Is It Just Me? Broom Boats Videos

JawsOrca

Hey All,

I need some help here.. My blood is boiling over videos Broom have recently started showing on facebook ..  Boats running along the "Special section" at planning speeds. There are two videos the other I can't find but it doesn't help they sponsor this post and so it shows up every few days but it's more markety showing traditional skills then a closing feature showing huge wash, I'll post it next time.

Broom's comments so far have been "hahaha we are brooms, we are amazing, we have the right, we love animals, yawn" (not them words but that drift)..

Is it just me or have Brooms lost the plot and these videos are just insensitive and showing the special section is being used (or publicised) for the wrong reasons?! 

Do you really expect anything other than that from the people who now run Brooms?? From the people who instead of building that purpose built factory to start a new production facility now find that instead  will actually build houses if we can?

Have you not spotted that its not run by a well established Broadland boating family anymore but by venture capitalists? I am NOT surprised by anything they do!!! Having said that they are closing the brokerage so there may be less of whats shown and equally you upset the RSPB at your peril as they are bigger and have more resources and contacts!!!  ( For those that don't know, that stretch runs right alongside the RSPB Reserve and they have long been very anti that "facility"! )

• Like 1

We too have also come across these lovely boats being trialled.     They are very very considerate and never ever have we been upset by them.        Once we moored in the trees smack bang in the middle of this area (newcomers) and they were careful to ease off long before they got to us , word had obviously got out that someone had moored in the trees.       As Alan has said been going on for years.

Not very easy on the eye, is it? Typical of a semi-displacement hull which is not quite planing, so it makes a large amount of wash.

As far as I know, they are not breaking the law, but I did notice one thing - it does not appear to have a Broads registration and is not showing trade plates. That might be a problem for them, if the ranger is about!

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Do you really expect anything other than that from the people who now run Brooms?? From the people who instead of building that purpose built factory to start a new production facility now find that instead  will actually build houses if we can?

Have you not spotted that its not run by a well established Broadland boating family anymore but by venture capitalists? I am NOT surprised by anything they do!!! Having said that they are closing the brokerage so there may be less of whats shown and equally you upset the RSPB at your peril as they are bigger and have more resources and contacts!!!  ( For those that don't know, that stretch runs right alongside the RSPB Reserve and they have long been very anti that "facility"! )

100% with Marsh on this one.

Brooms might be closing the brokerage but might that simply mean that someone else will be doing it for them? I doubt that we will see any reduction of what's shown. Personally I see it as a typical arrogance that I have come to expect of Brooms.

• Like 1

Like it or not they are allowed to go over the speed limit as too are water ski boats.

To be able to speed as a ski boat you need to meet a lot of criteria and be towing or recovering a skier.
The times and areas are quite restrictive on the rivers too (less so on Breydon).
I’ve no idea what the rules are for anyone else though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This activity is now strictly controlled and they do have to keep a log of what is being done and have a suitably trained helmsman - this log is then open to inspection by the BA at anytime. They should be running under "trade plates" but it is probably not a hanging offence if they just have them with you!

As John says the regulations about waterskiers are even more strict - as far as other boats are concerned I suspect it is now effectively only Brooms and NYA for demonstration purposes and engine testing. Ordinary folk like you or me, are subject to the speed limit and if you want a blast, its only Breydon for us!

• Like 1

I think the problem is long long ago they (and other boat builders) would have used their boats on this stretch of river as they wished - after all it was commercial river back then too.

Times change, speed limits come in and it is argued that it would be unworkable to head all the way down river to the open sea or expanses of Breydon Water to trial their new boats, and so special dispensation as given. I get that but..

You then want to do nothing more than make a new video to promote your brand, and following on Fairline and Princess it has to have the local connection to skilled builders it must show their work in slow motion from sanding wood to cutting vinyl but then rather than showing the boats cutting through some nice chop with ease in blue water with a stereo typical bikini clap lady and her handsome man .

As you will see Broom show one of their boats speeding along the Yare - having shown a stereo typical well dressed man in smart shirt and his ''Norfolk lady' sipping some Pinot Grigio with a bowl of cheese puffs - but that folks is what Broom think is the target market they are going after: A regional Fiance Manager wearing some jeans and a check shirt with his school teacher wife from Sprowston (no offence meant but just what came to mind watching).

