miss the blogs. It wont be the same if I cannot imagine being along the same bit of river at some future date.  Good Luck

On 10/28/2017 at 09:59, Snowy said:

I’m sure I read somewhere Robin planned to moor at Waveney River Centre, I may have dreamt that 

Ipswich has a few good marina's and good routes out to sea. Also if he plans to live aboard, I think I heard that he may be in the legal profession and since it feels like solicitor city around here, I doubt very much that he would have trouble in getting a job. 

I can’t imagine Robin doing/buying anything without going into it all as thoroughly as he possibly could, particularly when he plans to live on the boat. No doubt he will reveal all in due course although, if he tells us where he will be moored, he will have folk queuing up for a cuppa (or a beer!). 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I can’t imagine Robin doing/buying anything without going into it all as thoroughly as he possibly could, particularly when he plans to live on the boat. No doubt he will reveal all in due course although, if he tells us where he will be moored, he will have folk queuing up for a cuppa (or a beer!). 

Wherever he is going to be moored, I'm sure he has looked into direct routes for the BA owners club to take, for when they need to arrive with their tools.

Hi all,

Well lets clear a few things up :) I have indeed had a good look through the Bylaws, and you know what concerns me more than beam or length is draft - I'll get on to that in a moment, but the boat I am planning on owning is 15ft beam so this means the relevant section of the Dimension Bylaws 1995 is:

(c) Vessels having a beam exceeding 4.27 metres (14ft).

River Waveney: Upstream of Beccles Town Road Bridge
River Bure: The entire waterway including Ranworth Dam and
South Walsham Fleet Dyke

Therefore I am good to cruise the Yare in its entirety (though in reality there are areas off limits due to bridges that don;t really work now or are too low to begin with such as at Thorpe) and I can cruise the Waveney too - since the boat has a 20ft air draft Beccles Yacht Station is a no no, but I could truthfully use the moorings on the upstream side of the bridge for boats unable to get under it.  

Northern Broads is a no-go but it matters not because that is why I am sticking with Broad Ambition for the river cruising 'practical' stuff.

The reason I am bothered about draft is because the draft of these boats is so variable and changes from boat to boat based upon what engines, tank capacity for fuel and water and so on was specified at build - I have seen drawing showing a 3ft 6" draft, and others speak of 5ft 4" - that seems frankly enormous - but even the Survey reports have made no mention of her actual draft.

Anyway, to clear some things up this is not going to be a  'live-a-board' because that would mean a lot of fussing and planning and goodness knows, so I will be spending a lot of time on her but I won't be living on her full time and since I own a house in Cambridgeshire this has become my 'official residence' so far as documents, Council Tax and the like all go. As to future jobs believe it or not I have not begun to look into this area yet because I am pondering a change of direction where that is concerned too,  from my point of view as long as I have the money to look after my obligations I am happy, and once you 'let go' so to speak of the ladder and rat race you sure do feel a lot more free and see life in a different way.

Clearly this is an enormous step to be taking, and much of it is being done alone and there will be a great deal of time I need to take to 'get to know' the boat if I am successful in her purchase. They way these Traders are made means their systems and engine room is laid out in rather a professional manner taking design ideas from larger passage making craft not the typical powerboat. There are a number of issues that will need looking into right away to have her BSS compliment not least her extensive fuel filtration system and glass bowl Racor filters which as installed would be a fail. At least there is no gas on the boat, which makes me happy.

Anyway time will tell.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, springsong said:

But if you don't come on the Broads with her you wont have to change the glass bowls I believe.

Robin I am really quite envious.

Well Barry, you will be pleased to know that boarding her can be made very easy, yes even for you - with the use of the Crane she has :default_coat: - So even you would have no excuse for not being able to part take in some christening drinks onboard.

Seriously, I do want her on the Broads for a number of reasons but also because there is a fare amount of scope for cruising and when based in a Marina on the coast what can you do when it is too rough, wet or gloomy to fancy heading out - on the Broads you can take a cruise to the likes of Reedham and have a few drinks in the pub.

There are BSS compliant Racor filters that have a 'protection' afforded to the glass area, the reason these are are seen as a 'no no' to BSS is if the glass bowel were to crack either through direct impact or though the heat in a fire that may have begun elsewhere, it would cause an unrestricted source of fuel to feed the flames.

