Hello All

Jovril

Hi All

Firstly a Happy New Year to everyone.

I have been lurking and enjoying much of the information you all put on the forum and have seen most of the Captains Blogs, especially his latest adventure with “Independence”.

We are thinking about a boat purchase this year (not the size of “Independence) but as total newbies not sure exactly what we want or should be looking for so I hope you will not mind if we ask some questions that to you may seem simple and sometime stupid but to will I am sure help us tremendously as you obviously have a wealth of knowledge that we hope to tap into.

Until our first stupid questions.

All the best

John

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Jovril, you have come to the right place for info - tons of it here. You say you are newbies but I guess that is for purchasing a boat, presumably you have hired for a while? Was there one particular boat style that you took to and would like to own or have you got open minds? 

As already stated, there are no stupid questions so just ask away. I hope you find something suitable and can start enjoying the Broads asap. 

Thanks all for you welcome messages.

Hi Vanessan

Yes we have hired previously but have no fixed idea about boat style.

As we are looking at one mainly for two of us with occasional 4 berth requirement then we’re thinking about aft cockpit boat but open to any alternative.

I suppose our budget may dictate from those on offer.

John

Welcome Jovril.  Im a newbie too.  Try not to do what we did in rushing to buy a boat that you want to change a few weeks later! We should have looked at more boats before buying to get a better idea of what we really wanted and needed.  Its all worked out well in the end as we got a different boat. 

Hello John,

Welcome to the forum, please ask away, there are no stupid questions, beware of some of the answers however.

This time of year is a good time to be checking out boats, there should be deals around. You need to decide on a style of boat and then start checking out the dealers. 

It might be an idea to go one some of the emailing lists, NYA email me on their boats available, but there are a number of other lists. 

Check out the boats on your wish list both on the Broads and elsewhere in the country, do not buy anything without a full survey.

Regards

Alan 

Welcome from me what kind of boat,how long is a piece of string?It depends on how much you want to spend how many cabins new or old etc. As Alan said get on a few mailing lists such as NYA,NBS etc.Visit boat yards ie Herbert  Woods.Pay a visit to the London boat show.One thing for sure you get a good feeling when you find the right boat.

Ian 

A good starting point is go for the biggest boat you can afford to purchase, moor, licence, like and most importantly handle. If you stick to that maxim you should end up with one that suits your needs. If you get one too small for you then it is a problem, on a boat you can never have too much space.

Not the be all and end all by any means but it is a good starting point. I made the mistake when I bought  my first boat of going for one that turned out to be too small. 

Hth

Cheers

Trev.

• Like 1

Welcome John, already good advice has been offered. What I will stress is take your time, the looking, trying out, wandering around, long debates over alcohol of should we/shouldn't we, oooooo, its got one of those! This is one of the best bits of boat ownership and it is to be enjoyed. The main initial thinking is around a basic lists of "must haves"!  Its also well worth while looking at boats away from the Broads area as they do carry a price premium similar to the Thames.

Most of all, enjoy it.

Hi and welcome  John 

No such thing as a stupid question someone might want to know the answer and was afraid to ask. We all have to start somewhere. You'll find a lot great answers in this forum and some answers you weren't even expecting.

Happy boating.  Andy

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tjg1677 said:

A good starting point is go for the biggest boat you can afford to purchase, moor, licence, like and most importantly handle. If you stick to that maxim you should end up with one that suits your needs. If you get one too small for you then it is a problem, on a boat you can never have too much space.

Not the be all and end all by any means but it is a good starting point. I made the mistake when I bought  my first boat of going for one that turned out to be too small. 

Hth

Cheers

Trev.

While I agree to a point of the advice of getting a larger vessel one does need bear in mind that 2 of the items mentioned in expenses are totally out of the control of the owner , Mooring's can shoot up in cost and as a lot found out last yr so can tolls   one also needs to keep in mind mooring availability on the chosen stretch of water be that north or south , its pointless having a big boat and worrying if you will be able to moor at your destination or the hassle of not being able to especially in summer .

Above all visit as many  places as you can see as many boats as you can ask advice on anything , what ever you do don't just jump in and if you can take someone with preferably knowledge of that particular model of vessel but certainly of boats in general .

Set your budget and at this time of yr with tolls looming be cheeky if you have to a cheeky bid may well be accepted around now . 

Many thanks to you al for your welcome and advise.

We already have tickets for London Boat show to have a look at what we cannot afford.

After that it was our intention to visit some of the various boat yards around to get a view on what we would like and what we can afford as I am sure the two will not go together,

Will start the questions shortly and keep you all updated.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1