Uninvited Friends

BrundallNavy

What a shame, it looks like the cabin side was made out of one piece, I doubt they will replace the whole section, they just might splice  a new piece in. As Chris says, check for  other damage, it looks like the rubbing strake has taken a big hit too.

Since you are close to the water tank, I would be checking for leaks too, it might have moved the tank slightly.

How many of the current boatyards can do this type of work still, especially when varnished. I guess Griff might advise on the capabilites of various yards. 

Also check the other side of the boat for compression damage and scuffs too.

I guess Griff might advise on the capabilities of various yards.

Two points here - Doug is more than capable of doing this himself let alone getting a yard to do it, maybe the insurance / yard of the offending boat will pay him to do it, also Doug will know just as much about yards reputations as I do if not more so.  We have to date not used any yards for work without us being there and doing the majority of it ourselves with the yard assisting us and when I ask for help.  LBBy is our present and historical choice.  I'm hearing good things about the Yard in Horning next to the Ferry Inn too

It's a helluva job though if it is do be done properly and not just patched up, the repair to my mind should be invisible when completed, it was perfect before the damage and should be perfect afterwards too of course.  A five minute fix it most definitely ain't

Griff

• Like 1

Terrible  news, would suggest you go through the insurance and not allow a plastic yard to touch it.

Going through insurance will give you some recourse for anything not foreseen. 

Can only hope it all goes well.

I bet you were not so sostoic when it happened and maybe said a naughty word, or alphabet.

paul

• Like 2

Please tell me that the offending skipper / crew were apologetic and cooperated fully, did the BA staff help too?  I take it you have been in touch with the hire yard of the craft involved.  With that many witnesses / location of the incident you should not have any problems there.  The Yards insurance company are going to be so pleased to hear from you especially when they see the pictures and even more so when they learn Nippers Skipper/Crew know what they are dealing with and maintain high standards.

Griff

The damage pictured is severe and a prime example of the damage a boat in inexperienced hands can do to some one elses pride and joy, it must have felt gut wrenching when it happened. 

As others have said, if it was in a perfect state of repair beforehand then in my mind thats how it should be once more, no patches or make do bodges, make sure whoever is responsible for paying for it (insurance or hire yard) pays through the nose for it to be done properly. 

Accidents are accidents but what I would be most anoid about is the innapropriate use of throttle which if im reading correctly has only made this worse.  Theres nothing worse than someone trying to rectify a mistake with another huge mistake. 

When will people learn, if collision is immenant cut the bloody power.

I hope its all sorted out for you soon but I do fear it may well turn out to be much worse than even the picture shows. 

• Like 1

I hope its all sorted out for you soon but I do fear it may well turn out to be much worse than even the picture shows.

IMHO - knowing how these cabins sides are constructed fastened in place etc, not to mention getting the whole cabin side looking the same as before - It already is

Griff

Ultimately Doug is the only person to do the repair on Nipper. Just as Griff would be if it was BA sat there. Once the value of the repair is established it should be fairly straight forward to negotiate with the loss adjuster to agree appropriate recompense.

Yes the cabin side was in one piece originally but a proper repair will be just as good structurally. Matching it is a whole new ball game. You can see the colour difference between the surface of the mahogany where the years of sun have bleached the wood and the exposed grain within the damage. That repair may show for a while I suspect. 

Just how Doug hasn't murdered someone today is amazing. Not sure whether I would not make the news in a similar situation...

• Like 1

If the offending boat had a mudweight on a bow roller extending over the bow then I assume that it was a private boat. One of the Rangers told me that that in itself is an offence, not least because of the risks to other folk's health.

As far as the damage is concerned I think that there is a case for demanding a complete replacement of the cabin side but where would that end, frightening thought? Whatever, I would insist on choosing who does the repair and that the whole cabin is refinished so as to have as near a match as possible.

Thanks for your kind words, I'm still boiling inside but cannot undue the damage.

it was a hire boat from a well know yard but don't want to mention any names until I have spoken to someone in authority as the reply I got today was the office is closed call back tomorrow. I am more than capable of doing the repair but it's having the time and place to due it.

The hire boat had already made two attempts to moor up and hit another boat before he went down towards the bridge to turn round, he then went past the empty spot before trying to reverse in only to find his bow taken round by the tide, he had not much of an option as to wait for me to pass he would have still hit me but by applying full power it pinned me against the steel pilling. The mud weight did hang over the front on a bow roller which is now badly damaged.

We do have a witness and the BA staff were fantastic but no apologies.

We have also found Nipper's Nipper now has a hole where it looks like a bolt head from the pilling has punched through.

A great start to our week down south but got to try and not let it get me down.

Doug.

The real problem with that Peter is that the current 'mahogany' is nowhere near as good a quality as the original used when Nipper was built. Todays offerings are pink, lightweight and softer when compared to the real stuff. I would be looking for a decent piece out of a scrap boats transom or similar to make a good repair with rather than replacing the whole side with what may well be an inferior board.