Astronomy On The Broads

grendel

I was asked a question about astronomy on the broads, so thought I would start this topic.

The broads is a good site for astronomy, though you would want to set up on the bank for steadiness. I have attached some photographs to the post, this is just using a standard dslr with standard lens, pointed at the sky with about 15-20 second exposures, the milky way is clearly visible. the one  problem I do have on he broads is recognising the constellations, I am just not used to seeing them among so many stars. I was moored at Hardly Cross, you will find that if you try and take pictures near the horizon, you do get light pollution from nearby towns (but nowhere near as much as you suffer living in or near a town.

One of the countries best dark sites is in Norfolk (Kelling).

I only took a small 50mm telescope (most astronomers see these small telescopes as not much better than a toy) under the great seeing conditions on the broads, this telescope showed me views rivalling those from much larger telescopes, a small telescope can give you good views , plus small size makes for easier transport, and setup on the bank.

One trick when looking for quality telescopes, is to look for telescopes made in Japan in the 1960's and 70's as these were generally made to a very good standard and their optical expertise was very good.

IMG_9603.JPG

IMG_9602 - Copy-levels.jpg

IMG_9608.JPG

IMG_9605.JPG

IMG_9611levels.jpg

• Like 10

This reminds me of sone of my vists to the "Nelsons Head" at Horsey. The then landlord, Andy, a somewhat shaggy haired fella who had "collectoritis" was also something of an astronomer! Had me out on the beer garden with his telescope star gazing a couple of times after shutting. Ideal way up there as there was minimal light pollution. 

• Like 1

One of the best skys we have seen was moored on the last downstream buoy at orford behind the ness, it was a cristal clear night and pith black other than the occaisional sweep of the lighthouse( I believe that is now disused), we had to drop the canopy and have a gawp for a while before going to bed, the dinghy trip back from the pub was interesting as even with night vision working we were within 20 metres of the boat before we could find it, it feels very desolate in a dinghy in the dark knowing the tide is ebbing fast and theres nowt between you and the sea.

I frequently cross the channel at night. On a yacht with only navigation lights the light pollution is minimal and on a clear night the skies are spectacular. The only down side is, being on a moving yacht (and also usually racing), there is no chance to take a photo.

• Like 2

On one occasion we were crossing the North Sea when we could see the loom of the lighthouses from both countries, that made navigation a doddle, the stars were down to both horizons and we had the real bonus of the brilliant phosphorescence in our wash. that in itself was sheer magic.

On an another occasion we crossed Breydon with a hunter's moon behind us, as we passed one post the light from the moon picked up the next one, once again another magic night.

It's not uncommon for there to be phosphorescence on Breydon, if you are lucky, but it won't match that seen on the open sea.

• Like 4

The most magical sky I have ever seen was in a fairly remote part of Australia. We were travelling in a campervan and stayed in a small National Park (a real one!), no lights at night anywhere. It was close to an observatory which we visited at night and were able to use the massive telescopes. Saturn and its moons were incredible and the southern skies are unbelievable.  

11 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Another occasion I recall was when we had "Judith" from Martham and mudweighted on Hickling. We were treated to very clear views of the milky way and lots of shooting stars. A spectacular display. Not been anywhere as exotic as some! (Although some might say I have!)

Of course you have! It is still possible to find fairly dark areas of Broadland as you found mudweighted on Hickling. There is something very special about being on a boat away from 'civilisation' and just enjoying the stars and the quiet.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

There is something very special about being on a boat away from 'civilisation' and just enjoying the stars and the quiet.

Oh, all right then. They say that star-gazing is a time to reminisce, so here is a true story which I hope you will like. It is still on the subject - of the sky at night - but perhaps a long way "off course".

When I was 18, I spent a winter season crewing on charter yachts in the Caribbean, between Antigua and Grenada. Sailing in the Leeward and Windward Islands is governed by the Trade Winds, hence the schooner rig, as whether going north or south, you are always on a beam reach. No navigation is needed (except at night) as when leaving one island you can always see the next in the chain. A two - week cruise, up or down the islands, cost around $3000 (in the 1960s) so it was a rich American holiday.

I ended up as crew on a lovely old wooden schooner called Black Dog, with a high poop deck and banistered taff-rails, so she looked just a buccaneer ship. She was owned and skippered by Cecil - pronounced "See-sull" - who was an aged American with a white beard who had made his money as a genuine prospector in the gold fields of the Yukon. When we anchored in the sunset off a palm beach he would regale the charterers  with the poems of Robert Service, such as "the shooting of Dan McGrew". I still know those poems by heart.

