Channel 4 Tonight's Canals Program Is On The Broads

RegalSafari

Rene and I watched it together. I lost count of the times she asked, "Where are we now?". Yes, it jumped about all over the place, but as has been said, we only realised because we're so familiar with the area. As an introduction to the Broads, and a diverting hour of gentle entertainment (which is all it purports to be), I couldn't really fault it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Well I never! I am astounded and also delighted! You all know I am a cynic about tv boating programmes and not just Tim and Pru, but this was totally different. I think it was so very good, for two main reasons :

1/. The producers didn't have a hidden agenda, as film crews usually do, so we didn't have to suffer dead fish, piles of rubbish, broken down banks and they even managed to keep Tim's obligatory collision out of it, for once.

2/. Someone (and I don't think it was the BA) had provided them with detailed accurate information about Broads history and they stuck to it all the way through. I suspect the Wherry Trust had a lot to do with that and if so, well done to them.

It didn't matter that it jumped about - they always do - and I think it was fair to portray more private boating than hire. There are three times as many private boats these days, but I don't know where they got the figure of 15,000 from, if I heard that right? Anyway, Lady Patricia is a hire boat!

I had a horrible feeling that that steam launch in Stalham was "running" a big end bearing. I have never heard a steam launch engine like that before - they are normally whisper quiet. This was more like a pile driver.

I have been involved in a lot of TV on boats in my time and apart from The Wind In The Reeds, by Philip Wayre in the 50s,  This is the best TV documentary about inland waterways boating I have ever seen.   :default_icon_clap:  :default_icon_clap:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I found the program a delight and it did give good snapshots of the diverse scenery.

Prue and Tim were at their best and the commentary was factual (except for the number of boats)  and interesting. They got a lot into an hour (less adverts) and I was left wanting more. I could have done with less Roy Hudd but it was in context with their memories and to be honest an awful lot of Broads tourists do make a beeline for Great Yarmouth.

Probably jointly the best Broads television program I have seen, the other being Back to the Broads with Robin Bailey which I still watch on an old VHS!

• Like 4

Regarding their source of information, who ever it was, all praise to them & the balance that they maintained. Nothing personal nor anti BA but thankfully the producers avoided taking the easy and probably more obvious option by contacting them.  Whoever, my thanks to him/her for providing quality, non political information. I note that a number of the archive photographs have previously appeared on Broadland Memories, a clue perhaps?

• Like 3

I really enjoyed the programme and also thought the production company did a superb job. It was a lovely taster of what the Broads has to offer, and a very nice, concise history of the region too.

Well spotted Peter - yes, I did supply some photographs for the programme from the Broadland Memories archives, but there were also some really interesting photos from other sources on there too. I didn't supply any historic information other than what they might possibly have gleaned whilst trawling through Broadland Memories looking for photos.

Carol

• Like 7

(Leaps in unannounced and probably unwanted :default_sad:). I think it was in a programme called "Salvage Hunters" from a couple of years back. It's been repeated a couple of times, but I don't know of a way of watching it "on demand". It was on the "Quest" channel.

• Like 1

Just re-watched it and WR does appear (slightly distantly) in several shots on the Ant in particular.

We were looking near the beginning when Tim and Pru were drinking from willow pattern tea cups on the Swan lawn.  My husband remarked that they look just like the ones on WR!!!  Then again another shot on the Ant when Pru is holding the same design cup (so not supplied by the Swan), but the next shot shows a different mug.  A short while after, Pru is talking in the galley and low and behold not only some willow pattern cups stacked neatly aside of the mug holder but there is my Hungry Caterpillar mug and another mug which for some reason I have acquired!!!!  Both currently on my kitchen table having been through the dishwasher last night! (after stripping WR of anything that will go mouldy in the winter!).

All good fun!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Well I never! I am astounded and also delighted! You all know I am a cynic about tv boating programmes and not just Tim and Pru, but this was totally different. I think it was so very good, for two main reasons :

1/. The producers didn't have a hidden agenda, as film crews usually do, so we didn't have to suffer dead fish, piles of rubbish, broken down banks and they even managed to keep Tim's obligatory collision out of it, for once.

2/. Someone (and I don't think it was the BA) had provided them with detailed accurate information about Broads history and they stuck to it all the way through. I suspect the Wherry Trust had a lot to do with that and if so, well done to them.

It didn't matter that it jumped about - they always do - and I think it was fair to portray more private boating than hire. There are three times as many private boats these days, but I don't know where they got the figure of 15,000 from, if I heard that right? Anyway, Lady Patricia is a hire boat!

I had a horrible feeling that that steam launch in Stalham was "running" a big end bearing. I have never heard a steam launch engine like that before - they are normally whisper quiet. This was more like a pile driver.

I have been involved in a lot of TV on boats in my time and apart from The Wind In The Reeds, by Philip Wayre in the 50s,  This is the best TV documentary about inland waterways boating I have ever seen.   :default_icon_clap:  :default_icon_clap:

I noticed that also, I hoped it was due to a very unfortunate positioning of the microphone rather than something more serious.

2 hours ago, Arthur said:

You are right Ray

It was Salvage Hunters season 3 episode 2.   Broadcast around 2013 I think.

Not available for Free on Youtube unfortunately but I did find it on Amazon Video fro £2.40

Salvage Hunters

Scroll down the page to find episode 2

Hope the link works.

Spot on Arthur, thanks. I'll pay £2.49 and take a look at that. 

20 minutes ago, springsong said:

Falcon the MOB steam launch had all new bearings a couple of years ago. I was told the cause of the knocking but have forgotten.

Having spent a lot of time and money and tied up several expensive metalworking machines to produce  brand new main bearings ,and big ends for Falcon approx 3 or 4 years ago , at zero cost to the museum, I would certainly hope the museum is taking care of engine  bedplate alignment  and proper lubrication regime  .

I am sure the knocking is most likely from some ancilliary pump or linkage etc and not from the bearings ..

At the time I supplied an automatic lubricator to be adapted for the engine but am not sure if  this is fitted or not 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It was interesting to hear the comments from 'Plod' that the Harbour Master at Oulton Broad had phoned Broads Beat to warn them that a troublesome crew was heading their way. Possibly a set up for the program but back in the 60's and 70s, when I was involved, it was common practice to warn fellow businesses further along the river. Hullabaloos must have wondered why there were welcoming parties at their next stop! Back then, and probably now,  the Broads was very much a network, often referred to as The Broads Mafia! 

• Thanks 1

I did think that Tim and Pru sounded a little concerned that they might genuinely have a call to go to in the middle of filming! But it also occurred to me that they couldn't have known which direction they would go in from Oulton Broad ... and it might not have been in the direction of where they were.

• 4 weeks later...