Interesting New Sign

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Saw this the other week when out and about. I'm guessing not an official sign? I wonder who been upsetting who? I didn't spot any cameras, although I had mine at the ready. Reminded me of an old Aretha Franklin song, Who's zooming who? :default_rofl:

20170811171630_IMG_0099.JPG

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
2 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

I think we need to add another sign

"Fly posters will be prosecuted"

Assuming, that is, it has been erected by a non person.

Reminds me of the persecution that poor Bill Stickers received all his life. :default_eusa_naughty:

I think a lot more signs are needed re slowing for moored boats. Hirers seldom slow and some privateers need constant reminding. I don't know if slowing when passing moored boats is a request in the skipper's handbook, but it ought to be. Perhaps someone can tell me? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hylander said:

You saying that on holiday in June a boat went passed us like the wind (a woody) with slow down when passing boats attached to the rear.   Obviously doesn't give a flying whatever about anyone else .

You mean the speeding boat had a sign on the back about slowing down when passing boats? You couldn't make it up could you?!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So these so called do gooders armed with uncalibrated speed detection devices are making a best guess as to whether a boat is speeding or not.

So armed with 35 seconds of amateur video,  just exactly what are they expecting to do with that?

They would get laughed out of court if a private prosecution was taken out, and the BA would probably need another third party with alternative evidence to support it before they took on the case, and if they did, it would probably go no further than the "Blue Book".

So what exactly is the point? I would be intimidated by such violation of being videoed by third parties, that I might just moor up by them, and ask them what they were doing, videoing the complete interview on video at the time of course.

I recon they wouldn't like that either.  

My goodness, what are the Broads becoming? I thought this was a holiday environment, people relaxing, in the end we end up compiling conflicting evidence of alleged offences, for our defence.

Last November, due to health and logistics reasons, we moved our boat to the Thames at Oxford.

When I read about all the aggravation in many of the posts, stag parties, running engines after hours, fewer moorings, etc are only a few of the issues causing confrontation, then I am so pleased we have moved.

We have not yet encountered the full wrath of the Thames, if indeed there is any, as in main season, this is probably happening well South of us, in the Henley Windsor area and more towards Teddington, but our aim is to try this area in September, health permitting. 

The biggest confrontation with the authorities on the Thames is caused by overstopping liveaboards, who are often more likely not to pay their EA river fees either.

I would still like a week on the Broads though....despite this.

Richard

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I feel a bit sorry for the BA on this one, it will be a case of they will be buggered if they do or whether they don't. Undoubtedly the additional notice is unofficial, designed to 'scare' would be speeders, doesn't have planning consent or official sanction and therefore the BA is duty bound to demand its removal. However if they do they will be accused of not supporting their own speed limit.

Such do it yourself signs have been around for as long as I can remember and let's be honest, speeding and wash has always been and remains a very real problem. Whoever this well meaning but possibly small minded and sad individual is I neither know nor care, he has bought a property where wash and speeding is a problem and probably has been for generations. Perhaps an unwise purchase.

Heaven forbid that speed cameras become a feature of the Broads. Speeding is a problem and quite honestly is one that has not been tackled effectively by either the Authority nor the boat owners. Short of 24 hour surveillance and threats to cut off the offender's favourite playthings I really don't see the answer.

• Like 1

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
22 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I feel a bit sorry for the BA on this one, it will be a case of they will be buggered if they do or whether they don't. Undoubtedly the additional notice is unofficial, designed to 'scare' would be speeders, doesn't have planning consent or official sanction and therefore the BA is duty bound to demand its removal. However if they do they will be accused of not supporting their own speed limit.

Such do it yourself signs have been around for as long as I can remember and let's be honest, speeding and wash has always been and remains a very real problem. Whoever this well meaning but possibly small minded and sad individual is I neither know nor care, he has bought a property where wash and speeding is a problem and probably has been for generations. Perhaps an unwise purchase.

Heaven forbid that speed cameras become a feature of the Broads. Speeding is a problem and quite honestly is one that has not been tackled effectively by either the Authority nor the boat owners. Short of 24 hour surveillance and threats to cut off the offender's favourite playthings I really don't see the answer.

I should point out that these signs, there are two, are either side of The Beauchamp Arms as you enter the 5mph section around the pub. Either side of that stretch the limit is 6mph. So the only properties affected are the pub, the yacht club and I think a small boat yard? There are two or three permanently moored boats at the pub and I suspect, but don't know, that it is one of them responsible for the filming and signs.

