Owning A Boat On The Broads

JennyMorgan

From a financial management perspective it makes no sense owning a boat. But a decent golf club will cost you £2K per annum. When we were a young family I also had a caravan as well as the boat. I was shocked when someone in the village said what it now costs per night and then winter storage on top. Hobbies are not cheap. I shoot and well, the skys the limit with that hobby.

Yes in many ways it don't make.We like many used to hire,at first two weeks in the summer,Then a week at Easter  and the odd dat boat.That cost a few bob.Then I stopped smoking,Alan wanted a GPS,so we went to the boat show and got our first boat.Would I give it up no.Not while I can afford it.Always look forward  to be on the boat.Recently I have had a few Flying lessons. Don't like I can afford a plane.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Is owning a boat expensive though?

As I’ve said before, we are thinking about it and if my figures are way off, please, more knowledgeable people put me right.

We figure if we buy something for 15 – 20 thousand depreciation will be minimal, assuming we look after it. Costs for mooring, tolls, insurance and some for maintenance/ repairs around £3000 a year, £250 per month. Given what you get for that, the freedom to just go and spend some time on the river whenever you want, I would say it’s pretty good value.

Between us we will visit 4 times this year and will have nearly spent that much. No freedom though.

I suppose like everything in life, if you enjoy what you get out and can afford it, it’s not expensive.

It coats  me about 1700 pounds.to moor tolls just over 300 insurance 150.Then other running costs 500 +.Thats on a good year.Over winter to take boat out other bits and bobs anther 500.As I said before we enjoy doing so and the boat is our second  home.We are lucky  the odd weekend  elsewhere  the start of the month spent in Berlin. We both work hard and while we can we will do the same thing. 

• Like 2

Mine is 3200 moorings, 250 insurance, 575 tolls. Then add in gas, diesel, shore electrics, maintenance etc. I figure that is about 400 per month. Or to look at it another way 2 weeks hire peak season for a premium boat or about 8 weeks hire for an economy range boat. Do the figures stack up? If you ask an accountant it is probably a resounding no. If you ask a boat enthusiast or broads lover, then probably Yes, well it works for me anyway as I don't holiday anywhere else so arguably a big family holiday abroad would be about the same as a years running costs. Horses for courses..........or that's what I tell myself every time I sneak guilty out of a Chandler with some new purchase  :default_smiley-angelic002:.

Cheers

Trev

• Like 3

Wow Trev... what boat you got and where you moor it, I might need a rethink.

Thing is some people spend that much on a car each month...I don't know why.

Jonzo, I understand syndicate ownership is good value but wouldn't work for us just not enough flexibility.

• Thanks 1

'B.A' runs to about £3'500 to have her sat turn key ready to go 365 days a year.

Maintenance costs? - Well I have the figures, it varies year to year.  The maintenance is manageable, it's the upgrade and 'Wish List' that can run away with itsen if you let it

Griff

Maybe look at the costs versus nights afloat?

My yearly running costs normally  (yes, I know, not been afloat for the last two seasons :default_blush:) work out to about £1800 but we manage somewhere around 100 nights afloat so at £18 a night its cheaper than a camp site!

B.A. must be out and about for more in the region of 200 nights a year making her a similar cost per night.

Jonzo suggests the running costs of a syndicate boat could be around £1200 a year for which you would see 28 nights at a cost of £42 a night.

Of course, Janet Anne is a four berth so my £18 a night is £4.50 a person whereas the syndicate boat will sleep 8 meaning £5.00 per person per night.... nothing in it!

I think boating can be as cheap or as expensive as you choose to make it. A modest boat on a non serviced mooring can be had for pocket money whereas BA in her nice wetshed on electric etc will cost four or five times as much. Ultimately it has to be what works for you. The simplicity of syndicate where its all taken care of, the private ownership with the luxury of flexibility versus responsibility or hiring with its ease of just turn up, enjoy and walk away.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Wyndham said:

Wow Trev... what boat you got and where you moor it, I might need a rethink.

Thing is some people spend that much on a car each month...I don't know why.

Jonzo, I understand syndicate ownership is good value but wouldn't work for us just not enough flexibility.

Admittedly my boat is a big one at 42 feet couple that with the most expensive moorings in Norfolk and my running costs do look horrendous. Most sensible people would have a 37 footer max and moor it somewhere with sensible charges.

Trev

• Like 1

In round numbers our 2 week share in Thunder costs us £875 per year. That's 43 foot and 8 berths.

Last week we spent £60 on diesel and £23 on pumpouts assume the same for the other week is £166.

So total cost £1,040. Cost to hire equivalent boat last week alone was £1,815.

We had 4 people onboard for Easter week and 8 last week so that works at £12.40 per person per night.

What's not to like :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

£10,000 to £12,000 mark. Because we operate a 40 week season  our operating costs are around £43.00 per day.

Wow, that seems expensive to me, we operate a 52 week season, admittedly she is not out anywhere near 52 weeks (I wish she was)

B.A. must be out and about for more in the region of 200 nights a year making her a similar cost per night.

Sadly nowhere near 200 nights per year, this year we may well hit the 100 days out on the rivers putting each day out at £35:00, or look it another way, she is ready to go 365 days a year making each available day cost £9:50.  Break it down even further as there are five shares (Four owners) so it has cost each share £1:91 per day to have the luxury of having a classic woody turn-key 40 footer ready to go at anytime.  Not including diesel / pumpout / maintenance etc

The above is immaterial of course, as what price do you put on being afloat out and about on the rivers?

Griff

• Like 4

10 hours ago, tjg1677 said:

Mine is 3200 moorings, 250 insurance, 575 tolls. Then add in gas, diesel, shore electrics, maintenance etc. I figure that is about 400 per month. Or to look at it another way 2 weeks hire peak season for a premium boat or about 8 weeks hire for an economy range boat. Do the figures stack up? If you ask an accountant it is probably a resounding no. If you ask a boat enthusiast or broads lover, then probably Yes, well it works for me anyway as I don't holiday anywhere else so arguably a big family holiday abroad would be about the same as a years running costs. Horses for courses..........or that's what I tell myself every time I sneak guilty out of a Chandler with some new purchase  :default_smiley-angelic002:.

Cheers

Trev

I'd be interested to know who you insure with as £250 sounds good to us

Carole

Hi Carole.

I use craftinsure.com  all my narrowboats were insured through them too. The 250 is fully comp all risks and a write off value of 40k with 5 million third party liability. All actual policies underwritten by Zurich.

They are excellent. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers 

Trev

• Thanks 1

We use Craftinsure.com and have done for many years, they are underwritten by Navigators and General (owned by zurich) who are one of the best and highly respected, They handled out £8k claim the other year with so much compassion and care, they was even willing to fight our corner all the way through the courts, despite the no fault claim our premiums did not go up.  You can go direct with Nav and Gen but you get a good price and a the same service via craftinsure. Sadly I couldn't get them insure the broom as  they don't cover "long stay aboard" and went with yachtmaster in woodbridge and yeah would rather be with nav and gen :( 

Thank for all the helpful info' Trev We are with Nav' Gen and have been for the last few years,Tony always phones round to get the best deal he can and will try these peop!e you use when it's due in October. Your response is much appreciated.

Carole

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

All this talk of money,Graham  has not long phoned to say our 3 batterys are knackered so will cost about 240/280 pounds.:default_badday:

Hi, if you can get hold of a trade card at halfrauds 115amp leisure battery made by varta £70! Two yr guarantee At that price I don't mind replacement every 2-4 yrs :-)