New Broads Video

rightsaidfred

Quite agree I am the last one to claim I never get anything wrong just the opposite, as I said I don't know the facts just what I heard and that was that  after 3 or 4 attempts he moved off with numerous cameras on the boat presumably making a video. if anyone knows better I would be pleased to hear  the real story or if Robin choses to show it see the video.

Fred

Just catching up with things here...

Having sailed from Barton Broad to Gays Staithe, then walked to the Board Walk and viewing platform overlooking Barton Broad, we decided to head off somewhere...Perhaps to Coltishall but I was not too sure actually and by the time we reached Ranworth Dam we thought it would be an idea to have a look at Malthouse Broad so we did - and on the way two boats overtook us and both nabbed moorings while we dropped the mudweight and Shiela set up her tripod and camera for a timelapse of the Broad.

Although their were cameras on the boat none were recording - this explains the issues, because when I have cameras recording it is a 'one take' affair, so I am very much fully concentrating and confident to do what I need to do, for the take than anything else. Usually my heart is beating fast and adrenaline helping things along too.

If you notice in my videos, it is not usual that I cut to a segment of me mooring, but more extended trip to the mooring then the mooring itself, thus to try again would mean going all the way back several minutes and turning so the continuity works out - that's why its a one take shot or not at all type thing.

Anyway...

Shiela and I agreed that if anyone left in the next half hour we would see if we could moor and go to the pub, if they did not we would head away ourselves somewhere - well a hire boat did leave and and we duly pulled up the mud weight and went over to moor - only the gap looked about the width of Broad Ambition - there was a steady cross wind blowing too.

I came around to moor and duly over cooked things and the wind did the rest - off we went and without bow thrusters to 'save the day' if I carried on with things we surly would have ended up nudging another boat so I opted to go for second attempt.

Attempt number two and I was this time taking things too gingerly which of course left the wind to have the upper hand and I did not want to go drifting sideways into someones bow so the fact now several people have done the 'Meerkat' stand up and look added a whole heap of new pressure so attempt three had to be nailed perfectly or I would bow out with honor - I bowed out and we left Malthouse Broad..

A drink in the pub was not that important - we then went down to the Lion Inn off the Thurne instead where I turned the boat around at the end of the dyke before it was too busy - glad I did for Sunday was grey and more blustery as we departed facing the right way made our exit from the narrow dyke that bit easier.

• Like 11

so attempt three had to be nailed perfectly or I would bow out with honor - I bowed out and we left Malthouse Broad..

And that decision Robin was imho the correct one to make.  A good skipper/helm is someone that avoids getting into a situation where they have to prove how good they are, which is exactly what you did with your decision to bow out with your pride in tact and no contact between 'B.A' or other craft - Well done.

And we all know (Well most of us NBN forumites anyroadup) that if ever a boat handling manoeuvre doesn't go to plan first time of asking - there will always be an audience to witness it.  Whereas a more difficult manoeuvre with no audience present is often executed first time of asking.

Personally - I never get any boat helming manoeuvres wrong - Unless we are underway, not secured to terra firma and I'm on the helm of course :blush:

Griff

• Like 6

No one ever sees when you make the perfect manoeuvre but you can guarantee an audience when things don't quite go to plan.

You made a good decision Robin but you shouldn't have to explain your actions on here ...... It is you're holiday after all.

• Like 4

Dave is spot on there, no need to explain, I am sure we have all messed up because of conditions on occasion, except, it would seem, for Griff and me :naughty:. Seriously, been there, done that and got the shirt, it's because Broad Ambition is such a legendary Boat and our Rascal is so well known for his wonderful blogs that he is noticed so much, the trappings of fame, eh?

I most definitely did not have a chuckle at the big blue bow fender incident, I really didn't :liar

Grace

• Like 5

4 hours ago, deebee29 said:

You made a good decision Robin but you shouldn't have to explain your actions on here ...... It is you're holiday after all.

I agree to a point - but you can't have it both ways and make videos people eagerly want to watch, then cruise about in a well known and eye catching boat and not have people draw some opinion about your moorings - good or bad so I accept people will look on and people will come and have a chat...

