How Much More For 'marine'?

LondonRascal

Last night I was hit by a form of annoyance and the feeling of absolute, sheer surprise and shock.  It is the feeling you get when you discover something actually very cheap and simple is being sold by the manufacturers of marine accessories as something special and expensive. 

It began with fenders.

I was looking at a cleaning spray for plastics and rubber used by the trucking industry and pondering if this could be used to get the grime and marks off fenders on boats, that lead me to find various people offering all sorts of ideas on how to clean their own fenders which led me to looking at the cost of fenders.  They are, not that cheap it turns out.

But why, I wondered did a Dutch manufacture -  www.majoni.nl - manage to produce good quality and well respected fenders and sell them through MailSpeed Marine for under £50.99 for four when Polyform would set you back over £107.00 for the same size, colour and type. 

It got worse when I headed over to Vetus.  Many people have a high regard for Vetus products, another Dutch company but with a love of all things Yellow.  I am not quite so sure – not about the quality of their products, but what they charge for what they are. 

On Broad Ambition we have three mushroom vents with an electric extraction fan built in to them.  They have three settings, off so air can enter and leave the area, or low and high speed options where the fan will extract air from the interior. They are not that quite in operation and they don’t shift that much air but I had imagine from all the slick drawing and technical specifications shown these had a high quality, special engineered fan inside them.  They cost over £60.00 each – and then I found one for sale on Ebay with the component parts shown – you’ve got to be kidding me I thought – it is a bluddy 12v PC cooler fan not only that, but it is the sort you’d expect on a bog standard CPU cooler – there are far better fans for computer cases which will shift a high volume of air and have a better blade design and quieter operation for under a tenner on Amazon! 

There are some things that are very much specific to boats – waterlocks, bilge pumps and the like but when you start to see what goes into some of the products or you find items labelled and branded by a well known company, but then discover the identical product with a generic brand at half the price it really makes you wonder.

Another good example is lighting – getting people to change their incandescent of fluorescent lighting on their boats to cool running low amperage LED fitments is the marine equivalent of double glazing salesmen. While you need to choose carefully, it is possible and cheap to get LED lamps to fit existing fittings happy to accept a variable voltage that boats often give between the engine running or not but don’t the chandlers just love to mark up LED’s to sometimes eye watering prices. Force4 will sell you a ‘wafer’ style G4 for £13.90 each plus postage – identical 5 pack on Amazon £9.99 delivered. 

So my advice is look, look and look again. Search out well reviewed suppliers and alternatives before just going ahead down to the Chandlers because while they may have that hard to get item you absolutely need, for the other stuff you can certainly save a lot.

• Like 7

Searching out the cheapest supplies is something I've done for years, often the Identical item can be bought from caravan suppliers for much less (in the field of lighting).

I work in Electronics, so know what I'm looking at and often buy Items from the internet Via the site of the strong women or via the site of the electronic cove. Often they are they are the same item but with a huge UK / EU marine,  mark up + taxes.

A quick check of one of the Cheaper marine internet sites shows almost £5 for 1 Toggle switch + postage, a check of Amazon, £1.47 delivered.

This is however different from buying from our nearest chandlers for boat specific Items, I do try to support my nearest chandlers and will always buy from there if their charge isn't TOO much higher than the net.

Even in the company I work for, although the Items sold by it are sold as US or EU made, the circuit boards and components come from China, sometimes pre assembled and only put in their fancy box in the UK / US.

For a real mark up, try galvanic Isolators,  cost of components to the makers, less than £10, cost to you near £100.

If you want to see a real mark up, buy a cup of coffee or tea, but that isn't about being thirsty, more of a social event too.

For all things electronics, wires, switches, LED's even computer parts, hard drives, garden hoses, etc try CPC Farnell, takes 3 minutes to set up your account, free delivery on line for £5 or more plus VAT. 

Don't assume they are the cheapest, for all things but cable ties are really cheap so are small batteries. Compare prices to a couple on ebay and amazon then decide.

They say 3-5 day free delivery, but mine always arrive next day.... so far.

Good customer service, had a few issues over the years, they sent a wrong part, new one was sent out for next day delivery, I then had to go out of my way to dispose of the wrong item lol...  Next project... sorted. lol

Richard

Oddly I'm just animating a bit for the BoatsLOG on the very subject. Chrome plated hooks for the canopy £5 each plus postage from an online chandlery. Same hooks £1.60 each plus postage from a camping/caravan shop. Same hooks again £7 for 50 postage paid from China via Etsy.

I like most Yorkshire folk are known for digging out a bargain, being self employed is also one of the traits for being thrifty, the main concern is that the product has to be like for like, but cheaper.

Regarding cleaning fenders we find the magic sponges the best option and only a few ponds for a pack of 50 or 100.

Regards

Alan

Its not just the marine industry, tools is another big budget busting thing for me. Example chainsaw chain sharpener from reputable chain manufacturers from 49.99 to 199.99, just been to lidl and got the identical item for £19.99, complete with their 3 year warranty.

