Dog Poo Bags

andy

I am a dog owner and i clear up her mess by putting it in a poo bag and putting it in a bin. I don't hang it on trees or shrubs or throw it out of the boat.

So why do some people think that just because they've done the hard bit by cleaning the poo up its ok to then hang it up like Christmas decorations all over the place.

NOT NICE DOG OWNER'S put it in a bin. you have come to the Norfolk broads for the scenery not Christmas decorations.

• Like 2

On our local news once im sure it said your better off not picking it up rather than leaving full poo bags all over the place!  Now I can see why that is the case but really, is that good advice?  Er NO

Personally I think its a very easy to grasp concept by most people over the age of 7. 

pick it up and put it in a bin, and if there isnt a bin hold onto it till there is. 

• Like 2

It really annoys me to see poo bags in trees etc what's wrong with people !! Considering how rural Norfolk is and the amount of animals that actually eat dog poo such as horses and cows launching a used poo bag is plain and simply irresponsible , the animals can still smell it and will eat  it along with the bag and that can and does lead to a painful death , personally I don't think there are enough poo bins but I accept that its a major expense for any council and people should be more responsible for their actions , I can virtually guarantee if I walk around whitlingham great broad with no less than 4 poo bins I will find at least 2-3 on any day that are in the undergrowth .

Much more enforcement is required and I'm not above following people to get their address or car reg after photographing the act of not picking it up or worse  launching a poo bag , but even  then its difficult for the council to take action .

Apologies for being a bit graphic about a smelly subject  .

Poop bags...one of my pet hates, Pun intended. I just don't get bag hangers or the types that roam woodlands and fields armed with a plastic bag full of dog crap destined for landfill. At least the Forestry Commission have seen sense and given guidance to the bewildered dog owner. It's quite simple. If your dog lays a toffee on the pavement, pick it up in a poop bag and then dispose of the bag in a designated poop bin or your home dustbin. However, if you are out in the middle of a forest use a stick to flick the offending dog toffee from off of the footpath and into the trees.

I know it's wrong of me, but I can get the right hump with the occasional 'townie' I come across while I'm out walking. Last week there was the lady in the floral open-toed sandals bending my ear about an offending 'toffee'. So incensed had she become about the dog crap, which was actually fox crap, that she stepped back straight into a large deposit made by the 'beautiful white horse almost like a unicorn' she had been admiring earlier. You should all know me by now and realise I couldn't resist.
"That's supposed to be lucky Mrs!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Thank you Ricardo, I have just been put off beef!

As the owner of a public footpath I well know the problems of poo bags being hung on trees and hedges, it doesn't really say much for the intelligence of some dog owners.

Sorry :41_pensive:

7 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Thank you Ricardo, I have just been put off beef!

As the owner of a public footpath I well know the problems of poo bags being hung on trees and hedges, it doesn't really say much for the intelligence of some dog owners.

SNAP! My long gravel drive is part of the Paston Way. At my house it turns to grass for about another 80 metres then goes across the fields. I have put up signs and even told the Parish Council that I will stop maintenance and mowing. Short of CCTV what can I do? Trouble was I lost vigilance when Judith was so very ill at home and am now paying for it. 

Well wardens lie in wait to pounce on the public throwing cigarette butt ends on the pavement and fine them £80 a time so why not also where an area is well known for this behaviour just lurk about and do the same.    A few fines of £80 and they will think twice about it.

Wardens all wear body cams so any nonsense it will be recorded.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

SNAP! My long gravel drive is part of the Paston Way. At my house it turns to grass for about another 80 metres then goes across the fields. I have put up signs and even told the Parish Council that I will stop maintenance and mowing. Short of CCTV what can I do? Trouble was I lost vigilance when Judith was so very ill at home and am now paying for it. 

CCTV is probably your answer Chris. One of my friends lives in a house immediately next door to acres and acres of grass, woodland and down. The wide open spaces are frequented by dog walkers in their hundreds. Yet for all of the open spaces, and the four dog craps bins located by the entrance to the open countryside the majority of the dog owners were letting their animals crap on the pavement or on the drive outside of my friend's house.

Sick to death of wading through the crap everytime he wanted to leave his house my friend fitted CCTV. He would record the doings of the dog walkers leaving their dog's doings and send the footage to the council, together with the name and address of the culprit (it's a small town). The council for once did their part and levied fines on all those identified.

