So Are The Broads Flooding?

JanetAnne

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/floods_expected_in_southwold_and_blythburgh_and_flood_alerts_widened_for_north_and_east_norfolk_and_suffolk_coastal_communities_in_brancaster_burnham_market_wells_next_the_sea_blakeney_bacton_great_yarmouth_gorleston_lowestoft_and_southwold_1_4844466

We have also had some very low tides recently but it is almost a full moon, just depends on the wind strength and direction I reckon. Will have to wait & see but it's worth checking mooring ropes and fenders.

Friday looks dodgy and with a strong NW we could have ideal conditions for a surge tide down the East Coast. However a lot of balls need to be in place to get all of them in a row but the Authorities are right to forewarn people!

At this stage its a bit early but I would remain  mindful of the fact that conditions over the next few days suggest that some flooding could be possible. Quite where to early to guess but always better to be safe than sorry!

• Like 4

Not yet they're not https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/map.

The warning for some areas around Southwold and Felixstowe is the next level up... expect flooding...

If you think this storm is expected to track down the North sea on Friday I think the alerts will be higher by then.

It's blowing 38 at Norwich airport and Weybourne at the moment which is just into gale force.

I've just checked HSC web cams (click on horning sailing club / 3 rivers race /web cams) and there is plenty of room for more water, of course they are GY tides + 4hours.

Oh and they are racing radio controlled yachts at the moment..

1 minute ago, TheQ said:

I've just checked HSC web cams (click on horning sailing club / 3 rivers race /web cams) and there is plenty of room for more water, of course they are GY tides + 4hours.

Oh and they are racing radio controlled yachts at the moment..

Boys & their toys! Great fun, I'm sure.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Being three hours away means, like everyone else, I have to try and pre guess these things.

Luckily our marina keeps an eye on warps during this sort of weather.  3 hours is a fair old trek, we can door to boat in 2 hours from Herts

18 minutes ago, Jim said:

Luckily our marina keeps an eye on warps during this sort of weather.  3 hours is a fair old trek, we can door to boat in 2 hours from Herts

Ah, you have a 60 mile head start on me (Buckinghamshire) though when we are up working on JA at Buntingford I think we may be pretty close to you.

2 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Ah, you have a 60 mile head start on me (Buckinghamshire) though when we are up working on JA at Buntingford I think we may be pretty close to you.

Not far at all is Buntingford!  I did know a guy who built boats near there in Hormead years ago.

Friday seems to be the day, tonight at Potter things are ok. High tide at Yarmouth on Friday is about half 9 am and pm  so add your timings to where your boats are . Here it is about +4hours, .It's  grand daughter day for me but if things look to be bad we can have a look at the bridge and will post here.

I'm due onboard Friday night, tidal surges rarely affect us too much at the top end of the navigation.  Was does affect us but it is rare is that we have to take the top down at Ludham Bridge, if the airdraft gets to 7ft7" or less then we will have to.  Only once in the last 9 years has this happened

Griff

They are getting very worried about Caister / GY at the moment with several Severe Flood warnings, they are evacuating 5000 homes, and  are most worried about tonights high tide due 22:00 to 23:00.

so the peak tide would be  03:00 in Horning.