Now that is fine if that is the image they want to go for (though it makes me cringe and there are so many other types of boaters out there than those portrayed in such videos) but really did they have to do the speed scene on the river? No they were lazy. They could (and in my opinion) should have showed off what these boats can do - be it on Breydon but better still do the slow cruise, wine sipping happy could stuff on the river, then show the boats sea kindly hull tackle some chop off Yarmouth proving the boats true versatility.

They be allowed to do as they do, but one would have hoped they would have thought twice about the impact 'show boating' has on the banks of the river and what imagine it sets out to others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Marshman is correct in that speed trials on this stretch are heavily restricted with logs and trade plates having to be visible. 

They should do a normal 6mph run to make sure no one is moored on that stretch before a speed trial starts. As also mentioned they need to slow down well before and oncoming boat gets to them. 

NBS will no doubt test here as well as NYA and Brooms. Or anyone else who pays for trade plates and registers with the BA

The second vid looked like a run into surlingham broad before the speedy bit. With regards to both though, how many people in the area are they pitching this at? Not many and the ones interested might not care too much about the bit of wash caused when filming anyway. 

Its certainly been like this as long as I can remember, but maybe stopping this will get all the posh boats off the river and put a few more people out of work!!!

• Like 4

I doubt this will stop what has been going on and seemingly, within the guidelines. After all I have a little sympathy with them doing this - the argument given at one meeting was the the particularly needed this facility so they could "test " the engines. They protested it was too far to Breydon if, as they should, stayed within the speed limits except in this one area.

It was some years ago ( perhaps 6 ? ) that the logbook system was introduced and that the helmsman should be properly qualified, and if the BA are reading this, and they have not been out to check the logbook lately, then perhaps they should just to ensure all is being done according to the book!!

What I object to though, is the attitude being portrayed - its not a river boat they are selling but an estuary or sea boat so why do it on the river where it is not just necessary to justify the sales pitch? Or indeed allowed to be done by a prospective purchaser at all? But then it would cost more money to go to sea to do that, and they are not likely to want to waste a tank of diesel just for publicity!!

I have to say that I am still surprised that nothing yet has been attempted or even tried, at the Brundall site. Time will tell but I bet they have plans, and that its not for boatbuilding. Or thats my view for what its worth - probably not a lot!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As long as the "posh boats" do whatever they like to do without interfering with those of us who are not in "posh boats", then I can't see a problem. Let them play with their toys, and let those who want those sort of boats get on with it. As long as they don't harm anyone or the environment, then live and let live. I have far more of an issue with certain other people than I do with Broom boats. If someone wants to spend their money on a boat the size of a battle cruiser it is up to them. However, I don't think the Broads is a suitable place for such vessels. It is not unlike blowing one's nose on a napkin, one can do it but it was not designed for such a purpose. 

I have seen such boats being "tested" on the River, but they kept well out of our way and appeared to have a large sign indicating that they were exempt from the speed limit. I wonder if my similar sign, written in blue crayon, will be accepted by the riparian constables.

• Like 3

Thankfully it seems I'm not the only one then..

Personally I'm appalled by these videos and deeply ashamed to be a broom owner.

I'd rather see non river speeds be used on non rivers, Breydon and the open sea is not too far away. I've never understood the mentality of these areas when I first saw them all them years ago, it smells to me like underhanded dealings really.  Whilst I understand a small degree of logic, using these areas for marketing material is a long way from what these areas are surely for and we can't allow for these videos to be made uncontested.

(I must add the Broom owners that I have met through this and that they have actually been nice and "normal" people, actually the sensible older generation. I clearly believe it's Broom's marketing whomevers whom are messed up here). 

As per my signature below, the views here are my own.