I know some people just opt to go for the solid metal bowls - these work and pass the BSS, but then you have no visual aid to see the crud in fuel or indeed any water that may have got into it. On Broad Ambition we have a 'Fuel Guard' primary fuel filter Fuel Guard Website which I would encoruage any 'Broads boater' to look into, they require very little servicing, has a stainless steel mesh filter that you clean with fresh diesel and just empty any contamination.water from the bowl (which is BSS compliant). I note they now do larger filters to keep up with the fuel demands (litre per hour) the Trader engines would require. This is certainly now on my list of things to look into.

I also like the idea of a fuel polishing system where fuel from the tank and on its return to the tank from the engine passes through filtration independently of the main filters/water separators for the engines. It looks something like this:

Smart-FPS_DX_clear.jpg

• Like 4

Hmm, my boat has a glass fuel filter/water trap and has passed the BSS with it fitted, it is mounted close to the fuel tank which is in the bow.

This from the BSS website:

"Fuel filters can be prone to the heat from a fire and impact damage. Failure of a fuel filter can lead to additional fuel being added to any fire. You must only use appropriate fire resistant and impact resistant fuel filters designed for marine use. Clear bowl, glass or plastic filters meeting these criteria are acceptable, as long as they are designed for use with the fuel-type. Alternatively fuel filters marked with ISO 10088 are also acceptable. [2.16]"

Robin - I note they now do larger filters to keep up with the fuel demands (litre per hour) the Trader engines would require. This is certainly now on my list of things to look into.

That'll no doubt another item on the Traders 'To Do' list, which no doubt I will have my very own copy of :default_smiley-char054:

Griff

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

That'll no doubt another item on the Traders 'To Do' list, which no doubt I will have my very own copy of :default_smiley-char054:

Griff

If I am successful with this, I think your clip board will be needing several new sheets of paper added to it - but fear not, your not be fretting over it unless you wish.

I have a 'two stage' program in my mind, essential items to check, replace, add to or sort prior to departure to Norfolk and ongoing improvements that can be done as and when, but as we know with B.A. the 'ongoing improvement' list does not seem to really get less, as more improvements are thought up and you know, I have a funny feeling a lot of that is down to me.. :default_coat:

• Haha 2

Robin ,not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread , is Sheila a part of this plan?? Obviously a big life change on the cards so just wanted to ask , wish you well whatever the plans you have ,hope you have the cameras and equipment ready to document this journey from day one , pretty sure there will be plenty of people eagerly awaiting updates following you're experiences, I know I have been missing the blogs, hope its not too long before we have a new series of blogs to watch , wish you well in whatever you decide to do , , just make sure you film it ...

• Like 2

a crane sounds fun bring it on as they say, as long as that Griffin chap is not on the controls. 

Gimme Gimme Gimme, just gotta film that one :default_norty:

I think your clip board will be needing several new sheets of paper added to it - but fear not, your not be fretting over it unless you wish

How could I possibly refuse? - Bring it on,  Have you not dunnit yet?   Is that all? 

Griff

08:41 - 31st October 2017:  "I am pleased to say that your offer has been accepted..."

So there you have it, no negotiations and counter offers and I have just saved £32,500. I am rather excited today and now have to carefully go through the various documents, read the small print and sign on the dotted line and send off the readies.

Jocave asked me about Shiela and if she is all part of this, and to be honest I am not really sure. I don't think she is really either.  We talk about it, she is keen and a week later off the idea. She finds the whole idea about this boat and moreover the sheer amount of money it will be costing rather too much to get her head around so I can't really say much on that since I am not sure myself. 

I plan on doing some filming but don't expect Blogs for a good while, I am not saying I am never going to do them again, but I need to complete on this boat, get back into driving lessons, pass my test and get used to driving, leave my job, pack up the home in London,sort a completely new boat out and learn about it's systems and so on to  ready her move from the south coast up to Norfolk.

I need to then make moves with items from my home in Cambridgeshire to boat and decide what direction I then need to go in so far as future employment and after all that take a deep breath and still if I still have a girlfriend who has hung on through all this life change. But lets rewind back to where we are now and small issue of getting the money sent off and actually becoming the new owner.

• Like 14