Agood Advert Of Total Stupidity On The Broads.

SPEEDTRIPLE

The mods could remove the thread? Trouble is, once one of us posts something, the discussion is up and running... All ST did was gave it a title... that could be edited to 'lovely, happy family enjoying Broads trip' of course, but the then the ensuing discussion would seem weird!

Face it, views differ and I thought that was OK here?

• Like 2

Broadsword,

Part of the reason for my comments are that if you copy and paste the URL and go directly to the YouTube site where the video is actually hosted, you will see that 7 people have made comments on the video. Not one negative. In fact one of our members (Captains Blog) viewed it and posted positively three years ago. Why does anyone want to take an 8 year old happy holiday video and hold it up to possible ridicule? I still cannot think of a motive for doing so. I could spend 2 mins on YouTube and find a lot, lot worse, and if I could be bothered to do that, would probably comment on YouTube, rather than link to someone else's video for ridicule here unknown to the video creator.

Its not just the original video owner who may spot this thread, but thousands of potential holiday makers / future forum members. Wonder how they might view us?

I'm all for taking care and reducing risks and indeed since about five years ago wear a life jacket every time I'm on deck. I make available life jackets for anyone on board, but ultimately (adults) it is their responsibility to choose to wear them. We all re-evaluate our own precautions we take on board and hopefully become safer as a result, but I'm not going to go trawling somewhere like You Tube for bad examples. It will be a very long list.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, keifsmate said:

OP is quiet, Was it a "Cat among the pigeons" type post?

No, OP is definitely NOT quiet, just been too busy to come on here and aswer to others.

It`s a bit annoying that people jump to conclusions, or put 2 & 2 together to make 73, In answer to those who have been a bit critical of the title of this thread, what NONE of you know is that i did type up some text, but unfortunatlely, i did something wrong when attaching the video, and the text got deleted somewhere. I did originally make a comment about how this video could be used on first time hirers handovers on what is safe and what is stupid, and as it happens, i did`nt have time last night to edit it, and have been too busy today, until now to say something. Still, now you`ve all made your comments, there`s no need to do so.

As far as "cat amongst pigeons", and "Villifying and insulting", fine, say what you like, but, all too often, some people on this forum are very quick to criticise and be "judgmental and villifying" when people go over the speed limit, go outside the posts on Breydon, or heaven forbid, NOT wearing a lifejacket.  Yet when i make a post with possibly a slightly overzealous title, which actually shows some of those very actions,  those SAME people want to bitch and moan about it.  I wonder how many on this forum would actually admit to being a bunch of HYPOCRITES.

One more thing, in recent months, i`ve noticed a fair number of people on this forum are all too keen to be judge and jury, and publically condemn those that see, do, or say things differently to them, most of the time without knowing all the facts, and to be brutally honest, it makes me question whether i really want to stay a regular contributor to this forum. 

Good Night all.

• Like 1

I'm all for free speech and the ability to discuss without fear of repercussion, but surely people can only respond to what has been posted, not what didn't appear and was deleted?

I do agree the title is unduly harsh, and I hope the family concerned never find this thread or reference to it.  I know if the shoe was on the other foot and it was my family, I would be mortified to find this.

I also agree there are examples of how things could be done better, such as life jackets, towing etc, but it is their family video (and a good, well produced one) on their lovely holiday, which they apparently enjoyed.  And I don't agree with anyone being lambasted for speeding, lifejackets, posts on Breydon etc on this or any other thread.  

It's just too public for my liking, and IN MY OPINION, "stupid" is a strong word.

• Like 4

Kfurbank, the reason people on a Broads forum may express such views is because they are (some of them, arguably?) better informed. The problem with this media driven world of ours is that once you make something public, you open yourself to comment, observation, criticism etc. This you tube poster wouldn't be the first to regret it (if they did).

I would be sad if someone felt upset over it, or decided never to visit the Broads again or any of the dire responses suggested here, but the solution is simple - remove the thread.

You may feel the OP shouldn't have titled the thread the way they did and clearly you are not alone in that view, but it seems you are more concerned about the anonymous poster of the video who may or may not ever know that it has been criticised, than for a fellow forumite who may have been misguided or overzealous on this occasion. I note that Speedtriple has an excellent community record. So, if I were a moderator (and I thank the Lord I'm not) I'd put this one to bed.

Personally I only see a couple of things wrong.

- The poor dog, I suspect he fell in and the props certainly not spinning from what I can see. All good chandlers (note Brian wards) offer liftjakets for pets so if it was wearing a jacket it would have been easier to recover.

- Riding in a dinghy without a lifejacket on. Life jackets are supplied when hiring a boat. They should be worn at all times whilst the boat the boat is in motion and whilst on deck. You probably shouldn't ride in a dinghy whilst being towed because it's a bit dangerous.

Stupid is a strong word, they look like they was having a good holiday. Perhaps they didn't think enough for their own safety.

Neil take a chill pill, people are just responding to your post in their own thoughts, nought wrong with that in my book.  Yes I'm a hypercrite depending on my mood as I'm sure you are. ;) 

Please don't forget that beside every post there is a "Report" link, if a post is offence to you or in someway damaging to the forum/broads etc please click it, this will help the mods gauge opinion.  As always I think the mods do an amazing job at allowing free speech and maintaining the friendly forum feel in here.