Putting all that to one side, the Yare from Brundall to Reedham does seem to suffer quite heavily with speeding by a certain type of boat trying to make a window when they know the bridge at Reedham will open. :default_eusa_naughty: Being quite tidal it also seems to suffer from slower boats pushing against the tide and not realising that it is their wash that is more the concern, than their actual speed.

The river goes around a bend where the pub is, meaning that wash from boats going down river is more likely to strike squarely on the beam of the boats moored there. Having moored at the pub for a short visit, I can tell you I would never rent annual moorings there. Some time ago a boat was sunk there, and the suspicion was that the wind was creating wavelets and driving them down river towards the boats moored at the pub, and that the waves were breaking over the back of the boat that sunk, that had a low footwell at the back and eventually overwhelmed the bilge pump until it sunk.

That stretch for some reason has always been a bone of contention between the sailys, the anglers with roach poles so long I don't know why they don't just fish from the opposite bank, and at times others just speeding to get through and away from the mayhem as soon as possible. On a very windy day it is bad enough negotiating the sailys who want all the width of the river and at times seem to take great delight in forcing you into the fishermen's swims. There are times when try as I might to avoid it, you still cannot help upsetting someone along that stretch. 

All of us at some point have been subject to effects of someone else speeding, be they holiday hires or privateers, or in my case a boat yard tug boat going hell for leather. I've also heard some quite vociferous complaints about speeding and wash, I kid you not, including someone shouting about the bow wave from a passing swan! Slowing down when passing moored boats is...well, it's basic common sense. Something that is very short in supply in this day and age.

Having said that, the self-appointed speed enforcement agent, writer of non-legal signs, filmer and reporter of all things deemed in their limited legal minds as 'wrongdoing' is just as much a nuisance, of course, based on my own limited experience.

So, let's start with the film footage. Worthless. Not that I would, but if I'm presented with 'video evidence' of my alleged wrong doing I'm going to want the device it was recorded on dismantled, tested and calibrated, along with any and all video editing equipment.  Say, for example, they film me and my children on board my boat. We are in public they're fine...legally. The minute they post the footage share it or otherwise distribute footage of my kids without my permission, in any way, with any one...I am going to haul their backside into a courtroom, right after the hospital have removed my boot toe.

Moving onto the signage. Breach of planning permission there, to begin with. Littering? The placement of the non-legal signage against the speed limit sign just made the speed limit unenforceable. 'Honest guv I couldn't read the speed limit for the other sign'. Far-fetched? A junior school put up hand-drawn signage from the kids pleading drivers to slow down in a 30 mph limit. A guy got off doing 60mph in that 30mph limit because the speed limit signs by that school had been obscured and 'defaced'.

Then there's the poor authority trying to wade through hours of footage and reports, wasting man hours and money, where to be honest, they are the better judge of where enforcement is best placed than some random bloke with a bee in their bonnet because his cheap permanent mooring is somewhat hazardous. A quick Google shows records of some five or six craft having sunk in that location since the 1950's.

Unless you are a duly appointed official, by all means politely ask folks to slow down, definitely report anything illegal or dangerous to the correct authority but, no matter what you think your rights are, you are not a law enforcement officer, secret agent, vigilante or superhero. If it's wrong, or dangerous, report it, I understand from Wildfuzz that information is paramount. But I don't have time for crusaders, caped or otherwise. I guarantee you will look stupid in spandex and a cape.

Members will realise from my attitude I've had past run in's with this kind of person. It didn't work out well for them. As Viking said in his excellent post, this kind of nonsense detracts from the lifeblood of The Broads the holiday industry, which most of us as customers and locals have been part of at some point.

Once Royal Tudor is back on the water, I'm really going to miss my Dad, Uncle Albert, shouting 'oi pillock SLOW DOWN' at an assortment of passing boats!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
9 minutes ago, Timbo said:

All of us at some point have been subject to effects of someone else speeding, be they holiday hires or privateers, or in my case a boat yard tug boat going hell for leather. I've also heard some quite vociferous complaints about speeding and wash, I kid you not, including someone shouting about the bow wave from a passing swan! Slowing down when passing moored boats is...well, it's basic common sense. Something that is very short in supply in this day and age.

Having said that, the self-appointed speed enforcement agent, writer of non-legal signs, filmer and reporter of all things deemed in their limited legal minds as 'wrongdoing' is just as much a nuisance, of course, based on my own limited experience.

So, let's start with the film footage. Worthless. Not that I would, but if I'm presented with 'video evidence' of my alleged wrong doing I'm going to want the device it was recorded on dismantled, tested and calibrated, along with any and all video editing equipment.  Say, for example, they film me and my children on board my boat. We are in public they're fine...legally. The minute they post the footage share it or otherwise distribute footage of my kids without my permission, in any way, with any one...I am going to haul their backside into a courtroom, right after the hospital have removed my boot toe.

