Anyone Afloat Today

CambridgeCabby

Just going down to Yalding to winterise the Calypso,  why is it always so cold when we winterise boats :default_biggrin:.

Going up to Norfolkland wednesday for a few days and will probably have the little Scorpio taken out and stored. I usually wait until after our New Year visit but I think we might have a cold one this year.

Whitey will have heaters added,  the dehumidifier has been in since mid October. Water will be drained but it will be used over winter, it takes 15 minutes to make habitable.  I have a few trips up planned before March.

Just came back from Norfolk after a long day cleaning through the boat, draining the water system, putting a heater in the engine bay and cleaning the canopy. We didnt have time last week when we picked the boat up.  We did however put the dehumidifier in last week. Worked an absolute treat. Very frosty this morning when we arrived and the was no condensation anywhere and the saloon was lovely and toasty. Best £159 we could have spent.    

• Like 4

We were out on the Yare today for a few hours, it was  pretty quiet on the water and the wind was light so it was a pleasant cruise. Once back on the mooring, water tank drained, fuel tank topped, 2 x tube heaters in engine bay and we are ready for winter.

Were there any other boats at Ranworth apart from yourself and The Corsican? I was tempted to pop over there by car a couple of weeks ago just to see if the Broad was empty ... would love to see it and to get a photo with absolutely no boats there at all. Don't ask me why, other than as such a contrast to what must be one of the most popular and busy moorings all season.

• Like 1

It's not that time of year already is it? It's not December yet or have the Nogs got something to tell us. Howard had better not have snuck off to Norfolk quiet and peacefully without telling me :default_eusa_naughty:

Seriously though, I think that's a pic from another 'Quiet and Peaceful' series. My favourite holiday tales of all time :default_wink:

Grace

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Seriously though, I think that's a pic from another 'Quiet and Peaceful' series. My favourite holiday tales of all time :default_wink:

Grace

Hmmm not sure about that, the picture and I’m sure I saw mention of being in Thurne Lion in another thread..... puts the little grey matter into overdrive 

• Like 1

I am really looking forward to this winter as I have reduced my working hours. The boat is now in 'winter configuration' but will be hopefully getting a lot of use between now and the start of next season. I say hopefully because we don't know what sort of winter is in store but I am hoping for plenty of crisp bright days.

3 hours ago, Gracie said:

It's not that time of year already is it? It's not December yet or have the Nogs got something to tell us. Howard had better not have snuck off to Norfolk quiet and peacefully without telling me :default_eusa_naughty:

Grace

Aw thank you Grace, you're a sweetheart :default_icon_kiss:

Sorry, that was from last year :default_biggrin:

However watch this space.............:default_norty:

Sorry CC, don't want to interupt your thread  :default_icon_redface: 

• Like 4

We winterized Respite 3 weeks ago but we will be up and using her over the winter. Still have the tube heater to fit we have never had one before as we have moored south so no frozen water. She will be used as a as a base as she is toasty overnight

• Like 2

Talking of winter, more and more relay upon tube heaters to keep their engine bays above freezing - and they do work. Indeed on Independence I have a massive one :default_dry: (engine room and tube heater) but the issue is you don't want it on 24hrs so you can have a timer, but then you think how about if had a thermostat only need come on if temperature drops below a set amount but then what happens if you run out of credit, or the supply trips - you are blissfully unaware of this and it does not take many days and nights of below freezing to potentially cause some very costly damage to an engine and ancillaries.

I have ordered one of these:

iSocket-HomeGuard-home-security-system-U

It is a smart socket that takes a SIM card. It can monitor temperature, and has a thermostat too and can notify you via text message in the event of power cut. You can send it a text message to remotely turn on or off connected equipment and can text you back  information about the temperature in the room.  It can also send  temperature rise and fall alerts to your phone too.

Using a special connector, you can add the various sensors. e.g a  message would be be sent when such a sensor that is connected  is triggered - such as  motion, or doors opening, fire, gas leakage etc (these you need to get separately and area available here) A built-in microphone allows you to hear what is happening in the room if you call the socket. All in all pretty decent, made in Finland of all places. Just under £130.00 http://amzn.eu/7AtPx96 

• Like 1

That's amazing! Anyone see Michael McIntyre on Saturday? He did what I thought was a really funny bit about whether or not you would leave home without your mobile phones, and all the things we store on them. I guess that having one of these would be one reason not to leave it behind!

On 26 November 2017 at 10:25, 40something said:

I am really looking forward to this winter as I have reduced my working hours. The boat is now in 'winter configuration' but will be hopefully getting a lot of use between now and the start of next season. I say hopefully because we don't know what sort of winter is in store but I am hoping for plenty of crisp bright days.

And me matey , and me ...... :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

Hello all.

Have been down to Horning this weekend to winterise GK. It is a task that seems to get harder and longer to do each year, luckily I had my crew to help me. Did all the usual stuff like tube heaters in eng room, drain down fresh water, drain crap from bottom of diesel tank, fill the diesel tank for winter ( stops condensation and therefore water in the tank ), bagged up all soft furnishings, and so on and so forth. had about 25 individual items on the list to do.

It was so cold on friday night, there was a hard frost in Horning overnight, managed to keep the boat warm but condensation dripping from the aluminium window frames and onto the bed was a nightmare, if someone could only invent a way to prevent this happening they would have a large market to tap into. We chickened out of another night on board, so spent saturday getting all the jobs done, had a carvery in the Ferry Inn then headed for home.

We are moving moorings next spring, leaving ferry marina behind and moving to Brundall. Considerably cheaper, hopefully a bit quicker to drive to from home and more peaceful. I have to admit I will miss my favourite places on the northern broads like wild moorings on the Ant, barton broad, sutton Staithe etc ( will not miss the wacky races at Ludham Bridge when last september I nearly got clobbered by a bathtub coming full throttle the other way just as I got GK's bow into the bridge hole and before you ask, no it was not a hire boat !! ) but look forward to exploring the south and discovering some good eateries. Have already tried the Yare, rushcutters, new inn........all very good, in fact the rushcutters at cantley was a big and pleasant surprise, lovely food and good value too.

So GK is now all tucked up for winter, I have someone keeping an eye on her who will visit every couple of weeks to pump the bilges and make sure the tube heaters are still working etc. Then it will be down again in February, get some outstanding maintenance jobs done on her, all ready for the move south just before easter.

have a good Christmas y'all and see you about next year.

cheers

Trev.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I would be more worried about getting a phone signal than the marina power going off :default_biggrin:

I was amazed at how good the phone signal was this year, previously it’s been terrible, but I’m on o2, and had at least 3G pretty much everywhere on the Northern Broads, including previous black holes like Salhouse etc...

• Like 1