• Like 2

What a lot of fuss over nothing , as some have said this has been an ongoing thing ie trials for yrs and its not as if broom have just started building seagoing boat that's hspped for yrs too , the area use is actually a water ski area and all the many vessels iv ever seen and there have been many as im on that stretch far more than most have regardless of which broker of the 3 that use it always shown consideration for other 100% , OK the video is s little suspect but going to braydon to test is not an option , it takes far too long to get there and back and buyers won't have all day to go right down there just to open the taps a bit , and even yhsre they have a duty of care and consideration for others its not a free for all , , brooms have many many subcontractors in as supply businesses in brundall and a healthy team of employees too , imagine what would happen if they left ? Lots of folk out of work and business losing turnover isn't good for their employment statistics either , I'm not saying they should get special treatment and trust me they don't not form BA anyway , but seriously iv had a lot more wash and  a dam site less consideration for other vessels by sailing craft at speed and they too run unrestricted speed wise , and no that not an attempt to make this a sail and power thread its purely to point out a fact .

Incidentally how about people turn there attention to the sports boats blasting down the yare at night with no lights and no consideration of others , it happens every weekend in summer and most ain't tolled , they are the villains not those that go about a legal business practice .

That said it does make you think as to if brundall is the best place for large sea going craft I know one thing if I had one it wouldn't be anywhere near brundall simply because of the slog up the river to get there and fuel and time used doing  that , to me that's pointless and quite possibly the reason that some boats come out in winter and go back in spring and never move it between spring and winter , I'd rather have a smaller vessels and use it than a big one and stare at it .

I've not been a regular user of that stretch, just a couple of times a year, but the two times a big Broom has been blasting up and down, they've always slowed as we passed. For sales runs and occasional testing, it doesn't seem a big problem, but a promotional video? Hmmm, not sure that's why the dispensation exists.

• Like 2

Ricardo et al, whilst Brooms and other may have been using such areas for engine test etc for years (rightly or wrongly), I highly doubt that been using these areas for marketing purposes for years, I've certainly not seen them if they have!

• Like 1

The testing area started off just as that, I'm not convinced that it was ever intended to be a 'show off' area. I've long felt that it gives out completely the wrong message. As river cruisers they do provide stately style and extreme comfort in a limited way so why not built and sell some of them for that role? A sea-going version, a river version, even a houseboat version, would that not be worth considering? 

16 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The testing area started off just as that, I'm not convinced that it was ever intended to be a 'show off' area. I've long felt that it gives out completely the wrong message. As river cruisers they do provide stately style and extreme comfort in a limited way so why not built and sell some of them for that role? A sea-going version, a river version, even a houseboat version, would that not be worth considering? 

"A houseboat version", wouldn't that be a bit like Aston Martin offering a pedal power version of the Vantage?

17 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Ricardo et al, whilst Brooms and other may have been using such areas for engine test etc for years (rightly or wrongly), I highly doubt that been using these areas for marketing purposes for years, I've certainly not seen them if they have!

Possibly not purely for marketing purposes but is there any difference in a sea trial as the do quite often and the video its the same wash and they would have to slow if another vessels cane into close quartet's filming or not , I do agree its not really the environment for such a video   but I fail to see how they could have broken any rules regarding exception of speed limit .

21 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

They do in at least the 35 coupé , single or twin engine lay outs , and to be honest I fail to see the attraction of double the bills for twins especially when used mostly on a river with a maximum speed of 6 mph .

3 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

"A houseboat version", wouldn't that be a bit like Aston Martin offering a pedal power version of the Vantage?

Maybe! I have a near neighbour who likes to own cars, cars that are neatly displayed in a row on the lawn so guests can admire the contents of his toy box. They might just as well be peddle powered! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Possibly not purely for marketing purposes but is there any difference in a sea trial as the do quite often and the video its the same wash and they would have to slow if another vessels cane into close quartet's filming or not , I do agree its not really the environment for such a video   but I fail to see how they could have broken any rules regarding exception of speed limit .

As I mentioned above, I strongly disagree with doing planning speeds on a river, certainly on the broads, no matter who owns the boat etc. I certainly disagree when some chap sitting in an office thinks it's cool to make marketing videos of such.  I'd like to think that these videos were taken during legitimate trails but who knows...

7 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Maybe! I have a near neighbour who likes to own cars, cars that are neatly displayed in a row on the lawn so guests can admire the contents of his toy box. They might just as well be peddle powered! 

Indeed, I too have near neighbours who like to own boats that are neatly displayed in a row at the marina, that might as well be pedal powered.