Uninvited Friends

BrundallNavy

4 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

Don't you just hate it when uninvited guest try to drop in.

image.jpeg

Just three questions Doug

1. Is everyone in Nipper's Crew OK? Hele, Mum, Maddy and t'other one?
  2. You do know that if you need a hand with anything just yell? The bag is packed.
  3. Have you run out of swear words yet? If so I can cuss in two modern languages and three ancient and will happily write a list out.
  • Like 2

Firstly, ref availability of suitable mahogany, there are more than a few to choose from, just a case of finding the right one! A chat with Steve at South Rivers Marine at St Olaves might be worthwhile.

http://www.mahoganyoutlet.com/wood

That the offending boat was a hire one then I would also talk to the BA. If it is an offence, as was suggested to me by a Ranger, then I'm sure that they would be interested. A few years ago a man was, apparently, injured when rowing a boat at Oulton Broad YS and he was hit on the head by a dangling mud weight.

I'm actually quite surprised that any hire-yard should chose to have something like a mudweight on a bow roller stuck out from the stemhead, it's asking for trouble, indeed I think it quite irresponsible.

Many of the newer boats have their ground tackle on chain to winch so they have to hang. Bigger boats need bigger ground tackle so too heavy to handle safely. Some of the sports boat decks slope so much they are not safe to manually handle a mud weight. You can't blame a mud weight for incompetence any more than you can blame a bowsprit for the damage they cause. An acquaintance had his screen completely smashed causing £1200 of damage by a boom when moored in Fleet Dyke. The secret is not coming into contact in the first place. However given the high number of "first timers" present on these waterways at this time of year the risk of contact is very high. A bigger boat moving slowly will always have the capacity to really damage a smaller lighter one. I have often seen weights completely unsecured on a foredeck with the line only secured at the far end, in an abrupt halt or collision that is going to take off like a cannon ball.

• Like 3

Doug I am so sorry to hear  about this "accident" as you say not the best start to your holiday. Here by the grace of god go we all.

Talking about mahogany I am guessing she was built from Honduras mahogany, like hens teeth but you do hear of it popping up occasionally. Another good source is local auctions where what they nowadays call brown furniture is sold, good old mahogany tables and the like.

See you later in the week Doug ?  

Relieved everyone is OK Doug and as you know I can deeply sympathise with the emotion having had a similar event happen to RT.

Incidentally without Doug's skill, help, support, advice and encouragement RT wouldn't be as far on as she is...and I wouldn't be happily making sawdust learning woodwork.

Here is the link for Finney's stains and finishes Doug http://www.finneyswoodfinishes.co.uk/ . Send the guy a small sample of the timber you are trying to match and he will do his level best to help produce a stain to match. Incidentally he has a product for use on interior wood on boats which dries quickly and gives a tough level coat. He designed it for interiors on canal barges. There's a sample of it and some of his rosewood stain in RT's stern well.BTW for woodworkers out there I can highly recommend the Finpol Special Polish, excellent clear shellac concoction really easy to apply and gives quite a tough but beautiful finish (not for exterior use though).

Honduran mahogany? Timberline in Kent according to a local chap I know restoring a 1966 Riva boat here in Lincs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Many of the newer boats have their ground tackle on chain to winch so they have to hang. Bigger boats need bigger ground tackle so too heavy to handle safely. Some of the sports boat decks slope so much they are not safe to manually handle a mud weight. You can't blame a mud weight for incompetence any more than you can blame a bowsprit for the damage they cause. An acquaintance had his screen completely smashed causing £1200 of damage by a boom when moored in Fleet Dyke. The secret is not coming into contact in the first place. However given the high number of "first timers" present on these waterways at this time of year the risk of contact is very high. A bigger boat moving slowly will always have the capacity to really damage a smaller lighter one. I have often seen weights completely unsecured on a foredeck with the line only secured at the far end, in an abrupt halt or collision that is going to take off like a cannon ball.

A number of boats have a hawse pipe and housing for anchor or mudweight moulded within the stem but beneath the stem head. It's often that elaborate paraphernalia hung on the stemhead that does the damage and not just to the boat on the receiving end. A four and a half tonner, apparently at no great speed, hit the harbour wall in Lowestoft the other day, the self stowing anchor and bow roller was forced back, lifting the king-plank that in turn has distorted the decking over the forepeak. First estimates suggest a minimum of £1.5k.

Could I make a couple of points?

It is vital that you contact the boatyard immediately, by e-mail or phone (or both) to report the accident. This way they can catch their hirer when they bring the boat back, and obtain a written accident report from the skipper, to pass to their insurers. This tends to be rather more difficult if the hirers have already gone home as they may then try to deny it.

If you have independent witnesses, get written statements.

Remember that your claim will be with your insurers and they will then claim from the third party, so you must register your claim with them at once.

Don't make any repairs (except keeping the rain out) until your insurers have had the boat surveyed by their expert. Meantime a quote for the repairs will help but the insurers may require more than one.

Hire yards are well used to these claims and are well insured, so they will not resist you, but the vital thing is that there must be a written statement, from the skipper of the boat, admitting the blame.

As to the repair, if she were my boat (which is easy to say from a distance) I would have it done as it would have been when she was a hire boat, which would be a suitable piece of mahogany "let in" to the cabin side by a boatbuilder, to make the repair. Even then, it will be a big piece. I then think that you should insist that your insurers pay for both sides of the cabin to be scraped off to the bare wood and re-varnished, to match the colour. You can't just do this with stain, as the different woods will not bleach at the same rate in the sun.

This is just the same as a car, having been in an accident, needing to be re-sprayed to match.

So you may end up returning to the lovely deep red colour of those beautiful cabin sides, and all paid for by insurance!

Meantime it is very sad to see this happen to such a beautifully preserved and maintained boat and you have my deepest sympathy.

• Like 6

After all the time and effort, just recently Doug had put into Nipper and posted to the Forum of the progress, all that sanding and varnish and and pristine result at the end, this must come a great emotional blow both in terms of upset at what has been caused and the worry about putting the damage right.

This is going to take some time and skill to put right – and I can only pass on my thoughts and hope all does, even if takes time, get put right as it should be and not turn into a bigger issue. 

I know accidents can happen, and it clearly is not the best of places to try and moor at Yarmouth Yacht Station but what can you do? Just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time which makes it no easier to swallow but know you’ve got a bunch of people behind you here – even if it might only be some moral support it can be sorted and will be sorted and one day will just be a memory of ‘that day’.

• Like 5

On 8/14/2016 at 5:36 PM, brundallNavy said:

Don't you just hate it when uninvited guest try to drop in.

image.jpeg

Hi Doug,

That repair is going to be difficult to match in because of the bleaching to the surface of the Mahogany, the repair will also have to take into account that diagonal split in the timber which may involve a wider section to be made, not ideal at all and may end up being a larger section than you envisioned.

Regards

Alan

I think sometimes the lack of appology is not a deliberate act of whatever could not care, bad manners etc.

We all in this litigation world have it drummed into us when driving " Never admit liability, Never say sorry" Sorry is taken as an admission of guilt and Insurance Companies don't like the word.

That is the world in which we live I am afraid.

• Like 2

Well after much deliberation I have worked out how to repair Nipper's cabin side and keep the colour.  I have found a company in Norwich that can do a vinyl wrap in any colour so if I send them a photo of the cabin side they will produce a wrap to match, it comes in two finishes semi or full gloss so if I go for full gloss I can hang up my varnish brushes for good.  I just need to nail a bit of plywood in the whole and its job done.

Doug.

1 hour ago, brundallNavy said:

Well after much deliberation I have worked out how to repair Nipper's cabin side and keep the colour.  I have found a company in Norwich that can do a vinyl wrap in any colour so if I send them a photo of the cabin side they will produce a wrap to match, it comes in two finishes semi or full gloss so if I go for full gloss I can hang up my varnish brushes for good.  I just need to nail a bit of plywood in the whole and its job done.

Doug.

Wa-hey! You could go the whole hog and have the boat done as per the Jolly Ritchie, down to gun-ports along the hull so you can blow uninvited friends to smithereens in true Norfolk style 

• Like 3

Just a question, I have not heard of wrap being used on wood. Was your finish impervious? Could in direct sun the wood sweat even through epoxy and bubble a wrap. Or are you having a laugh?

• 1 month later...

Finally had some good news, the hire yard insurance company has agreed a cash settlement, I struggled to get someone who was able to carry out the repair this side of Christmas at a reasonable price so along with a boatbuilding friend of mine we came up with a figure we thought about right and they agreed without hesitation.

i have already repaired the window hopper and replaced the glass made some new toerails so we can now repair the cabin side with some old Mahogany donated by a fellow Formurite.

i also have a chance to try out my new toys that are masquerading as a coffee table at present.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, brundallNavy said:

Finally had some good news, the hire yard insurance company has agreed a cash settlement, I struggled to get someone who was able to carry out the repair this side of Christmas at a reasonable price so along with a boatbuilding friend of mine we came up with a figure we thought about right and they agreed without hesitation.

i have already repaired the window hopper and replaced the glass made some new toerails so we can now repair the cabin side with some old Mahogany donated by a fellow Formurite.

i also have a chance to try out my new toys that are masquerading as a coffee table at present.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Festool Doug? You won the lottery?

• Like 1