Sunken Sail Boat On Barton Broad

HemsbyPie

Taken from official page:

Wednesday 20th July 2016

HEMSBY BROADS LIFEBOAT - callout

Paged by Humber Coastguard at 19:31hrs to reports of a sunken sail boat on Barton Broad.

On arrival at scene it was confirmed by other boat users that the crew from the stricken craft had abandoned ship earlier and got ashore safely. A position fix was recorded and passed on to Humber Coastguard who in turn contacted the Broads Authority to put marker buoys in place with a planned recovery for the morning. 
On our return to Sutton Staithe we came across a small sailing boat with one person on board having difficulty ‘Making way’, so we offered him a tow back to Sutton due to the onset of darkness.

Also in attendance: Winterton Coastguard Teams

Hemsby Broads Lifeboat returned to station and were back on service at 22:30hrs

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

The Lifeboat crew need to keep an Eye out on NBN!! It was reported Here, 17 hours ago according to this site... i.e. before their call out!! ( no I am not critising them for responding!!)

I hope somebody doesn't call them out every time we have someone capsize during a sailing event!!

• Like 1

Do the coastguard check with broads control before sending resources out at all for inland sinkings? Surely the crew of the sunken boat are required to notify broads control so this sort of thing doesn't happen tying up resources when someone else may need them.

I've lost stuff overboard at sea before when it's been too lumpy to attempt recovery and the first thing I did was call it into the CG with full coordinates and description so the next boat along didn't see dinghy bits and trigger an all out search costing thousands.

And again this is not a criticism of the rescue services at all but maybe the crew/BA is another matter.

17 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Well done.    Where is the BA boat with all its bells and whistles?       You seem to draw the short straw every time now , what are they doing on SOB , sipping cocktails?

Trying to work out how to get SOB under Ludham bridge....

The BA were aware of what had happened however Coastguard were not.

A call was then made by the public to CG and they acted; if CG get a call for a sunken vessel they don't have time to call other agencies, they have to press the button (especially out of hours as this was)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Oh so SOB is just for Breydon and down South then.      The BA chaps may not be an emergency service but I have always felt they were our first port of call if in a pickle.     Is that who is at the end of Broads control?

If in a pickle and they are in the area then yes.

However id say sinking your boat is more than a pickle. If your boat is going down then realistically you need to be thinking Coastguard rather than the BA...

• Like 2

River cruiser class 20 Is Nyanza  and looking at her picture here.

http://rivercruiser.org/index.php/yachts-for-sale?sail_no=20

Her gaff is much more inclined than the boat in the sinking  so I think that confirms its Orange Tip.

its quite easy to sink a white boat, Hold the main too long, or it jam it. while close hauled and you'd definately get water over the side.

Also I was told, that,  Famously the Late George Southgate managed to sink his White boat sailing down wind by just having such a huge amount of wind from behind he sailed the bows under water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HemsbyPie said:

And not forgetting that the BA are not an emergency service... 

You don't see the highways agency dealing with RTAs...

I understand, with some certainty although I could be proved wrong, that the SOB is an officially declared rescue facility, that was one of the justifications for both her creation and her high cost.

Well that caused a bit of panic and a quick phone call!

A family member is currently holidaying on the northern network in his cruiser and has taken his half decker (Waveney OD) with him. It also carries sail number 20 and Barton is one of his destinations...

Waveney no. 20 is still afloat and currently on Salhouse. Of course, Waveney's have red numbers and a W on their sail, but for a brief minute.... 

Re the SOB

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-21783000

Apparently she is able to respond to calls from the Coastguard, the BA says so!

I quote: 'The authority's standard river launches are not fast enough to respond to emergency calls from the coastguard' so presumably the SOB is!

However it is up to the CG to call out the most suitable response service or vessel.

14 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Re the SOB

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-21783000

Apparently she is able to respond to calls from the Coastguard, the BA says so!

However it is up to the CG to call out the most suitable response service or vessel.

I don't think it comes down to the speed of your boat and I'm fairly sure the BA are not a declared facility with the Coastguard .

To my understanding, the BA's main remit on the Broads is wildlife conservation, promotion and maintenance of navigation (which includes tolls/speeding etc). 

Of course they will help if they are in the  area, but it's unrealistic to expect them to hot-foot 20ish(?) miles from Breydon to Barton (pole bolting over 2 bridges enroute.

• Like 1

Oh don't worry Hemsby Pie - they all think that SOB should respond to everything from picking up a dropped icecream to full salvage!!

If it is an open half decker, I dont think Maffetts will be needed - just a pump and a lunatic with a bucket!!! They probably just caught the mainsheet on a channel marker and that would normally be enough to slip her under 

Excuse me for being a bit dense...but...What does Spirit of Breydon actually 'do'? I've seen the odd photo of some beardy bloke in a bush hat posing for photo's with her but other than that 'diddly squat'.

• Like 5