The result? The dog walkers now let their dogs crap on the pavements either side of the field of view of the cameras. 

• Thanks 2

My own personal pet peeve on the topic of pet stuff (and as you all know we have four darlings) is that of cat stuff. Toxocariasis which is the disease which caused all of the furore about dog poo years ago before the actual stuff being everywhere and stinking up parks and paths all over the place became the issue, it used to be the contents of the stuff. (stuff = pick your own word I don't mind)

We were bombarded with information about how dangerous it is and how irresponsible dog owners were for not worming their pets, despite the fact that both cats and dogs can carry this parasite and cause infection.

Info below: 

Toxocariasis is a nematode infection caused by Toxocara canis/cati (Dog/Cat Roundworm).

It's acquired via ingestion of parasite eggs passed by infected dogs or cats.  The hatched larva migrate from the GI tract to the muscles, liver, lungs, eyes, or brain.  For details & symptoms:  http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/229855-overview

Funny thing is though when you research how many cases there are of this horrible disease there aren't in fact that many and never have been. However what there are many many more times the cases of is Toxoplasmosis. This is usually picked up gardening when little timmy has done his stuff (after the neutered Tom has done his duty killing local song birds that is) in next doors garden and then kindly burried it so nobody can see it.

The reason is toxocariasis cases have dropped through the floor to the point where NHS England no longer collects information on infection rates. Whereas toxoplasmosis is rampant all over the place with infection rates somewhere between 23 to 33% of people infected depending on region. Its usually asymptomatic (doesn't show itself) but it IS there.

Info below:

Toxoplasmosis is a protozoan infection caused by Toxoplasma gondii. 

It's acquired via contact with infected cat feces.  At risk are pregnant women who transmit the infection to their newborn, causing congenital neurologic & ophthalmologic birth defects.  For details & symptoms:  http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1000028-overview 

Anyone seen any articles about the dangers to the public of irresponsible cat owners recently ? No me neither, I just wonder why...

For the sake of argument there are almost as many cats as dogs held as pets (not quite equal but heading that way), I for one would like to see the same kind of media campaign that was there in the seventies concerning dog mess and the dangers of un wormed dogs to now be used to educate cat owners as to the genuine danger their pets pose to others when they are not treated for this parasite.

Pet population info:

http://www.pfma.org.uk/pet-population-2015/

We can all do something to prevent infection, always use rubber gloves to garden, always cover sand pits so Timmy does not have access when its not in use, don't feed your cat uncooked meat (big source of infections), have them treated at the vet and don't push them out the front door at night. The latter one has the added benefit of saving local birds. Unfortunately neutered cats are the worst offenders for bird killing (it's to do with social development and "presenting" food to parents). And when cats are neutered they stay in the immature stage of development and so keep doing it. Vicious circle really. Not sure if hormone replacement therapy for cats would get them out of this stage it just struck me as a wild though...lol  

Anyway lots to think about there as well as poo bags strewn across the countryside like the knickers i used to find walking our first Airedale, the long missed "Barney", down a disused railway line every saturday morning. Pink ones, lacey ones, some black and lacey, mostly hanging from the branches of the trees. The local dog walkers used to think it was hilarious, what was less hilarious were the other discarded items responsible couples used after throwing their knickers into the trees. They were everywhere too. Come to think about it (steady on) it could have been a local "dogging" spot in more ways than one.

Happy Monday folks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Malanka said:

My own personal pet peeve on the topic of pet stuff (and as you all know we have four darlings) is that of cat stuff. Toxocariasis which is the disease which caused all of the furore about dog poo years ago before the actual stuff being everywhere and stinking up parks and paths all over the place became the issue, it used to be the contents of the stuff. (stuff = pick your own word I don't mind)

We were bombarded with information about how dangerous it is and how irresponsible dog owners were for not worming their pets, despite the fact that both cats and dogs can carry this parasite and cause infection.

Info below: 

Toxocariasis is a nematode infection caused by Toxocara canis/cati (Dog/Cat Roundworm).