Moving onto the signage. Breach of planning permission there, to begin with. Littering? The placement of the non-legal signage against the speed limit sign just made the speed limit unenforceable. 'Honest guv I couldn't read the speed limit for the other sign'. Far-fetched? A junior school put up hand-drawn signage from the kids pleading drivers to slow down in a 30 mph limit. A guy got off doing 60mph in that 30mph limit because the speed limit signs by that school had been obscured and 'defaced'.

Then there's the poor authority trying to wade through hours of footage and reports, wasting man hours and money, where to be honest, they are the better judge of where enforcement is best placed than some random bloke with a bee in their bonnet because his cheap permanent mooring is somewhat hazardous. A quick Google shows records of some five or six craft having sunk in that location since the 1950's.

Unless you are a duly appointed official, by all means politely ask folks to slow down, definitely report anything illegal or dangerous to the correct authority but, no matter what you think your rights are, you are not a law enforcement officer, secret agent, vigilante or superhero. If it's wrong, or dangerous, report it, I understand from Wildfuzz that information is paramount. But I don't have time for crusaders, caped or otherwise. I guarantee you will look stupid in spandex and a cape.

Members will realise from my attitude I've had past run in's with this kind of person. It didn't work out well for them. As Viking said in his excellent post, this kind of nonsense detracts from the lifeblood of The Broads the holiday industry, which most of us as customers and locals have been part of at some point.

Once Royal Tudor is back on the water, I'm really going to miss my Dad, Uncle Albert, shouting 'oi pillock SLOW DOWN' at an assortment of passing boats!

Anyone remember this back in 2008? :default_rofl::594c04ff2c94f_default_policesmiley:

A point for the location.

IMG_1898.JPG

I can see the point of view of the person putting the sign up, and have some sympathy for him/her, but I agree that it's not the best way forwards. I also agree with Timbo (I usually do) that anyone filming me and distributing that film would, if I didn't like the film, risk the full weight of my wrath. I have, in extreme cases, been known to tut very loudly and roll my eyes to the heavens.

I remember the sunken boat issue at the pub a few years ago, It was an occasion where the NBF actually came through with honours, it was a time to be proud of, so much so I am content to call it thus. (rather than "the other place")

Should such a thing happen again I'm sure there would be a similar response from either or both forums.

• Like 4

If I read this correct the BA have erected a 5mph sign.... what's a legal sign...

Someone has fixed an illegal sign to the legal sign what is total illegal.. as its not an legal sign but an illegal one... So defacing an legal sign with an illegal sign is totally illegal... Oh by the way keep your speed down ha ha ha....

• Like 1

I think the radar speed check sign is probably the one at Irstead.

As has been suggested before, pointing a hair dryer or spotlight at an oncoming speeding boat usually has a rather good effect. Shouting doesn't do very much as the helmsman is usually in his/her own little world and probably can't hear above the engine noise in a lot of cases. If they do hear, they either wave or do something with their fingers which I don't understand! 

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I heard a story long ago, that there was once a sign which was put up at the gates of an RAF base. it said:

MINISTRY OF DEFENSE.

It is forbidden to throw stones at this notice.

I would think the sign actually said,.    Ministry of Defence,    :default_biggrin:

20 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

The annoyance of  wash from some speeding boats and the ability to shake hands with the crew passing two feet from my boat on a sixty foot plus wide river is more than offset by the ability to moor on the river rather than being packed in a marina :default_biggrin:

Hi Mark,

I can never understand why the Broads Authority have not reduced the speed limit were you are moored from 6 to 5 mph, the 5 mph section just after the Ferry House Inn almost extends halfway to Bramerton? There doesn't seem rhyme nor reason to it.

Regards 

Alan

• Like 1

I know I'm going to get slaughtered for this but, I have yet to see a boat on the plane on the broads, hire boats have sewing machine engines in them, 5,6,7 knots,  does it matter , if you have a problem with a few ripples, ever thought of caravaning ? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lastdraft said:

I know I'm going to get slaughtered for this but, I have yet to see a boat on the plane on the broads, hire boats have sewing machine engines in them, 5,6,7 knots,  does it matter , if you have a problem with a few ripples, ever thought of caravaning ? 

It's not generally boats on the plane that create problems, more likely planing hulls just off the plane. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lastdraft said:

Can be make quite a difference if you are moored and happen to be carrying a hot cup of coffee/tea etc  and someone comes  past at speed.

• Like 1