Oh yes and one of there donuts with the little sprinkles on top........ Yummy!

• Like 3

Its simple economics as far as retailers are concerned.  If you can afford a boat you must have plenty of cash to pay over the odds for everything you need for it.  Win win for them except when dealing with the many of us who know you can always get everything cheaper than a chandler sells it if you know where to look. 

For example my nearest chandler sells crimp terminals at 25p each....if i wasnt so fit i might have had a heart attack (not) :-) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wildfuzz said:

Its not just the marine industry, tools is another big budget busting thing for me. Example chainsaw chain sharpener from reputable chain manufacturers from 49.99 to 199.99, just been to lidl and got the identical item for £19.99, complete with their 3 year warranty.

Oh yes and one of there donuts with the little sprinkles on top........ Yummy!

Thank for the info I needed a chainsaw sharpener, that another less in the North Walsham store, much of lidls' parkside tools  are actually made by Bosch,!!

You having building works at the station? Or is it next door? ( I WAS concentrating on the road, officer)

8 hours ago, Viking23 said:

For all things electronics, wires, switches, LED's even computer parts, hard drives, garden hoses, etc try CPC Farnell, takes 3 minutes to set up your account, free delivery on line for £5 or more plus VAT. Richard

Richard, Hi.

They ask for an account number but I don't have an account with them?

There are far better fans for computer cases which will shift a high volume of air and have a better blade design and quieter operation for under a tenner on Amazon!

Ah but Robin, will they fit our existing mushroom vents?  If so you had better order three of em pronto (And order 6 x miniatures for the two models Grendel is on with)

Griff

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Richard, Hi.

They ask for an account number but I don't have an account with them?

You just have to register with them, the account number is issued by them.

You might have to give a company name, say Admiral technology or what ever lol.

It's been a long time since I set it up.

Give them a call if you are having difficulties, hope it helps a bit anyway.

Richard

10 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

There are far better fans for computer cases which will shift a high volume of air and have a better blade design and quieter operation for under a tenner on Amazon!

Ah but Robin, will they fit our existing mushroom vents?  If so you had better order three of em pronto (And order 6 x miniatures for the two models Grendel is on with)

Griff

For our mushroom vent the fans were rectangular, so I cut the corners, so it was more round, then it fit much better. I wrapped my frames in a felt type material at the points it made contact with the vent or roof, only quietens them down a bit though.

Yes the station is being razed to the ground all except the old borough station entrance and a shiny new one is being built, there is an artists impression on the fence outside, complete with shrubs and police officers!!!!

As for the chainsaw sharpener, its brilliant, whizzed through half a dozen chains last night and they came up factory fresh. Brilliant bit of kit.

I Rarely use use Chandlers! over the years I've built quite a list of trusted suppliers, for electrical, stainless and anything else you can think of, and saved a fortune, one example, son in laws boat failed the BSS because he had no gas bottle straps, checked out a few chandlers and they ranged from £9.00 to £15.00 each, checked my list and Megavanmats were doing 2x for £8.95 including the £2.50 postage, all my electrical stuff I get from IEM services, the only time I use chandlers is if I need it that day, if I don't it's the internet and all it needs it a bit of planning and a wait! but the money you save is well worth it, I try to support local businesses but Chandlers arn't on the list, another example is stainless screws, bolts etc, I can but 100 screws from Beardshaws in Hoveton for around the same price It cost for 10 in a well known chandlers in Wroxham only downside is they arn't open weekends,,  

Being of an age when they were known as Radio Spares, I still use RS components when I need something fast, next day delivery, aways in stock not the cheapest but when you are in a hurry!

The Hayter needed a new starter battery. Hayter dealer North Walsham about forty quid. Ebay twelve! I used to use these 12v 4 amp/ hr VRLA so that I could side mount them for system backup. In those days I bought direct from Fiaam for about five pounds 50p.

On 9/1/2016 at 0:53 PM, Timbo said:

Oddly I'm just animating a bit for the BoatsLOG on the very subject. Chrome plated hooks for the canopy £5 each plus postage from an online chandlery. Same hooks £1.60 each plus postage from a camping/caravan shop. Same hooks again £7 for 50 postage paid from China via Etsy.

Can I have some details of those hooks please Tim, I am going to re-jig Nyx's canopy and I will need some. I'm after the solid ones not the pressed metal.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Can I have some details of those hooks please Tim, I am going to re-jig Nyx's canopy and I will need some. I'm after the solid ones not the pressed metal.

Morning Guv'nor! Here are the ones I've ordered as they are identical to the ones we had fitted.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Single-Hat-Coat-Hanger-Robe-Gown-Chrome-Plated-Door-Wall-Bathroom-Bedroom-Hook-Home-Decorate-40X40X20CM/32636462666.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.126.uuTOi5

If you check on the chinese exports websites etc look for small single chrome robe hooks/cleats there are thousands of designs and sizes.