Shiela too is a star - fenders down, ropes ready and just knows what to do - which is nice to have that team work going on. She also will go over a plan with me such as in Potter Heigham, the wind had got up Sunday pushing us on the bank - we were at the Quite Moorings.  Thing is we had to turn the boat and go back down the Thurne, having seen a hire boat try to do the same and it all go very wrong I wanted ours to go right - even if the couple in the small Hampton might have wondered 'what is going on' as I backed away from the quay and began executing the turn - sometimes the wind can be your friend and help blow the bow round in the direction you want it to go in and it did and a three point turn completed we were heading towards the Thurne Regatta (oh joy) once again.

If I may use this thread to also say how nice the family were on Broadland Mars - their first hire, having only taken over the boat on Friday and now making their way down a narrow and rather full Thurne Dyke.  They were doing all the typical newbie things, too much throttle and expecting the boat to steer like a car.  But they had a mooring drill worked out - crew at the bow and stern ropes in hand and a few words from me on the bank had them alongside and I went on board and showed them how to tie some knots and use the throttle lightly and concept of the stern steering not the bow and so on.

They were really thankful and said how nervous they had been but understood things now - bit like one of those puzzle pictures, means nothing then you get it and you wonder how on earth you failed to see it the first time.

They had a dinghy - that got used - kids all in life jackets (dogs too) and come morning had everyone out on deck and slowly reversed down the dyke ready to fend off.  Just made me happy and suspect the children will go back home with great memories and one day will want to come back to rekindle these when older themselves.

• Like 7

The original criticizer's  rather provocative choice of words, "an individual who likes to talk a lot" may have been more motivated by the fact that it came from somewhere that you no longer post on.

You certainly do post a lot, which significantly adds to the worthwhile content on here.

What an interesting day...

Over here, on our nice sandy island with Palm trees, sunshine and warm blue waters we have a bar - its large, and round  and serves great, cool cocktails. The patrons all get along, share a few stories and have a laugh together (that is how I imagine the NBN)

However there is another place the, urm NB? - I am not sure of the the last letter as it seems to have fallen off the pubs facade, but is in an area which seems as joyful as Blackpool on a January afternoon, in the rain while eating soggy chips.

Our island's bar has talked about the above (I will refer to this now as 'Stern Moor Gate') with humour and and good intentions, and once the laughs had died down and I had chance to explain what happened, we all thought that was a wise move and with some nods of approval being proffered from across the bar, and now we have moved on to order another Pina Colada while Charlie regales one of his old Navy jokes and Gracie has got some kind of dance going on, the Conga I believe it is called.

Over in 'Blackpool' things have turned rather nasty, the old boozer just has not got that 'happy vibe'.  I did pop in for pint of Mild and defended myself and Stern Moor Gate - I waited for anyone to say anything to me, but seems most were only able to say anything from behind their tables, so I left the place once more and am pleased to be back here. Now where did I leave my cocktail...

• Like 11

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

Charlie regales one of his old Navy jokes and Gracie has got some kind of dance going on, the Conga I believe it is called.

Nah Robin,:norty: Gracie has been perfecting the Paso doble in high heels,:party2: I believe its a new event at this years Olympic Gymnastics! As for Charlie, he will circumvent the high horse but not in high heels ! :naughty: 

Having frequented B'pool on many occasions including playing cricket at Stanley Park, you have to be congratulated in finding a decent drinking pub in said town! :clap

cheersIain

1 hour ago, BroadScot said:

Having frequented B'pool on many occasions including playing cricket at Stanley Park, you have to be congratulated in finding a decent drinking pub in said town! :clap

cheersIain

Try the (Flying) Handbag. Crap beer but the people watching is unbelievable! :shocked

Just to prove the sun does shine in that remarkabley wonderful exotic place, this is what it was like every day of the Bank Holiday, sorry about the tram, couldn't resist.

Fred

Untitled 7.jpg

• Like 3

I'll say once again, what I have said in t'other place, I am no fan of one forum criticising another... A poor sport really.  No offence intended Robin - and you were fairly tongue in cheek about it mate.  I happily post in both and care not a jot what anyone thinks of that.

I don't think you needed to defend yourself - personally, I think it might have been better not to rise, but I'm no-one to lecture you on that score! I have, as you will have noticed, questioned, if not criticised the tone of the OP in the NDF thread.

Keep making the blogs Robin - you do a great job and you're a nice bloke... No-one here and virtually no-one there IMHO takes the rather cynical view expressed in that particular OP.

• Like 3