It's acquired via ingestion of parasite eggs passed by infected dogs or cats.  The hatched larva migrate from the GI tract to the muscles, liver, lungs, eyes, or brain.  For details & symptoms:  http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/229855-overview

Funny thing is though when you research how many cases there are of this horrible disease there aren't in fact that many and never have been. However what there are many many more times the cases of is Toxoplasmosis. This is usually picked up gardening when little timmy has done his stuff (after the neutered Tom has done his duty killing local song birds that is) in next doors garden and then kindly burried it so nobody can see it.

The reason is toxocariasis cases have dropped through the floor to the point where NHS England no longer collects information on infection rates. Whereas toxoplasmosis is rampant all over the place with infection rates somewhere between 23 to 33% of people infected depending on region. Its usually asymptomatic (doesn't show itself) but it IS there.

Info below:

Toxoplasmosis is a protozoan infection caused by Toxoplasma gondii. 

It's acquired via contact with infected cat feces.  At risk are pregnant women who transmit the infection to their newborn, causing congenital neurologic & ophthalmologic birth defects.  For details & symptoms:  http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1000028-overview 

Anyone seen any articles about the dangers to the public of irresponsible cat owners recently ? No me neither, I just wonder why...

For the sake of argument there are almost as many cats as dogs held as pets (not quite equal but heading that way), I for one would like to see the same kind of media campaign that was there in the seventies concerning dog mess and the dangers of un wormed dogs to now be used to educate cat owners as to the genuine danger their pets pose to others when they are not treated for this parasite.

Pet population info:

http://www.pfma.org.uk/pet-population-2015/

We can all do something to prevent infection, always use rubber gloves to garden, always cover sand pits so Timmy does not have access when its not in use, don't feed your cat uncooked meat (big source of infections), have them treated at the vet and don't push them out the front door at night. The latter one has the added benefit of saving local birds. Unfortunately neutered cats are the worst offenders for bird killing (it's to do with social development and "presenting" food to parents). And when cats are neutered they stay in the immature stage of development and so keep doing it. Vicious circle really. Not sure if hormone replacement therapy for cats would get them out of this stage it just struck me as a wild though...lol  

Anyway lots to think about there as well as poo bags strewn across the countryside like the knickers i used to find walking our first Airedale, the long missed "Barney", down a disused railway line every saturday morning. Pink ones, lacey ones, some black and lacey, mostly hanging from the branches of the trees. The local dog walkers used to think it was hilarious, what was less hilarious were the other discarded items responsible couples used after throwing their knickers into the trees. They were everywhere too. Come to think about it (steady on) it could have been a local "dogging" spot in more ways than one.

Happy Monday folks. 

Thanks for that Malanka.

I wish my nutty neighbours would get those facts into their thick heads. They have complained to the police about me giving cats a squirt of water to deter them from burying their filthy mess in my vegetable patch. I have had to give up growing veg in my garden in case of infection, the parasite can exist dormant in the soil for years. The police agreed with me that my neighbours were nuts and just made a note for their files. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Malanka said:

This is usually picked up gardening when little timmy has done his stuff (after the neutered Tom has done his duty killing local song birds that is) in next doors garden and then kindly burried it so nobody can see it.

I do not! :default_huh:

My family always called me 'Timmy'. My rather 'well to do Aunt' took me shopping in Fenwicks in Newcastle.
"Yoohoo! Timmy darling!" she called me across the store. 
I was sixteen and was not going to answer.
"Yoohoo! Timmy Darling!" she called again as Geordies started scoping out the store for the unfortunate Timmy. 
"I say, Timmy darling!" she was getting insistent and folks were now actively staring.
Eventually, she caught up with me, and the assembled Toon Army sniggered and pointed.

• Haha 2

Back to dogs again. We used to use the 'flicking method', in fact we had a store of neatly cut 'flickers'! Now being somewhat decrepit, bending down/over and trying to flick has become difficult. I am rather glad that we don't use that method anymore and use bags instead. It's all very well flicking into long grass or into woods but kids tend to stray off into those places too for one reason or another. I now think that anywhere a body could get to should be clear of doggy doings, particularly footpaths in the countryside. Ok, so you may have to carry a bagfull on most of your walk, tough. Think about where young families may walk and where kids may stray to, think about where a buggy or wheelchair may be pushed. I get very cross when someone has left thir dog's mess right in the middle of a footpath. Morons! Yes, I feel very strongly about this subject and if I offend anyone by carrying a liitle black bag with me, so be it.

