One Rule For Them?/

kadensa

Can i ask why Snowy's post on the 'Anyone watching Russels latest Vlogs' post was censored (apparently) for the use of a word whose meanings include ' an undercarriage with four or six wheels pivoted beneath the end of a railway vehicle' whilst JennyMorgan's use of the words bugger and buggers is  deemed acceptable?

• Confused 1

Whilst working bailing the water from our rapidly sinking boat boat we whistled the tune Colonel ***** . in order to keep our spirits up. Just saying there are a variety of contexts for the use of this word. It is all about perception, and for some people, perception is reality. If some people are offended by the use of certain words, the correct thing for those who police this forum might be to remove the word. As a new member I am very careful to avoid anything that might be perceived as offensive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nowadays I think there is a difference between swearing, and the use of certain words to emphasise emotion.

Words which were once considered offensive are now simply phonetic. This can include the F - word if its use in the sentence is emphatic, and alliterative.

What is swearing? Is it anti- religion, or does it refer to certain un-mentionable bodily functions? Like Peter, I sometimes use certain words, now common in our vernacular, to improve the flow, or thrust, of an opinion I am trying to put forward. One of my favourites, when describing my view of the latest EDP article, is translated by the forum swear filter as DAFFODILS!

By the way Cadensa, nice to hear from from you again, since the last time you took offence on here for no apparent reason. Perhaps I can take this opportunity to offer you a Happy Christmas?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

bummer, you mean I can't say bogey on the forum, my life will surely come to an end.

Are you sure that it was censored by the mods, or was it simply picked up by the forum software filter, over which I doubt our mods have much influence. Is there something about Jenny's Norfukkian dialect which causes you offence kadensa, if so I'm sure the mods will look at your concerns. Or are you just trying to stir the "faeces" (again)?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I personally think there's very rarely anything offensive posted on here in the way of swear words, we are all grown ups and know that there are words that can cause offence but written in the right context like trying to get a passionate opinion across can be quite powerful. I don't know if you may have noticed through some of my posts I have quite a flirtatious nature but it doesn't mean I'm going to bonk everything in sight unless of course they are in uniform :default_norty: Seriously though, there are a lot worse things going on in the world to worry about that the odd swear word, if anyone feels a tad delicate about the odd profanity I suggest you never go to a football match or be present when our pesky Mod Charlie falls in the drink :default_norty:

Now if you'll excuse me I'm just about to take my effing meds lol

Grace

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Heard (from quite  a distance) outside Aldi in Pitsea this morning: Woman bellowing at her two children aged about 3 and 4, "Will you f***ing get out from behind that f***ing dirty f***ing bin, you don't f***ing know what's behind it!".  I despair for humanity, I really do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Probably shouldn`t comment given my thoughts on reaction to a couple of recent posts but I feel this forum is becoming to precocious and PC to be of any real value as anything other than a hail fellow well met club, while I am all in favour of the convivial and helpful content of the forum we live in an adult world that is not all roses, I thought this was supposed to be the under moderated forum.

Fred

• Like 7

As it happens the colourful language is one of the many reasons I have never accompanied hubby to a football match! And I am one of those people who dislikes bad language and sees it as totally unnecessary. However one does have to seem to accept that it has become everyday language for some folk. 

There is always the "off" switch is one becomes too offended.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Heard (from quite  a distance) outside Aldi in Pitsea this morning: Woman bellowing at her two children aged about 3 and 4, "Will you f***ing get out from behind that f***ing dirty f***ing bin, you don't f***ing know what's behind it!".  I despair for humanity, I really do.

Now that IS disgusting, I have never and never will swear at my kids, how on earth will those little one's grow up to be decent human beings?? And if that's going on in public what on earth is going on behind closed doors

Grace

• Like 4

And then the children just copy their parents as heard whilst walking to work one morning.  Protesting child aged max 6 saying to parent "I don't want to go to bl**dy school" - Not that offensive if an adult but for such a young child to say.....

• Sad 1

Yes, but is that really a swearword any more, when its context is simply phonetic. I am aware that the origin of this expression can be (loosely) attached to the Bible, but I am reminded of one of its much quoted references from Genesis 1 : 3.

This was translated by the Latin Vulgate Bible as " Distinque Deus fiat lux et facta est lux".

The version I learned in the Army went like this :

And on the third day the Lord sayeth "Let there be light!" 

Whereupon there was light.

And you could see for bloody miles!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Liz, I've heard similar a couple of times, it breaks my heart. We, as members of a forum with people from different walks of life the odd bad word or offensive post is inevitable and as Jean says you can always turn your computer off but parents swearing at children is a another level completely, totally wrong and criminal in my opinion

Grace

• Like 2

I have not been on this forum for very long at all, SO FAR I find it very polite. For a while I was on a Broads related Facebook page and that was an entirely different experience. No names mentioned but the level of insulting, racist and homophobic language was well out of order. Most posts degenerated into pseudo-political mud slinging by people with fairly frightening opinions. When I challenged one of the posts I was met with a  volley of abuse and personal attacks. Hopefully I will never meet these people in reality. So to those who police this group, I say a big well-done. If a word might offend someone, it is best for it to be removed, that way conflict is avoided.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

you also have to remember the other reason that such language is moderated, and that is the fact that the general section of the forum is family friendly, so as such it is preferred that strong language is avoided, to keep things child safe, and while some people dont find swearing and such a problem, others do. no matter what youngsters may see on other social media, they should be safe from it here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, grendel said:

you also have to remember the other reason that such language is moderated, and that is the fact that the general section of the forum is family friendly, so as such it is preferred that strong language is avoided, to keep things child safe, and while some people dont find swearing and such a problem, others do. no matter what youngsters may see on other social media, they should be safe from it here.

Thank you Peter, you have just stopped me from what might have been a flippant reply to others!

But then, going back to the start of this thread, is bogey a swearword? Or is it, for some reason, a natural and universal bodily function that we are "supposed" not to talk about? 

I bet if you asked any child in a school playground what a bogey is, they would all be able to tell you!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grendel said:

I suppose we could say its something that is not talked about in polite company, and when you consider the original post that started this one - in that context could have been an embarrassment to the person whose video was being discussed.

That's fair enough!  :default_icon_bowdown: