The Lord Nelson

Wussername

News on the street is that The Lord Nelson at Reedham will open this Friday.
But don't blame me if it doesn't.

A quantity of beer was delivered yesterday.

The outside of the premises has been sympathetically restored to its former glory and looks quite magnificent. A credit to all concerned  and a very welcome contribution to the riverside at Reedham, which has in the past looked a bit tired and neglected.
There is great expectation that good food and beer will provided, no reason to think otherwise as the landlord has considerable experience.
Once again we will see on the southern rivers innovation, dedication and commitment which can only attract the discerning visitor be it private or hirer.

Watch out the North I say!

Andrew

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Wussername said:

News on the street is that The Lord Nelson at Reedham will open this Friday.
But don't blame me if it doesn't.

A quantity of beer was delivered yesterday.

The outside of the premises has been sympathetically restored to its former glory and looks quite magnificent. A credit to all concerned  and a very welcome contribution to the riverside at Reedham, which has in the past looked a bit tired and neglected.
There is great expectation that good food and beer will provided, no reason to think otherwise as the landlord has considerable experience.
Once again we will see on the southern rivers innovation, dedication and commitment which can only attract the discerning visitor be it private or hirer.

Watch out the North I say!

Andrew

Sshhh! don't tell everybody or we'll be crowded out.

Regards,

Carole

• Like 1

I believe Green King will be the main source of beer, but Humpty Dumpty will also feature.

Don't forget that the Ship has had a major interior makeover, and always has a Humpty Dumpty and a guest beer to supplement the Adnams.

There are those of us in Reedham who dedicate ourselves to supporting as many local pubs as we can, but it's really hard work, and we need all the help we can get.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, quackers said:

I believe Green King will be the main source of beer, but Humpty Dumpty will also feature.

Don't forget that the Ship has had a major interior makeover, and always has a Humpty Dumpty and a guest beer to supplement the Adnams.

There are those of us in Reedham who dedicate ourselves to supporting as many local pubs as we can, but it's really hard work, and we need all the help we can get.

Oh dear....

• Like 1

Greene King IPA, when in good condition isn't a bad beer, but when not on top form, it is pretty rubbish. Abbot is a little more forgiving as stronger beers usually are, though like Fullers London Pride (one of my favourites) it can suffer when there's a substantial change in barometric pressure. Sadly whenb CAMRA clamped down on 'top pressure' the more vulnerable beers suffered. Here's hoping that Nelson has a good cellarman.

15 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Greene King IPA, when in good condition isn't a bad beer, but when not on top form, it is pretty rubbish. Abbot is a little more forgiving as stronger beers usually are, though like Fullers London Pride (one of my favourites) it can suffer when there's a substantial change in barometric pressure. Sadly whenb CAMRA clamped down on 'top pressure' the more vulnerable beers suffered. Here's hoping that Nelson has a good cellarman.

. . . and thus speaks a true connoisseur (or is it p**s artist?). :twisted:

• Like 2

I am no expert but beers brewed in say Burton on Trent had a unique flavour because the water used was from a huge artesian well lying beneath the town. Each brewery used its own local water supply thus giving its beer its own unique flavour. When Watney Mann bought Ruddles the production was moved to Norwich. I confronted the head brewer about this, his reply was we can replicate the water chemically. Yeeeees. So there you have the arrogance of the large brewery company.

• Like 1

Norwich water was perfectly good, Steward & Patterson, Morgans and Bullards all produced good ales, well, apart from Bullards infamous wind inducing mild. So what happened to Steward & Patterson? They were bought out by Watney Mann and we had Red Barrel inflicted upon us. Watneys couldn't replicate a foreign water let alone a good local ale to save their lives! Without Watneys we might not have had CAMRA!

• Like 2

On 16 August 2016 at 9:29 AM, BroadScot said:

I can see it now, back to the 80's double moored along the whole quay ! Let the chaos begin:naughty:

cheersIain

I think as the river is quite wide that they should allow stern mooring on the whole section, if the tide is on the ebb, and they start the reversing proceedure by the chain ferry, they might be in the right position by the time they get to Reedham Quay lol. Or they might just go through Reedham swing bridge sidways lol.

Imagine that, the hire companies would soon change their non refundable damage waiver, to a high refundable ( if any is left) deposit lol

Good luck with the pub, difficult times for pubs, hope to get in there one day, or more of course.

Sorry to spoil this virtual beer festival, but I have been told that tomorrow's much anticipated re-opening of the Lord Nelson may well now not take place.

This is  second hand, but from probably the most dedicated local pub supporter in Reedham, who generally has the inside track on such matters  I would suggest that anybody planning a trip from any distance should check before setting off.

Bill Saunders 

15 hours ago, BroadScot said:

It is a while ago, but does explain while Ruddles County tasted like dishwater !

Easy Iain. Back in the late 70's early 80's Ruddles County and Abbot Ale were staples with my mates and I. I recall it being very good then. Not seen County in many a year and Abbot doesn't seem to be the beer it used to be.

Still, just means I have to keep trying even more different beers until I find the ones I like!!cheersbar HIC'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baitrunner said:

Easy Iain. Back in the late 70's early 80's Ruddles County and Abbot Ale were staples with my mates and I. I recall it being very good then. Not seen County in many a year and Abbot doesn't seem to be the beer it used to be.

Still, just means I have to keep trying even more different beers until I find the ones I like!!cheersbar HIC'

I had the pleasure of being the first to sample Adnams Broadside at The Dog at Ludham many decades ago. A most enjoyable lunch hour, and an even better siesta in the afternoon ! Hic !:naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

Maybe one for BIll (Quackers), but can you still walk from Reedham Ferry into Reedham "town"? I recall doing it many years ago and the footpath was very overgrown (and muddy so it must have been summer!!!). Always a good option just in case you cant get in on the quay heading in the town. And you can walk off some alcohol on the way back to your boat if you can find your way

1 minute ago, Baitrunner said:

Maybe one for BIll (Quackers), but can you still walk from Reedham Ferry into Reedham "town"? I recall doing it many years ago and the footpath was very overgrown (and muddy so it must have been summer!!!). Always a good option just in case you cant get in on the quay heading in the town. And you can walk off some alcohol on the way back to your boat if you can find your way

I have walked from the Ferry to the viilage, but I seem to remember it was tar macadam all the way !

cheersIain

Sadly.the riverbank path from Reedham Ferry to the village, which used to form part of the Wherryman's Way, is now closed. The Broads Authority were not willing to renew a lease with the landowner, who was in turn, I believe, not willing to take the necessary public liability insurance on his own shoulders. The matter is now the subject of discussion between Reedham Parish Council, the Broads Authority, and Norfolk County Council.

I hope I do not sound too cynical when I say that we may therefore expect the alternative all tarmac route for the Wherryman's Way and for travellers between Reedham Ferry and the village to remain the only option for the foreseeable future.

It adds about ten minutes of unremarkable walking to the previous twenty minutes, which included the delightful riverside stretch, but is still well within the compass of most of the dedicated.