Breydon Crossing October '17

JamesLV

Hi all,

Time for me to make an inevitable 'crossing breydon' post...

We're heading up to Norfolk at the beginning of October, and starting at Wroxham, I'm tempted by a trip South as I've never done it before, but I'm slightly fearful that the timings may not make it possible.

We would be looking to cross Breydon on Sunday 1st October, and slack water at GY is at 14.23, this is not so bad, give an hour to get to the first moorings taking into account any issues, hopefully there would be space there (I'm guessing a lot of boats will be going through at this point).

Its coming back that presents some issues, to make it worthwhile doing Wroxham to GY in one hit, we'd want to spend at least a couple of days south, now coming back I'm guessing we'd want to hit GY at slack water again, (we're 8'6") which on Tuesday 3rd is 16.10 and this where it becomes a bit tricky, early October whilst not dark, it will be getting that way, and I don't really fancy mooring overnight at GY, which means Stokesby is probably my next choice, 2 hours thereabouts from GY, putting us there at 18.00, moorings reliant.

I think I've probably answered my own questions already, but can anyone see any errors in my logic, aside from the fact I should've hired a shorter boat, which means tides and bridges present less issues, the ant and ludham are also causing me issues!

Thanks as always,

james 

I think looking at sunset and sunrise in combination with tide times, going south isn't really a practical option, hopefully the ant will be kind, I think realistically we've got a couple of hours before/after low tide to get through, so it may be a case of a later afternoon pass under heading up to How Hill, then an early morning pass under on the way back to the Bure

I cannot argue with your assessment!!

Going south is easy - timing is a bit easier as you can easily transit GY either side of low water IF the height is OK and it should be as you are coming up to springs.

BUT coming back you are squeezed every which way!! You are nearer springs and so you could push through if the height is ok but you then have a hard flog up the Bure. Stracey Arms is probably only 1 1/2 hrs away but if its a rainy day, then the dark will get you first! From a height point of view, you have to watch the incoming flood creeping in and raising water levels, whilst to all appearances, the tide is still running out onb the surface.

You should however be fine at Ludham - most people will tell you that Ludham rarely holds up traffic because of the bridge height and when it does it is usually a combination of spring tides and heavy rain. Rise and fall at Ludham is not a lot - 6/9" or so, but the gauges are set well back from the bridge and you have plenty of time to moor. Its often easier to stop. Perhaps as a precaution try and navigate against the run of the stream - that enables you to have more control and able to stop more easily if its a squeeze

• Like 2

I would advise asking the yard when you take the boat over as to what the river levels are like. We have had short breaks in mid-October several times when the water levels have been high. On Silver Emblem (a dual helm cruiser) we were advised it unlikely we would get under Ludham Bridge so we avoided the Ant that time. On Fair Prince (a centre cockpit boat) we did get under but we needed to put the canopy back and take the windscreen down to be sure. As we were only there for four days it was fine as there were plenty of other places to go.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your answers, herein lies the issue with a relatively tall boat, and an October holiday, I took Fair jubilee in her first season around the same time and was blighted by spring tides and high rainfall, ended up swerving the ant and sticking to the burr mostly, and a visit to Potter, looks like this may be the case this time as well. 

Note to self, check tide times before booking, and get a shorter boat!

So, i think realistically the plan will probably be something along the lines of:

day one: pick up omega, head to Salhouse, cook onboard and overnight

day two: head down to stokesby perhaps have a meal at the ferry inn, and overnight, fingers crossed on the electric

day three: back up to Potter, do Latham's, cook onboard and overnight

day four: back down towards Ranworth, or South Walsham, cook onboard and overnight

day five: head to Acle, dinner at the bridge and overnight

Day six: up to Womack, either visit butchers and cook onboard, or kings head (think it's the kings head)

day seven: back to horning, hopefully get on the stair he, overnight and probably cook on board. Don't really want to be on the island, our outside the pubs.

day eight: back to Wroxham early doors and hand omega back (sad times)

though with 6 months to go, who knows what could change, i do really want to do the ant so a lot will depend on weather!