On a lighter note, I read a story once of a lady who walked her dog regularly and religiously cleared up after it. She didn't like to be seen carrying the little black bag so used an old handbag to carry it in. One day a cyclist pedalled past her furiously and snatched the handbag........................:default_norty: Serve him right!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

Back to dogs again. We used to use the 'flicking method', in fact we had a store of neatly cut 'flickers'! Now being somewhat decrepit, bending down/over and trying to flick has become difficult. I am rather glad that we don't use that method anymore and use bags instead. It's all very well flicking into long grass or into woods but kids tend to stray off into those places too for one reason or another. I now think that anywhere a body could get to should be clear of doggy doings, particularly footpaths in the countryside. Ok, so you may have to carry a bagfull on most of your walk, tough. Think about where young families may walk and where kids may stray to, think about where a buggy or wheelchair may be pushed. I get very cross when someone has left thir dog's mess right in the middle of a footpath. Morons! Yes, I feel very strongly about this subject and if I offend anyone by carrying a liitle black bag with me, so be it.

On a lighter note, I read a story once of a lady who walked her dog regularly and religiously cleared up after it. She didn't like to be seen carrying the little black bag so used an old handbag to carry it in. One day a cyclist pedalled past her furiously and snatched the handbag........................:default_norty: Serve him right!

This happend to well known Crufts Judge (Peggy Grayson IIRC), She was out walking her dogs when her Harrods carrier bag was stolen, she did hope the thieves put their hands in first without looking....

I followed a car with a dog in it down the coltishall road a few day ago, hanging from the tow hook was a.... little black plastic bag witth a small load in it.

• Like 1

I would like to say I'm a responsible Dog Owner or should I say  Six months old Puppy at this Time . It makes me Angry of some of the Irresponsible Dog Owners cannot be bothered take there Friends for Life Dog out for walks instead asking there Children to take them out for a Walks after School and guess what they forget to take Poo Bags as they just let the Dog Foul the Paths in Woodlands or on the Street Pavements. This is a National problem that needs to be put on TV to show theses mind less Idiots not to leave Dogs unwanted Poo's around any where except in the Bins provided.

Andrew Cook        

We live on a fairly new estate, which is criss crossed by footpaths. These were insisted on  during the planning stages by the fire brigade to facillitate access in case parked vehicles blocked the way. The police didn' want them as they can be used as rat runs and they are a real nuisance as all they seem to be used for is for people to allow their dogs to mess and wee. They are horrible to walk through as they smell terrible. There's one just opposite our house and recently while he was pressure washing our drive Tony gave the concrete bollards at the entrance to the footpath a good clean around their bases removing the deposit of goodness knows how many dogs cocked legs! Apart from smelling a lot more pleasant it also looked better. But we've yet to solve the problem of  neighbour's cats using my rockery as a toilet. It's really horrible.

Carole

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, addicted said:

We live on a fairly new estate, which is criss crossed by footpaths. These were insisted on  during the planning stages by the fire brigade to facillitate access in case parked vehicles blocked the way. The police didn' want them as they can be used as rat runs and they are a real nuisance as all they seem to be used for is for people to allow their dogs to mess and wee. They are horrible to walk through as they smell terrible. There's one just opposite our house and recently while he was pressure washing our drive Tony gave the concrete bollards at the entrance to the footpath a good clean around their bases removing the deposit of goodness knows how many dogs cocked legs! Apart from smelling a lot more pleasant it also looked better. But we've yet to solve the problem of  neighbour's cats using my rockery as a toilet. It's really horrible.

Carole

Tea bags soaked in neat Jeys Fluid can help, just make sure that the rain cannot wash it onto your plants. You could also try small sticks pushed in the rockery about a foot apart deters cats as they like to circle the area before depositing their filthy mess. There are also some cunning  gismos that you connect to the mains water supply. When the motion sensor detects something it soaks the offending animal. It is totally legal and harmless to the animal and they soon get the message and mess somewhere else, hopefully in their owner's garden.   :default_smile:

Some strong Jeys Fluid from a watering can over the bollards and surrounding area may deter dogs.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

My marsh piece which is a Beretta 12g semi-auto would make a very good deterent loaded with a 3" 4SG. 

Fine as long as you aim it at the owners not the animal !!!