Agood Advert Of Total Stupidity On The Broads.

SPEEDTRIPLE

40 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Anyway, that's tame compared to my hen Boat, we hung from bridges, mooned at passing Boats, jumped from boat to bank in heels, wore pink sparkly Stetsons, lit a BBQ on the gas locker and ran our engines at 6am..........ok, ok, we really did wear the pink sparkly hats and heels though :naughty:

Grace

Where was king kong while all this was going on?????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smellyloo said:

.... It's just that as I get older I often find that after typing a reply the content ceases to be of importance so I abandon it.

Snap !

For me sometimes even just a few minutes reflection before replying takes my enthusiasm away........ :rolleyes:

That 'Asboat' video link - Look I know I shouldn't, but my rarely used military humour got the better of me and I did laugh, I sort of 'Enjoyed' the whole lot - yes some of it was cringeworthy, but it was still well put together.  Not the kind of behaviour we employ on our annual Lads Week I will add.

Griff

• Like 6

Re Asboat, Ok, the clambering on the bridge was a tad dodgy BUT...

No alcohol in evidence when under way, no visible speeding and no interfearing with other holiday makers. The only REALLY stupid thing I saw was the implied consumption of instant noodles.

Hells teeth, have we really become such a bunch of jobsworthy killjoys? I await with interest for someone to put something from youtube on here that shows some actual stupidity. How about that clip where the chap in the water trying to catch his runaway outboard powered inflatable, or those lads jumping from one moving boat to another.

We are less likely to put people off the broads but more off this forum if we carry on like this.

• Like 5

You can learn an awful lot from a Forum like ours, I know I have. Because I have been on boating holidays since a little girl I wrongly thought I knew everything, since becoming a member of the wonderful community that is our Forum, I've realised I don't know everything and that you can learn new things almost on a daily basis, anyone looking to join a Broads based Forum would be hard pressed to find one as brilliant and friendly as this one. I agree with MM, let's keep it that way

Speedtriples video shows a very nice family having a lovely time, dnks's video show a bunch of lads larking around (although I don't really want to see a man's bottom shoved in my face lol) and also having a blast. I have met some really fantastic all male groups on the Broads, one bunch of lads retrieved a plastic beach ball from the Broad at Salhouse when my little one kicked it straight in the water, got bought a round of ice creams from the ice cream boat at wroxham from a bunch of lads when we were on our hen party and had some fantastic banter with other stags and hens. Seen some appalling behaviour from families, like the time we saw a little girl hanging over the back of a boat while the parents were at the helm, only to be told to have sex and travel when we pulled along side to inform them.

Just trying to balance things up a bit, good and bad in all walks of life, in my experience, the good being much more prominent on a boating holiday, just enjoy your boating on the Broads, life is far too short not to

Grace

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Gracie said:

You can learn an awful lot from a Forum like ours, I know I have. Because I have been on boating holidays since a little girl I wrongly thought I knew everything, since becoming a member of the wonderful community that is our Forum, I've realised I don't know everything and that you can learn new things almost on a daily basis, anyone looking to join a Broads based Forum would be hard pressed to find one as brilliant and friendly as this one. I agree with MM, let's keep it that way

Speedtriples video shows a very nice family having a lovely time, dnks's video show a bunch of lads larking around (although I don't really want to see a man's bottom shoved in my face lol) and also having a blast. I have met some really fantastic all male groups on the Broads, one bunch of lads retrieved a plastic beach ball from the Broad at Salhouse when my little one kicked it straight in the water, got bought a round of ice creams from the ice cream boat at wroxham from a bunch of lads when we were on our hen party and had some fantastic banter with other stags and hens. Seen some appalling behaviour from families, like the time we saw a little girl hanging over the back of a boat while the parents were at the helm, only to be told to have sex and travel when we pulled along side to inform them.

Just trying to balance things up a bit, good and bad in all walks of life, in my experience, the good being much more prominent on a boating holiday, just enjoy your boating on the Broads, life is far too short not to

Grace

That sort of behaviour doesn't do much for the ozone layer either!

• Like 1

If they gave medals for doing stupid things, I'd win Gold every time, if they gave them for dangerous things, I might get Silver because I take calculated risk, most people they arn't going to do anything that knowingly puts their life at risk, when I think back to the things I did as a kid and the cotton wool kids are wrapped in today I should have been dead years ago, back then it was called having fun, something lacking with peoples lives these days, imagine today seeing kids climbing 60ft trees, they'd have the police, fire brigade, ambulance and helicopter there, remember swinging over the canal or pond full of old bikes and anything else dumped in them on dodgy rope, or making those lethal throwing arrows and trying to hit each other with them, and playing splits with Mums best carving knife, to name just a few, Nah! sorry folks people today don't know the meaning of dangerous, unless you count playing conkers with your gloves and goggles on,,

• Like 11

Someone quite famous once made the point that 'lifejackets are the end of adventure', and that was in relation to Swallows and Amazons! Don't know that I agree entirely but I do agree that today's 'cotton wool' culture is not always healthy. I one returned to an old school and noted that a mature oak had been cut down. As kids we used to climb up to the 'crow's nest', many feet up into the crown of that excellent old tree. When asked I received the inevitable response, need I tell you what? Apparently no child ever fell from that tree, and over the years probably thousands of young men climbed it.

• Like 2

I suppose attitudes to issues like life jackets, for humans or pets, depend on your experiences; I think my friends, whose lovely long-haired dachshund drowned at Potter Heigham last summer, would advise anyone who loves their dog to buy him a LJ.

He was in a place he knew well, with a crowd of people, but somehow, as dogs will, managed to slip away unnoticed and fall into the river. After much searching up and down the bungalows, thinking he had gone to ground somewhere, the poor old chap was found floating between a moored boat and the quay heading.

Bad enough to lose a dog... But a child...?  Two little boys drowned in a fish pond recently...

My kids NEVER moved around the boat when underway, without LJs - the eldest protested as he got older and liked to go shirtless, but we stuck to the rules and everyone got used to it. Even mudweighted, if they were moving around the decks or fishing, they kept them on.  It's grandchildren now and you can bet the rules will be the same!  Just like car seats and seatbelts, you get used to it...

Our dogs always wear them and on one occasion we were very glad they did, when the older one fell in from the bank without us noticing. A lot easier to hook her out with that on, than the boat hook to the collar in the video!

• Like 1

Positive story for the lads 

group of lads pulled up at the moorings last night .  As I went to bring the kids in , as they were shouting and running about and let's face it this can upset people. Just kidding it was tea time . One of the lads said to me we will be playing poker tonight if we are loud please give us a shout . My reply was enjoy you selfs your on holiday. We will he said,  but we will keep the  noise  down. Don't be silly if you not making noise your not enjoying yourself :shocked. Have fun . not all group of lads are bad two guns

• Like 7

it's amazing how standards, or perhaps more accurately perceptions and expectations have changed over the past twenty years or so. 

I remember as kids the greatest fun around was being towed around Oulton Broad on an inflated inner tube behind any boat we could beg, borrow or, well maybe not quite steal! OK, it is perhaps a few more than twenty years since we were kids, twice that in fact but the attitude then was much more "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" or in Ransome terms better drowned than duffers etc. Now we lambaste someone for the mortal sin of towing a passenger in a dinghy. 

Yes, it is dangerous, but would unsuspecting holidaymakers appreciate that? I can tell you now I have done worse over the years, and if I asked everyone here if they had too, I doubt I would be in the minority. 

• Like 13