Rascal's Learning to Drive

1 hour ago, freespeech said:

Greetings All,

I don't like swans, cuckoos, motorboats, jetskis, vegans, pubs that open at 4, lefties, lifejackets, Tesco's rottiseries, boat wake, spring tides, fenders, houses(or people in them mostly, cars(like vans), small deers, slush and freeloaders.

I do like a whole grilled chicken.

All the Best.

There's nothing wrong with Fenders, modern Gibson's on the other hand, go out of tune easily and are a pain in the bum... :default_coat:

23905209_930115560475356_752053021949093080_n.jpg

18 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Don't think that's it :default_unsure:

Fred

I could tell you Vaughan, but I'd have to kill you, after telling you. But don't worry, I'd probably get banned, well before any of your blood was spilled... :default_dry:

Well I have no idea what has been going on here (or Facebook) with regard to me posting updates on learning to drive since I have been behaving myself and not checking my phone while at the wheel - seem something happened but moving on, what of today's progress?

Things began well, if a little wet which was good because it gave me some experience of driving in the rain, how water droplets effect visibility on mirrors and even small things like the wipers which change things slightly compared to a dry day. I also was reminded to be cautious about stopping distances being increased and due to the wet roads the emergency stop part of the plan was postponed.

Each time I venture out things have become more refined, from the get go I have been a very smooth driver with no sudden jerks, either when pulling up or moving off but now I am steering very smoothing, sure footed and making more confident move - judging speeds, distances and so on so no longer am I the slow learner dithering. I am not sure if these sort of courses are for everyone though, because there is so many hours of driving with only a single short break, but what it does mean is day after day everything is fresh in the mind a few days or a week has not passed between lessons and so the learning curve, while steep is rewarding for you can see real progress daily.

We visited a different car park today, and I did a front bay and reverse bay park - the front bay went badly, because I ended up in the bay but not straight - that is allowed so long as your wheels are within the lines, but I was not very pleased, the reversing went better and so out of the different options the Examiner can ask you to do (only one) I think this would be my preferred maneuver.

After this it was back out on the roads, varied from quiet residential to large main roads, small mini-roundabouts to larger more complex ones but then the 'issue' happened...You see, I had been asked to pull over to the left, and this I had done. I was then asked to perform a parallel parking maneuver when safe which I then completed too. It was after this I was asked to carry on when safe and did the usual checks and noticed a car approaching from behind.  I did not move and waited, the car slowed and stopped. I then put my right indicator on, pulled out and drove off along the street.

A short time later I was asked to pull over and was then told how I should not have indicated. This is a hot topic of ADI Forum's - when to indicate and when not to. Many argue it is far more important to have done a mirror and blind spot check and indicate even if you are in the middle of the Outer Hebrides with nobody and no cars around for miles than to either not indicate, or indicate and not have done a proper observation check. I was told that one must only indicate where it benefits others, even a pedestrian so the fact there was a car behind me, albeit stopped, I felt sure my use of the indicator would be of a benefit to them.

I was told that I should not use an indicator if I am not in motion and about to pull out from a parking spot where there is nobody approaching from in front, but there is someone approaching form behind - such as the above case in point. However, what if you are waiting to pull out, say from a lay-by or in a long line of parked cars with traffic passing? Do you just wait endlessly until everyone has passed and then pull out without indication? She then said that if indicated and a car slowed down or expected me to pull out and stopped then that could be a case where I had caused another driver to take action they would not usually have, and put them or me or both in danger.

I think this is going to be one of those things that you can debate a great deal, and is not going to be a winner in, for the sake of good order and keeping in with my Instructor any time I am asked to pull over to the left hand side of the road I will wait until nothing is coming up behind for I am sure if I do anything else I am bound to be reminded of today. The rule does not apply if something is approaching you though, then you need to indicate. Still if I do end up with the BMW then they don't come with working indicators anyway from the factory so it is not an issue :default_dry:

6 minutes ago, Polly said:

I belong to the 'Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre' tribe personally, regardless. :default_biggrin:

I agree, when you start choosing when to indicate, you're on the slippery slope that many BMW, Audi or Range Rover drivers never seem to recover from...

Where I live in Lowestoft seeing someone actually use an indicator is a rarity.  

I’ve driven all over the Country, Ireland and central Europe and never have I seen such poor driving standards as here, not even in France............

I cant understand what factors have led to it either, is it poor teaching from the beggining, who knows but theres certainly something different in this part of East Anglia. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

A short time later I was asked to pull over and was then told how I should not have indicated. This is a hot topic of ADI Forum's - when to indicate and when not to. Many argue it is far more important to have done a mirror and blind spot check and indicate even if you are in the middle of the Outer Hebrides with nobody and no cars around for miles than to either not indicate, or indicate and not have done a proper observation check. I was told that one must only indicate where it benefits others, even a pedestrian so the fact there was a car behind me, albeit stopped, I felt sure my use of the indicator would be of a benefit to them.

Robin, this is a very difficult one and I am afraid I don't know the new rules on this as I took my test an awful long time ago when you still had to give hand signals as well as indicate. This meant going around with the driver's window full open all the time, in mid winter! I was taught though, that the indicator is there to indicate your intentions. That may involve pedestrians as well as cyclists.

I suggest that you have a chat with your instructor and ask her to clarify exactly what she wants. You are taking these lessons in order to pass the test. So if the test rules say when or when not you may indicate, then you must abide by them. At least until you pass!

13 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Where I live in Lowestoft seeing someone actually use an indicator is a rarity.  

I’ve driven all over the Country, Ireland and central Europe and never have I seen such poor driving standards as here, not even in France............

I cant understand what factors have led to it either, is it poor teaching from the beggining, who knows but theres certainly something different in this part of East Anglia. 

They certainly do not ever look before reversing out of a spot.    They just get in and bung it in to reverse and expect the rest of us to react.