• Like 2

There's always  a  lot of talk about Ludham Bridge. A few points the height marker is as of last year wrong. Sweet kingfisher is also 8.6.We have always got under.Check as others have said River levels. Tip phone the BA chaps at Great Yarmouth  they will let you know heights and timings. Have a great time

Ian

• Like 1

Yet again this begs the question why hire a high topped boat if you`re worried about bridge clearance, or the other question, if you want to go south in reduced hours of daylight in October, whey on earth DID`NT you hire from a southern yard?. I know the number of yards on the southern rivers has rapidly decreased in recent years, but you still have Silverline, Brooms, Freedom, Pacific, and Maffetts, though Maffetts only have 2 traditional 2 berth woodies.  If you insist on hiring from a northern yard and want to go south, then why not hire from Bridgecraft at Acle, that way most of the journey to Gt Yarmouth is already done?. Also, you now have the Broads Boat Company as well.

• Like 2

I love a trip south but it looks like staying north is the sensible option on this occasion. I notice your potential stay-north itinerary doesn't include the Ant - you'll be fine at Ludham. As has already mentioned, Ludham would only be an issue in unusual conditions. You can see how many high air draft boats Richardsons have and they have to pass Ludham on every hire. 

7 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Yet again this begs the question why hire a high topped boat if you`re worried about bridge clearance, or the other question, if you want to go south in reduced hours of daylight in October, whey on earth DID`NT you hire from a southern yard?. I know the number of yards on the southern rivers has rapidly decreased in recent years, but you still have Silverline, Brooms, Freedom, Pacific, and Maffetts, though Maffetts only have 2 traditional 2 berth woodies.  If you insist on hiring from a northern yard and want to go south, then why not hire from Bridgecraft at Acle, that way most of the journey to Gt Yarmouth is already done?. Also, you now have the Broads Boat Company as well.

In all honesty I hadn't considered tide times, and the effect that would have with a boat that sits close to the various bridges. That's pretty much the size of it, and yes I probably should have hired a boat with less air draft. The logic behind hiring from Wroxham is simply that I've had experience with Barnes before, and they had the boat I wanted, for what I wanted to pay.

I'm sure whatever we chose to do, it'll be amazing, I might even have 3 weetabix and take some brace pills and have a go at Ludham!

• Like 6

Every October we venture South during our 'Lads Week' we shall be doing so this year too, usually for 3 days, this October we will be overnighting at Norwich for 1 night as last year it was the Waveney. Obviously I always pre plan the timings. As of yet I have not done so. Sometimes we have to do a very early morning sail, sometimes we have to battle a full ebb up the Bure too. Our main restriction usually seems to be daylight due to the 2 Hireboats not having nav lights. It's all part of the fun 

Griff

• Like 4

Hi James

We never usually plan anything, only what pub for lunch lol. We have hired South and gone North, have hired North and gone South, the beauty of that for us is you get lots of cruising time, with a pub lunch thrown in and a bit of fishing along the way

Get the times right, go South and enjoy, rumour has it from some of the Southerners there are dragons and pirates that eat babies on Breydon, it's all not true, they just want the Southern waters to themselves, we can't allow that, now can we? :swordpir:

October is a lovely time on the Broads, don't worry about anything and most importantly, have loads of fun and enjoy

Grace

• Like 7

We felt as if we had the Southern  waters to ourselves today This morning. we re-commissioned the boat and took her from Brundall Bay marina to Sheerline's Depot  just by the Postwick flyover,  where she'll stay for a while to have some  electrical work done. We didn't pass another boat all the way there. The weather was beautiful  and it was a lovely cruise, . The only down side was that we hadn't had a chance to clean the winter grime off and the boat was filthy not our usual style at all.

Carole

• Like 7