The End Of An Era

ChrisB

As many of you will know I have struggled to use my boat after the loss of my wife. There were just too many memories attached to that boat. We actually did not sleep on her very much, really only if we went to Hickling or Coltishall, although we liked Fleet Dyke for long circular walks.  Before it's closure we would often spend a day at Boundary Farm, Thurne Mouth and having taken yet another long circular walk armed with "bins" and camera would have dinner on board and then return to Broadsedge. This would often be after dark in Autumn.

My problems came to a head sometime before I went on my long vacation to Australia. Just before midnight, having not been able to sleep, I felt that I just had to get off the boat. That would have been easy,  but for the fact I had helped myself to someones swinging mooring. Upshot was I night nav'd back to Stalham on a pitch black, moonless night.

I had thought that the boat would help me with my grieving process but sadly this was not to be. I started to look at adverts for similar boats of a similar age but taking into account that another years tolls are nearly due, mooring similar, 8% brokerage + VAT. I came to an agreement with a dealer to take the boat at what I would have ended up with.

I would like to thank Richardsons, who I called on Monday, who good as their word cleared their slip for me.

I now have a large amount of equipment, some Broads related, other stuff from my sea going boats. Nearer the start of the season I will list it, photograph it and offer it for sale. As far as I am concerned the money is long gone and I don't need to recoup. I shall price all of it very competitively and will not be open to offers. 10% will go to this forum the balance I shall split between Cancer Research and the RNLI. 

I hope to still go boating but not as an owner, at least for this year. I have already booked a Thames Barge trip. I am waiting for the day sailings to be published for the Wherry Yacht Charter and I really fancy hiring Tumblehome from Martham and spending four days above Potter Bridge.

Will I go back into ownership???   Well if I do it will be a day boat with a lid, with heads and an alcohol ring to boil a kettle and make a bacon sandwich. So a Shetland Family Four? However should a nice bilge keel, MkIII, two berth layout Corribee appear over the horizon, that I could get up here to Neil Thompson to work his magic on then I would be sorely tempted.

Off she goes20180207_101929.thumb.jpg.9c5084d543f95ebaebc735674e6d0626.jpg

From Craig's Boats of the Norfolk Broads in happier times..........

20180206_065621.jpg.62ba12791aba909a72af5c26691bcb7e.jpg

A few tears did well up as I walked back to collect my car from Broadsedge, not for the boat but for the memories of the two of us on her.

Time for a cup of tea

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

Somehow I feel there are no words to say, but I feel I ought just to say thank you for sharing on this and the previous thread. Some of us will have to go through the same experience at some point, and reading your threads again may be of some help to us when the time comes.

• Like 6

Thank you for sharing Chris as you say it is hard and impossible to forget your memories that you had on your boat.

I am pleased to hear that you will keep boating in some way or other. I have spoken to many people in your circumstances who have had to sell their boats  because of little use, ill health or change in lifestyle. Syndicate or shares in a boat by like minded people  (take for example Broad Ambition) might be a way forward for you.

Regards

Alan

• Like 5

Hello Chris and like others I feel very honoured that you shared something very special to your good self with us - and whilst I would never dream in telling someone what to moving forwards i personally feel you have done the right thing stepping back for a while .its also quite clear your love of the water so hopefully in time you will get back on it .

take care Chris 

finny

• Like 3

So sorry to read of your sadness.

I hope you find what will help. If you get a Corribee, I trust that you like trampolining, they are the bounciest boats I have ever been on.

When we get Brilliant back afloat, I hope you will join us for a sail.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Polly said:

I hope you find what will help. If you get a Corribee, I trust that you like trampolining, they are the bounciest boats I have ever been on.

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Hi Chris,  Thanks for sharing very poignant.  I don't know whether to be happy for your new era that is forthcoming or sad at the one now closed, probably a bit of both.

You will be welcomed for a trip with us onboard 'B.A' if you fancy it,

Griff

Dear Polly and Griff,

Thank you so much for your kind offers, I would enjoy that very much indeed.

( If it ever warms up in Norfolk! Dreading what my utilities are this winter! Still you have to be warm)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Polly said:

I know what you mean Polly. Francis Chichester used to call boats like that "rockers" and it was his main gripe with Gypsy Moth IV.  Boats designed back then had very pleasing lines but they had fine entry and did not carry their buoyancy back to the transom like modern yachts. With all the buoyancy concentrated amidships they rock. It really can become a problem if your power is a transom hung outboard. One minute "prop out" bad for both propulsion and your impeller, next OB submerged.

Thanks for sharing with us Chris, you’ve shown and continue to show great courage throughout the past year or so  by sharing your concerns and feelings with us.

It’s understandable  how your boat held too many memories and just didn’t feel right anymore.

I’m glad you feel able to continue boating in one form or another and offer you my Best Wishes in whatever direction your journey takes you.

Take care.

David

• Like 3

Chris

although we've never met, yet!! Who knows,

you two were obviously a very strong couple together with your lovely boat.

remember all the good times, I'm sure there were very many,

i wish you every success and happiness in whatever you choose to do

:1311_thumbsup_tone2:

• Like 3