Spring?

Poppy

My Family always used to quote this to me when I complained about being chilly in March and April.  Perhaps there is something in it after all.

Ne'er cast a clout till May be out

It has certainly been a day of changes.  From inside it looks really nice at the moment.  Won't be venturing out though as it has quite a strong wind factor!

We have got some lovely blossom on the family pear and plum.  Hope the cold nights don't cause a problem, all being well it will be the first year of the plum which is an eater with good reviews.

We don't get too many pears as Rosie does a good of scrumping them, we often see her eyeing up the lower fruits and she brings in the windfalls.  Generally all that is left is the stem.

• Like 1

Back in December /January they were talking about an early spring with Daffs out everywhere well it wasn't everywhere mine (many hundred  of different varieties) only came out a  couple of weeks ago!! But I think it has been the longest spring I've ever known.

Having seen the forecast for my area the next two days, the centeal heating is going to be going full blast ! One of the discount stores in Irvine are offering trampolines for the garden! Don't they realise its still high sleigh season! :naughty:

cheersIain

We had frost on house roofs this morning, and temp was down to 2c. The thing is, i seem to remember back in the mid 70s, this was quite normal. I remember back in 75, it was snowing on bank holiday monday in early May, yet 4 weeks later, i was riding my very first bike in a "T" shirt (would NEVER do it now), and that was early June. We`re off to Lincs on Saturday for a weeks holiday, i hope this weather warms up by then, but i`m not holding my breath.

On 26/04/2016 at 6:45 PM, SueH said:

My Family always used to quote this to me when I complained about being chilly in March and April.  Perhaps there is something in it after all.

Ne'er cast a clout till May be out

It has certainly been a day of changes.  From inside it looks really nice at the moment.  Won't be venturing out though as it has quite a strong wind factor!

We have got some lovely blossom on the family pear and plum.  Hope the cold nights don't cause a problem, all being well it will be the first year of the plum which is an eater with good reviews.

We don't get too many pears as Rosie does a good of scrumping them, we often see her eyeing up the lower fruits and she brings in the windfalls.  Generally all that is left is the stem.

I believe it refers to "May" as in the blossom of the "Haw" or Blackthorn. Etc

• Like 1

9 hours ago, deebee29 said:

We are currently at Loddon,  I always wondered what it would be like boating in winter......... NOW I KNOW.........but I still love it........ Mind you the hail in the face yesterday when at the upper helm is something else.

Aye Dave, you may not get a suntan, but weather beaten is a certainty! :naughty: Enjoy your "winter"cruise....oops sorry Spring!

cheersIain

Much better day yesterday, the trip down the Chet was really pleasant in the what's it called? Oh yes sunshine. It was nice to be able to cruise without a heavy coat.

the wind picked up again later in the day though and has been windy all night

I'd still rather be here than working

we were in Brundall around the same time as you John, pity we hadn't realised we could have said hello

• Like 3