One time we had a middle-aged couple on board with their three teenage children and they asked Cecil if we could do a night passage, between two islands. Cecil said sure, but it was up to me to stand the night watch. Once we had raised sail and "made an offing" out of Fort de France, Martinique, Cecil went to his bunk and left me to find St Lucia. I could just see a light house in the distance so I reckoned if I gave her about 7 degrees to weather to allow for the leeway, on a beam reach, that would do it. Cecil didn't carry charts! The hirers were at first fascinated but their stamina soon waned and by midnight they had gone to their cabins, leaving me on my own to drive a 60ft topsail schooner, with 5 out of 7 sails set, in the cool of a gentle south east breeze.

The skies are so clear in the Caribbean, and so stuffed full of stars that you really believe that you can simply reach up and touch them. There was a full moon as well, but I began to realise that the light was changing, as the moon seemed to start to fade. I lashed the wheel and went down to the cabins to wake the family, who came up on deck to see. We spent the rest of the night sitting at the leeward taff-rail watching the complete cycle of a full lunar eclipse, with all those stars in the sky and the gleaming phosphorescence in our wake.

Cecil came on deck in the dawn as we approached the port of Castries, St Lucia - bang on my compass heading - and for once, he didn't know what he had missed. In all my time in the hire boat business, if I have ever "made" someone's holiday, it was those people, that magical night.

"Were you ever out in the Great Alone, when the moon was awful clear, and the icy mountains hemmed you in with a silence, you most could hear - with only the cry of a timber wolf, and you camped there in the cold : a half dead thing in a stark, dead world : clean mad for the muck called gold?

While high overhead, green, yellow and red, the Northern Lights swept in bars? Then you've a hunch what the music meant : hunger. and night. and the stars."

Robert Service - The Shooting of Dan McGrew.

• Like 5

Nice pics Grendel, we've just finished playing with a camera spinner and time lapse trying to get it to flow correctly (Turnspro.com). I did some night shots at Salhouse last Sept on a Canon 650D and EOS software on the laptop so I could have the camera on a low tripod and monitor on the laptop etc. only got 2 nights of clear skys over the week.

Now waiting for another camera remote release which be can program for lapse, (£20 on Amazon) but just found deep on the laptop software I can program it on there as well for static use.

having stopped league ten pin bowl most Monday nights for 27 years (elbow buggered) means we've more playing time on projects etc. So should be better prepared for our broads trip in April.

• 1 month later...
On 19/02/2017 at 10:08 PM, vanessan said:

The most magical sky I have ever seen was in a fairly remote part of Australia. We were travelling in a campervan and stayed in a small National Park (a real one!), no lights at night anywhere. It was close to an observatory which we visited at night and were able to use the massive telescopes. Saturn and its moons were incredible and the southern skies are unbelievable.  

If anyone is interested there is a programme on next week (28/29/30 March) featuring the observatory we visited, Siding Spring in NSW. Professor Brian Cox is presenting it and showing the beauty of the night skies down under. I reckon some good views of Saturn will be shown. It's called Stargazing I think.

• Like 1

On the odd occasions when the selfish b*stards in the holiday cottage across the dyke don't have their security lights blazing, we have been treated to some beautiful night skies in Horning. One night moored at Fleet Dyke last August, the moon was absent, the air was exceptionally clear and the water flat calm. You could clearly see all the stars reflected in the dyke - amazing!

I do think it is about time that the powers that be legislated against intrusive light pollution.

cheers

Steve

• Like 2

Steve I think we need to worry about one or two other things before intrusive light pollution :norty:

Yes and I think this thread is about astronomy - Hence the remark about light pollution (Quite right too imho)

There is another dedicated thread to worry about that :norty: 

Griff

• Like 1

On 2/20/2017 at 2:41 PM, Vaughan said:

"Were you ever out in the Great Alone, when the moon was awful clear, and the icy mountains hemmed you in with a silence, you most could hear - with only the cry of a timber wolf, and you camped there in the cold : a half dead thing in a stark, dead world : clean mad for the muck called gold?

While high overhead, green, yellow and red, the Northern Lights swept in bars? Then you've a hunch what the music meant : hunger. and night. and the stars."

Robert Service - The Shooting of Dan McGrew.

I also have a shared love of the Canadian Kipling and Bard of the Yukon since my teens. 

The Service poems are now a permanent in my Kindle Paper White and travel with me everywhere.

• Like 1

"There are strange things done, 'neath the midnight sun, by the men who moil for gold ; and the Arctic trails have their secret tales, that would make your blood run cold. The Northern Lights have seen ***** sights : but the queerest they ever did see, was that night, on the marge of Lake Labarge, when I cree - mated Sam McGee."

Does that remind you of something?

These two poems, with their meter and verse, formed the basis for the Ballard of Eskimo Nell!

• Like 1