Is It Just Me? Broom Boats Videos

JawsOrca

On 1/8/2018 at 12:44, LondonRascal said:

I think the problem is long long ago they (and other boat builders) would have used their boats on this stretch of river as they wished - after all it was commercial river back then too.

Times change, speed limits come in and it is argued that it would be unworkable to head all the way down river to the open sea or expanses of Breydon Water to trial their new boats, and so special dispensation as given. I get that but..

You then want to do nothing more than make a new video to promote your brand, and following on Fairline and Princess it has to have the local connection to skilled builders it must show their work in slow motion from sanding wood to cutting vinyl but then rather than showing the boats cutting through some nice chop with ease in blue water with a stereo typical bikini clap lady and her handsome man .

As you will see Broom show one of their boats speeding along the Yare - having shown a stereo typical well dressed man in smart shirt and his ''Norfolk lady' sipping some Pinot Grigio with a bowl of cheese puffs - but that folks is what Broom think is the target market they are going after: A regional Fiance Manager wearing some jeans and a check shirt with his school teacher wife from Sprowston (no offence meant but just what came to mind watching).

Now that is fine if that is the image they want to go for (though it makes me cringe and there are so many other types of boaters out there than those portrayed in such videos) but really did they have to do the speed scene on the river? No they were lazy. They could (and in my opinion) should have showed off what these boats can do - be it on Breydon but better still do the slow cruise, wine sipping happy could stuff on the river, then show the boats sea kindly hull tackle some chop off Yarmouth proving the boats true versatility.

They be allowed to do as they do, but one would have hoped they would have thought twice about the impact 'show boating' has on the banks of the river and what imagine it sets out to others.

Love this video, the only picture of a boat is an RC45 built by Sheerline!

• Like 4

Well I like the Broom video, no matter what the speed.  They are certainly not breaking any local bylaws and they have been doing this kind of thing on these stretches of the river right since the late 1800's and the river is still there in all its majesty.  I like the Broom brand, always have done.  Now if only I could stretch to a woodie Admiral or an Ocean 42.  I would like to think that the Broom brand could be associated with the NBN is some form or other

Griff

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

There are clearly a number of issues here,they along with other groups are allowed to exceed the speed limit.This is controlled. I don't have a problem with this.Having moored at Brundall for nearly  nine years it's something that does not worry me.In fact been thrown around more on Breydon. The issue of showing a boat flat out on the broads is perhaps giving the wrong  impression. At sea fine.

Now if I luckly enough to own a new Brooms,mine would be a whiskey not gin palace

19 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Well I like the Broom video, no matter what the speed.  They are certainly not breaking any local bylaws and they have been doing this kind of thing on these stretches of the river right since the late 1800's and the river is still there in all its majesty.  I like the Broom brand, always have done.  Now if only I could stretch to a woodie Admiral or an Ocean 42.  I would like to think that the Broom brand could be associated with the NBN is some form or other

Griff

Tell you what I am going to the boat show. I could ask them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

Yes, the river is indeed still there and not half a mile wide, as it would be if erosion was such an issue. 

i'm all for sections for water skiing or testing but its amazing how many boats are tested at about 7pm on bank holidays, they never display trade plates and probably are not licensed to do so, 

I have lived and worked in Horning for 15 years now and never seen a water skier . 

also the boats on 'test' are not aware of the boundaries, unless they just ignore them. 

im not throwing stones as I know I don't always stick within some guidelines but I also see plenty of speeding  boats owned by people who are very quick to criticise others for speeding... 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Broom Boats will always be a bit special to me.

The very first boat we hired was Broom Navigator 2 way back in the mists of time which started my love for The Broads which is as strong today as it ever was.

I know management has changed over the years etc. But it’s still Broom to me.

The video is very well and professionally produced promo with a lot of post production, it’s not just a guy with a camera on a boat filming for YouTube (no disrespect to YouTubers, there’s some stuff out there)

I am very impressed with Broom Boats and proud that they are a Norfolk company, competing successfully, in a very challenging market.

And don't forget Oyster .... another luxury brand but a little more tricky to demonstrate on the Bure!

And let's not forget the other boatbuilders on the Broads providing much needed employment.

Long may it be encouraged to continue .........

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

i'm all for sections for water skiing or testing but its amazing how many boats are tested at about 7pm on bank holidays, they never display trade plates and probably are not licensed to do so, 

I have lived and worked in Horning for 15 years now and never seen a water skier . 

also the boats on 'test' are not aware of the boundaries, unless they just ignore them. 

im not throwing stones as I know I don't always stick within some guidelines but I also see plenty of speeding  boats owned by people who are very quick to criticise others for speeding... 

Absolutely and totally agree Clive iv seen plenty of this type of " testing " in the brundall area , even the guy from Norwich had the stupidity to come tearing past whitlingham around a month ago at 1 am ish , that was reported but I suspect BA were already prosecuting at that point .

I'm assuming the trade plates were airbrushed out during post production editing :default_norty: Seriously though, where would the boats, hire and private, come from if there wasn't boat builders on the Broads? The Broads needs these companies and like them or not, the larger boats do tend to bring some bigger spending money to The Broads.

Now if it came to a choice of letting Brooms film a few videos and trialling a few boats at appropriate times, or seeing the whole site disappear to luxury riverside apartments with neat manicured lawns, I know which I would choose.

To return to the original post that started this thread, I can see why some would be upset at the way in which the video shows a sea going boat at speed on the river, but at the same time, don't all promotional videos use a little bit of poetic license? Surely anyone thinking of investing in the dream of one of these boats is going to do their homework, want to go to sea, and most importantly do their research first if planning on keeping the boat on The Broads, and realise that there are speed limits. If I lived in Mayfair and purchased a Ferrari, I still know I'm only going to be allowed to do more than 30mph once I get out of the city. If I'm lucky I might even reach 40mph on the M25. :default_party0010:

• Like 5

Many people talk of Brooms with a degree of reverence, still deserved I'm sure, but lets not forget that whilst the boats are still excellent the company  is no longer owned by the Broom family.  Broom in name but is it in name only? Actually I think that the company has moved on well. 

• Like 1

Not sure Ian how you can, talk about Brooms in the same thread as a couple of loose cannons. The brand Brooms is still respected, still dreamed of being owned by many. Lets keep the two things both in their perspectives, Brooms never broke no laws as far as I can see. The two loose cannons did break laws and were dealt with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

I doubt we'll see that after some of the comments here, Charlie...............

• Sad 1

That would be a shame but I doubt there’s any social media out there where all feedback will be positive about any company.
If I were Brooms I’d treat the whole thing as very valuable marketing information. They’d pay thousands if they went to a market research company to get public opinion on their adverts. Plus the overall feedback on Brooms as a whole has been very positive in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Re: Sponsers.

I would find it very distaseful if open debate was muzzled to please sponsers or potential sponsers.

This thread has been nothing but friendly with clear reasons in support and with contra auguments.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

This thread has been nothing but friendly with clear reasons in support and with contra auguments.

Well said.

I was thinking myself that for a forum to be able to have such an interesting, serious, informed and yet controversial debate, without a whiff of rudery and without moderation, says a lot for us.   

:default_icon_clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1