Big Changes Ahead

LondonRascal

Well, today was the day - I have made a formal offer to the Broker for the boat. The amount I was offering changed up and down and left and right. I then considered that a 'polite' offer is usually 10% below the listed price, but this depends on a number of factors - for example a popular model that will sell easier is unlikely to move much on asking price, whereas a less popular brand or a boat that has been on the market a good while might.

So considering the Broker has probably told his client over time to expect at least 10% off (it has been on the market on and off for about 3 years) and you only have to see how many Traders are sat there waiting for buyers at all types of prices I have gone in 13% under asking price. I personally expect this will be soon dismissed and I am hoping for a counter offer to be made and I would suspect that there will be much pushing of the virtues of the boat compared to others and the fact it has already been reduced over time etc etc. I guess it will all come down to how keen the owner is to get it sold and move on and how long it has been since anyone had any serious interest previously.

I will keep you posted.

• Like 6

This may be so, but if the offer was accepted I am happy (even though then you'd be thinking to yourself had I offered less would that have been accepted).

But this is not a small cabin cruiser on a river, though this is a 55ft sea boat from 2003 and as such it clearly has a larger value (even if this is only perceived)  and from my point of view a great deal going for it, from low engine hours, to multiple upgrades and included 'toys' and just two owners my room to bargain is reduced.

Perhaps it is going to come down to perhaps the owner who has cash in the bank and does not need to sell to buy something else, but is keen to unload the boat after their period of ownership and move on - how keen they want that is the key. For all I know they will jump at the chance and think 'thank God that is sorted' and then I will be here in due time moaning about a myriad of issues I have inherited.

I am confident my offer won't be accepted though, and so anything lower would equally not have been but I felt it was a fair offer none the less without being offensive. It is up to me to then accept the counter offer made, or try and bang out a deal somewhere between what the owner seeks and I do. Talk about being on edge now though also it is exciting.

• Like 4

David, Initially it will be about getting various points addressed then bring her to Norfolk - which reminds me I must chase the mooring there and pay for this because no good having a boat and no mooring!

It will then (all being well) be moored on the southern rivers where her beam and height is not so much of an issue then in time I would hope to learn and become more competent especially so far as navigation and so on, and can envisage things with 'team B.A' being an extension of that with trips locally along our coast but also be rather nice to head off in the summer to continent it really does open up a new part of life and exploring and adventures which is also why I like a slow, practical comfortable vessel than a smaller sporty fast one where the cruise is part of the adventure not just the arrival in quick time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

10% off seems a rather high offer to me, I'd have gone in with 25% as a minimum, perhaps even lower. 

Now you have left yourself open to bargaining it to 5% of the asking price.

I don't agree MM, I think an offer too low just risks annoying the vendor and making them non-responsive. 

Good luck Robin, hoping you can agree a deal. 

52 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

David, Initially it will be about getting various points addressed then bring her to Norfolk - which reminds me I must chase the mooring there and pay for this because no good having a boat and no mooring!

It will then (all being well) be moored on the southern rivers where her beam and height is not so much of an issue then in time I would hope to learn and become more competent especially so far as navigation and so on, and can envisage things with 'team B.A' being an extension of that with trips locally along our coast but also be rather nice to head off in the summer to continent it really does open up a new part of life and exploring and adventures which is also why I like a slow, practical comfortable vessel than a smaller sporty fast one where the cruise is part of the adventure not just the arrival in quick time.

St Olaves Marina always has spaces and you are at the gateway of going three ways there.    We moored there for 3 years,  24/7 facilities ,  coded entrance,   very secure,  on Pontoons no worry of your ropes.

46 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

The last boat we owned was a sailing boat, kept at Tollesbury in Essex, but it sounds as though the mission profile was similar, coastal trips at weekends with longer trips over to Holland / Belgium /France in the summer holidays. I always loved sailing to Holland and getting in to the Dutch waterways. It came as a shock when we entered the lock at Vlissingen and went down to level of the canal, it really brought home how low lying Holland is, which doesn't help when you are in the middle of the  Veersmeer, and you can see a thunderstorm coming closer and we had a 10m metal mast sticking up in the air! We had disconnected every instrument I could easily remove and placed it in the oven, in the hope that it would work as a Faraday cage in the event of a lightning strike... Happy days!

Well all i can say is having had a further email from the Broker who said it is under consideration, it seems reading between the lines it might be a bit better than just 'under consideration' as I have been sent a draft contract for approval and further terms and things I need to do - such as provide evidence of identity, proof of funds and so on for anti-money laundering. I may be naive here, but it is not something we do where I work until we have both parties agreed on the price. One therefore wonders if it has been a case of Broker calling owner, owner saying 'I think I might go for this give me the weekend to decide formally' and Broker thinks this is as good as in the bag I will get the paperwork moving now.

Certainly seems a cushy job being a boat Broker for amount of work done for reward in fees.

• Like 5

I think its yours. Owner is happy they have got a sale at near asking and have been vindicated holing out for the right buyer, Broker is happy to make a sale on a hard to sell boat, You are happy with the boat and the price, job done!

4 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I don't agree MM, I think an offer too low just risks annoying the vendor and making them non-responsive. 

Good luck Robin, hoping you can agree a deal. 

I agree, providing I was confident I had priced competitively anyone offering me 25% below an asking price may well not be taken seriously from that point onward. 

At the end of the day dont expect people to give their boats away!  If you were the seller you wouldnt appreciate it!! 

I think you have offered very fairly Robin and I wish you the best of luck and lots of enjoyment with it! 

• Like 2