Taking The Mole!

Baitrunner

Having been on a one man mission to catch the little devil that is trashing my front lawn for several months I didn't think I had become obsessed. 

maybe I have though!!!

the wife was unusually insistent I checked  my mole traps today. normally she doesn't care. 

Oh how I laughed when I went to check the traps.

someone is taking the wee:default_drinks:

IMG_0557.thumb.JPG.00a0911aaeb7e446670d355bfcda97b0.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Having been on a one man mission to catch the little devil that is trashing my front lawn for several months I didn't think I had become obsessed. 
maybe I have though!!!
the wife was unusually insistent I checked  my mole traps today. normally she doesn't care. 

Haha, I like that a lot.
When we had moles (or perhaps a mole) someone suggested sticking kids windmills in the ground (the little plastic ones on a stick). I thought they were taking the Mick but I tried it and the moles did move on. Allegedly they don’t like the vibration.
This is where you say you tried that and it made no difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

There you go
Dairyshop 10pcs Colorful Plastic Pinwheel Wind Spinner windmill Wedding Kid Party Supplies https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0742DXRCB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_tykcAb9ZSS24E
Unless you want a trip to the seaside in which case the ones off the internet don’t work and you need the ones from the seaside
A stick stuck in the ground (like a two foot bamboo cane) with a plastic bottle upturned on the top of it allegedly works too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

A true tale that I have posted before:

The following is the very true tale of an amateur mole catcher. I was moored up near St Olaves and the land owner, a friend of mine, was trying to gas the numerous moles that were plaguing him. Whilst most of us might use pellets, or the exhaust fumes from a tractor, the gentleman in question was emptying the contents of a calor gas cylinder down the burrows. It might have seemed a good idea at the time, until, when he'd finished, he lit up his pipe and threw the match down to the ground. There was no bang as such, just a roar, his prized bit of grass was quickly turned into an intricate trench system, such as had not seen since the 1914/1918 war. I may be mistaken, but I'm quite certain that I heard the scream of an airborne mole as it passed overhead, realising that it didn't have it's lifejacket on and was headed for the river. Okay, so that last sentence is entirely fictional;)!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

15 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Oh Peter, I haven’t laughed so much for ages.  Reminiscent of the laughs Morcambe and Wise brought on in their classic Christmas shows (the first time of watching them when you weren’t knowing what was coming next). Classic tale!

Concerning M and W, this has to be my favourite clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqn2lnx9SbI

Now I have 2 moles to catch. 

If by any chance they do have names like Eric and Ernie I shall let you know. 

In the meantime I shall be turning the front lawn over to kids windmills and coke bottles. 

I shall probably try and avoid the gas option. Although it would be blooming funny. :default_dunce: well to swmbo anyway. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Got to ask Peter did it get rid of the Mole problem after such drastic action.   Hilarious.   Thank you for sharing.

Long term, no.

13 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

maybe I have though!!!

Made me laugh, brought back good memories too. Back in time I managed the caravan site at Burgh St Peter, Waveney Inn. One of my favourite customers was Harry, something of a character, very much an Alf Garnett, an East End 'Jew Boy' through and through and a very fine furrier. Harry's caravan was his escape from the City, the garden around his van his pride and joy. Harry would arrive every Friday evening, still dressed in the formal morning dress suit that was his trade's 'uniform'. 

I'm not sure if Saturday mornings were Harry's happy hour or not, inevitably he would gravitate down to the shop to buy a loaf and a packet of fags, taking the opportunity to complain about the rabbits that devastated his garden despite the wire netting fence  around his little kingdom. Okay, Harry, you can use your gun, just don't shoot anyone. Harry very quickly developed a seven o'clock in the morning routine, opening his caravan door and surveying his flower beds and if a rabbit happened to be around then blasting it to kingdom come and waking his immediate neighbours. 

Back then concrete garden ornaments were a good little earner so inevitably I stocked a few, including some 'rabbits', an evil thought crossed my mind although I didn't anticipate the outcome! I primed other caravan owners, I would put a concrete rabbit in amongst Harry's flowers. There we were, peering around the corners of the nearby caravans. On the dot of seven Harry's door opens,  Harry standing there in his pyjamas,  the front of which was not as well adjusted as it might have been and yes, Harry was obviously Jewish!  There was that 'rabbit', Harry grabbed his gun, bang, shards of concrete and cheers from his fellow caravaners.  Harry had been had, but he took it all in the spirit of the morning but inevitably expressing himself in true Alf Garnett style. How we all loved that man!

• Haha 5

SInce we operate gliders from a grass airfield we have significant issues with moles...

After the Winter break our runway can look like its turned into the alps.

Here (I dunno about the UK) the damn** moles are a protected species!  However an exemption is granted to "remove" them from operation areas such as our runway - which is over 100m wide & 1km long.  Our mole expert uses gadgets that have a gas cartridge inserted.  When it goes off it turns the mole into gulash.  Does the trick - could play croquet on the runway this Summer!

• Thanks 1

We used to be plagued with moles in our last garden. My father in law (who I don't think liked me much) helpfully suggested that I burn a "mole candle" in one of the runs and he just happened to have a spare one.  This thing was like a firework and on a still summer evening, I lit the blue touch paper, shoved the candle down into a fresh mole hill and awaited results. Within a minute the garden had turned from peaceful tranquility to a smoke-filled hell, as the acrid and probably toxic fumes came up from the tunnels under my feet, irritating my eyes to the point where I couldn't see and making me cough uncontrollably. Somehow I staggered back to the house and fell in through the door, then groped my way to the bathroom to wash the smoke out of my eyes.  In my blindness, I was only aware of the sound of laughter. Not sure whether it came from our kids, who witnessed the event, the moles or both.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2