Good morning from me ;) 

• Like 4

i'm probably one of the worst when it comes to LJ's as I insist grandkids wear one even though they swim like fishes compared to me..... I think after mooring etc now why didnt I put on my LJ so easy to not wear one... When i first hired in the late 60's hire boats never had them!.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

One more thing, in recent months, i`ve noticed a fair number of people on this forum are all too keen to be judge and jury, and publically condemn those that see, do, or say things differently to them, most of the time without knowing all the facts, and to be brutally honest, it makes me question whether i really want to stay a regular contributor to this forum. 

Good Night all.

i`ve noticed a fair number of people on this forum are all too keen to be judge and jury

I've seen far, far worse elsewhere! 

With respect Speed, it was up to you to amend your post as we can only judge what is put before us. That said I do agree that a lot of people went over the top with their condemnations.

In the meantime I would hate to see you become an irregular contributor rather than the generally valued one that you are..

• Like 9

Speedtriple playing the role of "Shrinking violet" makes me laugh. In all  the time I've been a member he has never been shy to voice an opinion. If you raise a topic such as this I think you can expect a fair number of differing responses.

I for one have been gladdened by the balanced responses here and hope that in future people will think twice before  posting images of people with the intent to critise.

On a side note Broadscot: You will see that I have quoted you above this was from a previous post I compiled and did not submit. It appears the software keeps the abandoned posts and I couldn't find a way to delete the quote. I often compile replies and then decide not to post. I find this a very therauputic way of letting off steam without causing offence!!

:)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I would imagine that the problem is actually that of boarding and disembarking whilst under way.

It is indeed.

If the dinghy is tied tight on a short rope (not recommended) then the additional weight in the bow could tear the mooring ring out of the stem.

If it is on a longer rope, as it should be for towing, the sudden increase in weight forward changes the underwater shape so that it might well nose-dive and fill with water.

With a sailing dinghy, where perhaps the centreboard has been left down, the sudden weight forward might cause it to fishtail, and the person might be thrown out.

Yes, we have all done it as boys, but there should be no practical reason to get in a dinghy while making way, without stopping first.

Once again I thought long and hard before replying to this thread.

12 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Yet when i make a post with possibly a slightly overzealous title...

Yes, I rather think that nails it, a small error on your part, which has caused the reaction, but you then go on to say...

12 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

One more thing, in recent months, i`ve noticed a fair number of people on this forum are all too keen to be judge and jury, and publically condemn those that see, do, or say things differently to them

Do you not feel that the title of the thread has been seen to be indicative of that very trend?

I too value your contributions of which I reckon to agree or disagree in about equal measure. Sorry matey but I do not agree with your latest on this thread, This is not a teddy throwing issue! :)

4 hours ago, smellyloo said:

............On a side note Broadscot: You will see that I have quoted you above this was from a previous post I compiled and did not submit. It appears the software keeps the abandoned posts and I couldn't find a way to delete the quote. I often compile replies and then decide not to post..............

Yes, I also found that to be an unexpected side effect from the forum software now.

If you start to compile a reply to a post, (with or without a quote), and then decide not to post it, the forum software saves it in the background until you start to make another reply.

It can be a little disconcerting to see it already still lurking in the new reply window.

It's simple to remove though, you just delete any unwanted text as normal, and you can delete the "quote" box by just clicking the grey edge of it to select it, then press the delete key, and the grey box disappears.

5 hours ago, smellyloo said:

On a side note Broadscot: You will see that I have quoted you above this was from a previous post I compiled and did not submit. It appears the software keeps the abandoned posts and I couldn't find a way to delete the quote.

Hi Lou, if its any consolation too you, I had bother removing a box. On my tablet i put the cursor top left in the box and double click the delete arrow on the Tablet Keyboard. I have removed the blank for you.:)

cheersIain

1 minute ago, BroadScot said:

Hi Lou, if its any consolation too you, I had bother removing a box. On my tablet i put the cursor top left in the box and double click the delete arrow on the Tablet Keyboard. I have removed the blank for you.:)

cheersIain

Thanks Ian and Strowy .... It's just that as I get older I often find that after typing a reply the content ceases to be of importance so I abandon it.

Obviously the majority would think this applies to all my replies but you know wot ...... sometimes I just like making a noice.

:)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

If you would like to see an example of what I think it's fair to describe as total stupidity then have a gander at this!

Nicely produced video but cringeworthy antics.  

I would say antics for the camera, no doubt we were no different back in the day.  

1974 my first boating holiday me and 5 girls (Tan was one of them) so I was just the driver:naughty:

The young can make mistakes and can be rowdy at times, but that does not mean there is harm in them.

Also today's younger crews are the future of the Broads,

Regards

Alan

• Like 5

Anyway, that's tame compared to my hen Boat, we hung from bridges, mooned at passing Boats, jumped from boat to bank in heels, wore pink sparkly Stetsons, lit a BBQ on the gas locker and ran our engines at 6am..........ok, ok, we really did wear the pink sparkly hats and heels though :naughty:

Grace

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Anyway, that's tame compared to my hen Boat, we hung from bridges, mooned at passing Boats, jumped from boat to bank in heels, wore pink sparkly Stetsons, lit a BBQ on the gas locker and ran our engines at 6am..........ok, ok, we really did wear the pink sparkly hats and heels though :naughty:

Grace

That reads like a 10 points warning young Grace:naughty::norty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Grace

Now where did I put that piccy ...... O yeah ..... under my pillow

• Like 1